Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Kazhlayev, Prelude No. 4 from Six Preludes  (Read 2132 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Kazhlayev, Prelude No. 4 from Six Preludes
on: July 16, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
Murad Kazhlayev, a composer and conductor, was born in Baku, Russia in 1931.  He graduated from the Baku State Conservatory. There he studied composition with Boris Zeidman. Kazhlayev was a teacher at the Tchaikovsky Music School in Makhachkala.  He was the chief conductor of the Dagestan Radio Symphonic Orchestra and later the Artistic Director of the Dagestan Philharmonic Hall Orchestra. And for 10 years he was in charge of the Variety Symphonic Orchestra named after Y. V. Silantyev. Most recently he established the Dagestan Musical School for Gifted Children.  He also founded a museum dedicated to the musical culture of Dagestan affiliated with the school.  Kazhlayev has been recognized and awarded several times including the prestigious People’s Artist of the USSR and the Order for the Merit for Dagestan Republic.  

I hope you'll enjoy hearing this piece.  Be prepared for some dissonance! 

Comments welcome.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid fully raised.
Recorder: Roland R-44
Mics: Matched pair of Earthworks TC-20 small diaphragm, omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Kazhlayev, Prelude No. 4 from Six Preludes
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 04:05:21 AM
Nice performance! It is a pretty piece which I'm completely unfamiliar with - I always like hearing new pieces. Out of curiosity, how did you learn of this piece and composer?

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:03:34 PM
Hi pianiststrongbad,

Thanks for your compliment on my playing!

It's been awhile!  As for Kazhlayev's "Six Preludes", recently I attempted several times to send the sheet music to his email address. Even when it displayed "Sent" at my end, it never arrived at the destination. And I had tried two different email facilities. You might want to try  pianophilia.   

David   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:31:53 PM
Rachfan (David, right?),

This was a wonderful performance of a beautifully penned composition. Thank you for sharing lesser known music with us all. I do love Kazhlayev's preludes. My first time hearing the was several months ago and I just thought to myself: " Why don't more people play these?! " Thank you again for posting this. Myself and the rest of PS are really grateful to have you here!

Best,

AJ

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:35:13 PM
This is lovely playing as always David, and again, a dark/warm "American" sound from a great vintage Baldwin such as yours (I suspect would sound good on a Mason Hamlin as well) does the piece justice.
I hear glimpses of Gershwin here with pops of more tonally provocative spots dispersed throughout, I liked it a lot.
I have  a hard time suggesting much in the way of things to 'improve' or look for, however my only though is that within the texture and your phrase planning, perhaps trying to find ways to emphasize those spicier harmonies more, maybe a little accent, or tenuto, or slight cresc into them with a backing off in the resolution, std stuff you might do in a Beethoven or Mozart work where more complex harmonies  highlight opportunities for more emotive playing, but this is a minor 'taste' suggestion and  not suggesting your piece was lacking, it just something I might try to look at.

I'm working on a prelude at theme moment that's almost done and these are things I'm trying to apply given some similarities in the work I'm prepping and this fine one you presented thanks for
sharing.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 10:42:26 PM
Hi AJ,

Yes, David is correct. 

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it.  I've had some similar comments from others too.  To some extent we all enjoy the "standard repertoire".  But then again, listeners also like to break away to hear something that's relatively unknown or forgotten.  There are some real gems out there. And of course the music isn't new as such, but it's "new" because it has surfaced from obscurity.  I like nothing better than giving a boost to an unknown composer. 

Thanks again.

David   

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 10:58:03 PM
Hi visitor,

Thanks for the kudos, I really appreciate it. 

I too noted that Gershwin pops sound.  Turns out he also wrote "I Got Rhythm" which plays a prominent part in this prelude. 

Thanks too for your thoughts on pianism and performance.  Those are all good suggestions you shared.

David

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 02:51:43 AM
I didn't register anything particularly dissonant to my ears, just a series of interesting harmonies, well thought out and, as usual, sensitively played. His influences in this one, however, unlike the previous prelude you posted, were clearly American rather than from the British school of Ireland and company. He was (oops, is, he is still alive !) clearly a very eclectic musician, who must have found the Russian system intolerably stifling to his creative spirit. Thanks again for drawing him to our attention.

Ted.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:10:23 AM
Fine playing, David.  This sounds to me like a variation of "I Got Rhythm."  I was able
to withstand the dissonances. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 05:03:28 AM
Hi Ted,

Thanks for your thoughts on Kazhlayev as composer.  I have to agree with you.  Thanks for listening and commenting.

David

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 05:07:06 AM
Hi goldentone,

Thanks for your compliment!  I'm glad you enjoyed this recording.

David

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 01:31:51 AM
Hi AJ,

I just looked at my longevity here.  Looks like I joined Piano Street on January 4, 2003.  So 13 years to date here!  My memorization is gone, so it takes longer to prepare a piece now.  But I really enjoy doing and posting recordings.

David

P.S.  The temps have been in the 90s with uncomfortable humidity too. It's probably worse in FL.  Have a good night.

David    
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert