Piano Forum

Topic: Engraving  (Read 1329 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Engraving
on: July 17, 2016, 05:19:42 AM
I've always loved making scores look nice. I've been doing it for a while now and would love to make my own editions. I've got some know how and a community of people with whom I can collaborate.
How does one go about publishing your own engravings?
Thanks!

Offline marijn1999

Re: Engraving
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:28:07 AM
My guess would be to find a publishing house (not a big one) and contact them. Although I'm not sure at all how to aproach this. Also, there are already a lot of big, well-established classical music publishers out there (Henle, Peters, Schirmer) and as the interest in classical music only seems to shrink with the times... :'( (at least, that's what I'm noticing).

But I would say, try it, contact several smaller publishing houses and see if they're willing to co-operate with you. Is it your own music btw? Because when trying to publish your own music you will probably have more luck.

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 06:02:25 PM
You could consider trying self-publishing; it's not cheap to set up properly if you're planning to issue hard copies but relatively so if you're transmitting electronic files.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 06:41:30 PM
My guess would be to find a publishing house (not a big one) and contact them. Although I'm not sure at all how to aproach this. Also, there are already a lot of big, well-established classical music publishers out there (Henle, Peters, Schirmer) and as the interest in classical music only seems to shrink with the times... :'( (at least, that's what I'm noticing).

But I would say, try it, contact several smaller publishing houses and see if they're willing to co-operate with you. Is it your own music btw? Because when trying to publish your own music you will probably have more luck.

BW,
Marijn
Good idea. I'll definitely look into it; thanks!
Some of it is my own music, but a lot of it is Respighi. I've always loved his music and never been satisfied with the quality of any available scores.

You could consider trying self-publishing; it's not cheap to set up properly if you're planning to issue hard copies but relatively so if you're transmitting electronic files.

Best,

Alistair
That may be the way to go for me, assuming I can't get my foot in the door with a publishing company. I have a fairly sizable portfolio, however, so hopefully this is only a last resort.
With the software I use (Finale 2014), I can get everything exactly how I want it before sending it off, so it wouldn't hurt for me to stick with sending/selling PDFs for a while.
Many thanks!

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:46:43 PM
There is, I believe, an area on the Sibelius website devoted to self-publishing and composer scores. Maybe there is something analogous for Finale?
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 10:12:24 PM
I wouldn't expect an existing publisher to be interested in your contributions.  Print publishing is such a low reward business these days, existing publishers want you to buy the editions they have invested in creating, not start new ones.  The last paper score shop in NYC closed last spring, it was covered in PBS.
OTOH, paper editions do have a small niche market made slightly rewarding due to the free publicity of the internet.  There is a print shop in Lexington KY making hand printed books, with some success.  
So, you need to create original scores in photo or print form, that some such business with presses would reproduce for you.  Then the act of selling them could be at your own risk.  
The differentiation would be, for example, the use of archival quality paper, instead of the stuff that runs through copy machines.  I've had photocopies yellow and get brittle in only ten years.  And I was appalled at the paper quality of a famous source of the works of Debussy, for example.  9"x12" scores, plus, original Debussey checked editing, plus, turned brown between the time I bought it and the time I have to practice it, minus,  rips up when I turn the page, BIIIG minus.  
There is a reproductions house in Indianapolis that produces paper copies of things available in IMSLP.  Not having to go to the library and wrestle with their practicies and printers, big plus.  Paper quality, minus, 8 1/2 x 11 format, minus. I don't know if this will yellow or get brittle in 20 years, but we'll see. 
There are a lot of words in the paper business that are just adjectives, that don't mean very much.  Acid free, archival quality, hand laid, blah blah.  What I want to know is will it turn yellow before I die, will the pages rip, will they stand up on the music rack without the corners turning down?  Will the binding fall apart?  Peters & Dover have **** for editors, but their editions I bought in the early 80's are holding up okay.  Can you break into the paper part of the print business enough to print good editions, useful for keyboard players that don't want to buy a new wonder display every five years from the wizards that brought you sand islands in the S China Sea?  Can you apply all the free scholarship on scores that resides in  all the forgotten theses in libraries around the world, without violating copyright?  Can you do that and stand up on the music rack, too, for more than the six years that copy machine paper will stand up. 
So the world is looking for someone to make a few really good copies of famous scores. A brand name could be built up with a reputation for quality and scholarship.  It could be you.   It may not be remunerative.  At least you don't have to worry in that business about the format going obsolete, the way computer games lose their target platform.    People are still learning piano, thousands in the far East alone. 
Best of luck in your trial.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 09:29:30 AM
At The Sorabji Archive in UK, we've been issuing hard copies of Sorabji's scores (and my own) for almost 30 years and also .pdf files for 4 years. All the material is held as .pdf files which we either print and mail or send as .pdfs to whomsoever orders them.

We have a website at sorabji-archive.co.uk which includes a brochure of available material with prices; a website is essential if you want to self-publish.

Sending out .pdf files is, of course, much cheaper and quicker than sending out paper copies although it's not an option for those who either do not have their own printing facilities or a company within easy distance who can print off .pdf files from disc for them.

Best,

Alisair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 05:17:33 PM
You could try working for a publisher that does educational material.  It seems that there is a constant supply of new books and series for beginning musicians.  With graded conservatory systems like RCM refreshing their syllabus every few years, there is also a need for a new series to accompany that syllabus. 

It could be a way to get your foot in the door. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 07:36:58 PM
It would also give me a pathway to some composing; the local music federation is always looking for more easy student pieces to get some variety in their festivals and things.
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert