Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: help with music choice  (Read 1810 times)

Offline iplaypianolol

help with music choice
on: July 14, 2016, 12:15:26 AM
hi im a piano player who wants to learn a piano concerto for fun (im considering playing it in a competition but not sure yet). i was wondering if people had concerto suggestions, since i dont really know where to start. also i dont have a piano teacher anymore so i would be learning it on my own, but i consider myself fairly capable. some of the pieces ive played in the past to get an idea of difficulty include: mozart sonata k457, beethoven sonata op 90 no 27, rachmaninoff prelude op 23 no 5, some chopin etudes, beethoven moonlight sonata, thats all i can remember off the top of my head. any ideas? also i would possibly only play one movement.

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Re: help with music choice
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 02:46:49 AM
Hi iplaypianolol,

Have you looked at

-Saint Saëns Piano Concerto No.2
-Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 and No.3
-Grieg A Minor Piano Concerto

?

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:14:56 PM
Start with a later classical concerto. If you're new to playing with other musicians, this is critical. Better to learn how to connect with the orchestra without all the technical demands of a romantic concerto.
That said, here are some options:
Mozart: D minor (20), C major (21), A major (23), C minor (24). You could do probably any Mozart one, but these are some of the more interesting ones.
Beethoven: I would recommend the C minor, but any of the first three are doable for someone of your skill level.

Also remember the limitations of your orchestra; both in size and in skill.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 06:33:20 PM
If  you haven't done much ensemble work before, maybe also consider doing some chamber work as prep.  Something like a violin + piano sonata or woodwind + piano.  There are players out there looking for a pianist to team up with. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 06:43:53 PM
Keeping it t a manageable lengthis a challenge
 Most post classical concertos will clock in over 35 min. by time you complete all movements    I would stick w extended form works or very  short concertos. My first pickmight be

Kabalevsky Rhapsody on the theme "school years" op75
It's my no 2 favorite concerto

alternately is
what is actually favorite concerto of all concertos

Kabalevsky no 3.

Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue

Addinsell Warsaw Concerto

all the bove will do in 10 about 20 min. Or ao

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 06:46:22 PM
If  you haven't done much ensemble work before, maybe also consider doing some chamber work as prep.  Something like a violin + piano sonata or woodwind + piano.  There are players out there looking for a pianist to team up with. 

+1. !!!!!!!!!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert