Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mozart k397 Fantasy in D minor scale runs, help!  (Read 2591 times)

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
Mozart k397 Fantasy in D minor scale runs, help!
on: July 29, 2016, 04:03:39 AM
Hi, how do you measure the scale runs, there are irregular grouping of 10 notes per beat, etc. That sounds difficult. any tips?. Or it just means that the should be played as fast as possible?

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart k397 Fantasy in D minor scale runs, help!
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:26:50 AM
You could have a listen to Gilels' version of the fantasy on youtube. His runs are amazing.

From what I remember when I play it...

Very slight delay in the first note or 2 for both runs.
Then fast as possible, but keeping a rhythm. I like slight wrist emphasis on the Cs as the first note of the smooth descending sequence.

Then make sure the last 3-4 notes are clearly defined, which I try not to slow down in the first run on the way down.
First run the notes back up start soft on the C, but slow down at the end giving emphasis to the F#-A-C-Eflat without making it louder.

I do slow down in the second run  (The G-F-E-D before the A) on the way down as well as the C#-D-D#-E before the F on the way up, making sure the F is very controlled and clear. Getting that run soft, clear and controlled at speed at the end I find quite hard.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart k397 Fantasy in D minor scale runs, help!
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:25 AM

break the grouping down if you struggle w their rhythm
for most even just say "university university"
so a 4 /4 measure w 2 "dectets" [not sure how you call it but easier to say 4x  quintuplets]- or 4 quintuplets on beat [2 quintuplets] 2 and [2 quintuplets] 4 could count and eights on1 and  4...

1  and
university university
3 and
university university

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert