Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Stage fright cure  (Read 1281 times)

Offline CC

• PS Silver Member
Stage fright cure
on: June 26, 2016, 04:53:50 AM
The only cure for stage fright is the desire to make music and the confidence that you can perform to your own satisfaction which comes from proper teaching and experience. But most of us aren't that lucky, so we get nervous -- what can you do, then?

I've recently discovered proper yoga type breathing routines that can wipe out nervousness, so i have written it all down.  What is needed are the specific breathing routines, methods for practicing them (you don't get nervous that often, so how do you practice them every day???), and biological reasons for why they work (here, based on autonomous processes).  It is quite detailed, so go to section (1a) in my web page link below.

Since the method also works for inducing sleep, you can practice it every day when going to bed at night.  A bonus benefit is that you can now create a sleep switch for falling asleep!  Learning piano teaches a lot of useful things outside of music!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if I posted this before, but I can't find it.
C.C.Chang; my home page:

https://www.pianopractice.org/

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stage fright cure
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:24:30 PM
cc,
Two comments.

Ear wax.  H2O2 feels good as it bubbles, but the component of the commercial remedies that actually softens the wax is the vegetable oil.  You can use olive oil, canola oil, any vegetable oil that you're not allergic to (might want to avoid peanut oil, e.g.) to soften your ear wax. 

Breathing.  If you are only a piano player your exercises are fine.  If you play a wind instrument you need to be cautious about holding your breath.  It is really better to have no gap at all between the inhale and exhale, if you want to avoid valsalva and dystonias. 
Tim

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert