Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Different ways to improvise when playing a piece?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline spenstar

Different ways to improvise when playing a piece?
on: June 25, 2016, 03:11:10 AM
 I often practice things quite far below my level. (Things such as hymns for my church or coming across a simple piece when practicing sight reading.) I've taken this as a change to start practicing improvising, but it's never something I've been taught. I've tried throwing chords in and little trills but that's about it. With the chords it works sometimes, but other times it won't work because it's a part that's supposed to be 'little' and the chord ruins the effect. As for trills, I can't throw that in a hymn or that would just ruin it. So what are some other things I can do when improvising on a piece of music?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Different ways to improvise when playing a piece?
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 01:57:19 AM
Try approaching from a perspective of complete freedom.  No rules, no theory, no pre-determined theme, no such thing as "wrong notes".  Just start playing and make music with what you are doing.  This approach has been advocated by several on PS (Ted has written much about this).  The idea is that for one new to improvising, one needs to first develop a flow of ideas.  This flow is important as it is what also allows you to implement more established musical ideas in a fluid manner. 

You can also work on something specific like chords.  Do something like secondary dominants.  Good thing about them is that they can be used both inside and outside of a tonal framework.  You can have something normal sounding, or go off on come crazy adventure. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert