Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Books on piano pedalling?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline alkan2010

• PS Silver Member
Books on piano pedalling?
on: August 02, 2016, 02:25:46 PM
I recently stumbled upon Musafia's book on piano fingering and Merrick's one on practise at the piano. Two nice manuals with lots of practical case and fun to read.
I wonder, are there books of similar nature about pedalling?
Thanks a lot  :)
Currently on:
Bach - WTK Book 1 n. 5-6
Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique
Rachmaninov - Polichinelle op. 3
Studies from Clementi and Moscheles
Telemann - Fantasias 1-2 in D
Haydn - b minor Sonata

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Books on piano pedalling?
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 02:57:30 PM
i have this:

Bowen, York. Pedalling the Modern Pianoforte. [London]: Oxford University Press, 1964.

and here is a digitized version to review of David Rowland's work
https://books.google.com/books?id=L5tcRFlaw0YC&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq=bowne+pedaling+the+modern+pianoforte&source=bl&ots=rN9I7WoojG&sig=EJk9WDY3p0FmhKpp2EP1umqS-RM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb4Kq2_qLOAhUh44MKHUZOASo4ChDoAQg8MAU#v=onepage&q=bowne%20pedaling%20the%20modern%20pianoforte&f=false
*just use the scroll button to go to the top/beginning, you may have to copy paste the link vs clicking if the board truncates the address
content
Table of Contents

Acknowledgements
Introduction
Part I: The Instruments:
1. The transition from the harpsichord and clavichord to the piano
2. Stops, levers and pedals
Part II. Pedalling and the Early Pianists:
3. Documentary accounts of early pedalling
4. Early technique of the pedals as described in tutors
5. Early pedal markings
6. Mozart and his contemporaries
Part III. Pedalling After c.1820:
7. The emergence of modern pedalling
8. The sustaining pedal after c.1800
9. Other pedals from c.1800
Appendix: J. P. Milchmeyer, Die wahre Art das Pianoforet zu spielen
Louis Adam: Méthode de Piano du Conservatoire
Daniel Steibelt, Méthode de Piano.

also ref a couple interesting academic papers on the matter and related
https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=bgsu1428503747&disposition=inline

https://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1115&context=ppr

Offline louispodesta

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:21:12 PM
I recently stumbled upon Musafia's book on piano fingering and Merrick's one on practise at the piano. Two nice manuals with lots of practical case and fun to read.
I wonder, are there books of similar nature about pedalling?
Thanks a lot  :)
I recommend this book by the Concert Pianist Joseph Banowetz of the University of North Texas, who was a student of the late Gyorgy Sandor.  His first book was the "Art of Pedaling."

This is the second incarnation of this most valuable technique, which as he has previously stated, is his original research combined with that of fellow colleagues (as well as his own students):
"The Pianist's Guide to Pedaling" (Midland Book) Paperback  – September 22, 1992, by Joseph Banowetz.

Your local music library should have it, or you can get it from Amazon.  It is pretty much considered the Bible on this subject.

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:42:25 PM
"The Pianist's Guide to Pedaling" (Midland Book) Paperback  – September 22, 1992, by Joseph Banowetz.

I just ordered my used copy on Amazon.  Looks great based on looking at the table of contents and reviews of people who used the book.  Thank you.

The book is in 2 parts: 1) Pedaling techniques and 2) Pedaling works of selected composers and styles.  The 2nd part has sections on a) Bach, b) Haydn and Mozart, c) Beethoven, d) Chopin, etc. etc.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert