Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: A Bach Prelude Full of Variety  (Read 1042 times)

Offline josh93248

VIDEO: A Bach Prelude Full of Variety
on: June 30, 2016, 11:21:40 AM
Hi everyone!

This piece has been in my rep a long time but now it's finally recorded. I'd appreciate hearing people's reactions.

Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: A Bach Prelude Full of Variety
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:36:01 PM
this is really solid! Great work. Enjoyed listening/watching.  I feel the same about some pieces, may learn to a certain standard but not feel like the recordings match what I know is in me or my head or my understanding of what it should be like. I think it's good you went back to do this, I should do/should have done more of this in the past myself.

i like your flow and long lines and voicing and you used good judgement w/ pedaling vs legao

Btw, slightly off topic but slightly not, given your work w/ that cool little jazzyish 20th century peice few weeks ago you uploaded and your good understanding of Bach's lines, i would love to see you record this (it's been on my list for a while but just haven't gotten around to learning it, actually i had score and moved and i think i lost it so i have to buy the book again). Matsumoto has knack for this type of thing and i love a lot of her arrangements. Here is her treatment of that basic Bach invention w/ a new twist, if anything might peek your interest but yeah, i'll put a 'request' if for this if you manage to get the score (MUST published and diarezzo and tutti in the UK distribute so easier for UK to get these than here in US but I have my source and will likely re order this ), btw there's two volumes of these various pieces, this is from the 2nd book

*give it a few secs to get through stating the basic theme and her variation pops in right after
//not her best arrangement but it's neat given the simple piece it's based on, her other stuff is way spicier ie see her her play her own arrangement of this Chopin here, so given her jazzy skills some of her other pieces may appeal to you (though i'm not sure this one is published)

Offline josh93248

Re: VIDEO: A Bach Prelude Full of Variety
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:30:09 PM
Thanks a lot Visitor, I'd like to hear some of this rep you've had stashed in the back of your mind, don't be afraid to message me in some way if you upload stuff because I may miss it.

I'll tell you what, I don't particularly know about being able to get that version of a piece you request... However if you want to make a request that I could get from IMSLP or something like that then that would be great.

I have my ridiculous plans to play many, most or all the keyboard works of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Scriabin, Schubert, Mussorgsky, Scarlatti, Tchaikovsky, Ravel, Debussy, Schumann, Haydn, Borodin and a few others. I could use some help deciding what to do sooner rather than later, any reasonable suggestions that I can accommodate or that fit with what I have (I prefer to use solid Urtext versions, especially Henle, when possible so I'll be more likely to favour pieces from books like that which I already have)
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert