Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How to pedal mendelssohn concerto 1 3rd movement  (Read 1585 times)

Offline maestroanth

How to pedal mendelssohn concerto 1 3rd movement
on: June 15, 2016, 02:07:24 AM
This is kinda driving me nuts but whenever I feel I add any pedal (which I know the performer does in my recording), it feels like my sixteenths lose some for their evenness.  I've been mainly just pedaling with the slur markings.

I was just curious if anyone knows of a 'standard' for the pedaling in this piece.....

Or it might be just a psychological pseudo OCD thing I need to get over too, idk.

Offline maestroanth

Re: How to pedal mendelssohn concerto 1 3rd movement
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 03:42:55 AM
Anyway, I've been practicing this tonight just adding some wetness on the 2nd beat with the diminished chord on the fast sixteenths sections which is kinda how I like to phrase it (orchestra trills sinking into that chords), and I'm thinking I'm a little more pleased with this sound. IDK>..

Offline maestroanth

Re: How to pedal mendelssohn concerto 1 3rd movement
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:58 AM
Alrighty, in case anyone else is trying to learn this, to make those sixteenths not sound terrible, it's the second and 4th beats I found need a little wetness to imitate the orchestra's articulation and it sounds like a million times better, and slow practice punching out little accents in your RH's weak fingers (needs to be loudest over everything which is kinda hard) on every downbeat and my sound has gotten a lot better and the ear can follow a melody even without an orchestra (orchestra has the *real* melody, but you can hear it in the 16's).  SO I is happy finally!  ;D

It's just that he didn't write anything like this in the music as any hints to make it sound good.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert