Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What does someone do in 9 hours of practice per day?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
What does someone do in 9 hours of practice per day?
on: August 05, 2016, 03:46:25 PM
I recall reading somewhere that Horowitz practiced 9 hours a day.  I struggle to fully concentrate on one hour a day.

So, just as a topic for discussion:

What would a professional pianist do in 9 hours a day of practice?

How does one develop that concentration "muscle"?

Thanks, all!

Offline dogperson

Re: What does someone do in 9 hours of practice per day?
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
Hi
I'm not sure of the source of your information that Horowitz practiced this long per day.
Per an interview conducted with him, Horowitz said

I practice four hours a day and have done so for years. An artist must keep up a large
repertoire, and must continually add to it. The new compositions require new technique

https://www.sfinstituteofmusic.org/horowitz_interview.pdf 

In addition, Chopin advised his students to practice two hours per day.

Those who practice 8-9 hours per day will need to respond to whether it is effective for them and how they structure their time. 

Offline stevensk

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 05:38:56 PM

-Well, try it and see if it works for you!  ;)

Offline marijn1999

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:56:39 PM
A lot.
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 06:06:44 PM
probably work to very effectively develop significant neurosis (aka  excessive and irrational anxiety or obsession).
 :)

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 04:52:07 PM
I used to practice almost 7-8 hrs/day(well, on non working days.). But after 6 months of doing that, i seem to realize that my body and brain just won't learn anything at all when I exceed approx 4-5 hours or more. Hope this gives you an Idea.
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline kuska

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 06:34:01 PM
I can imagine there's a lot to do. Always. But I had enough after 5 hours (did only that much like for two or three weeks) and I guess it just doesn't work.

Offline gore234

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 08:39:22 PM
When my parents were both working, I could practice for 9 hours if I wanted to but I probably only practiced 5 hours or less each day.

Now I barely have any time to practice at all because I'm either working or looking for a job.  I might be cooking, or doing laundry or spending to much time on social media. 

I find myself going to the piano and improvising a little bit rather than practicing classical pieces like I use to.  Then going away from the piano to do a chore that needs to be done.

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 09:35:16 PM
Hi,

Practicing over four hours won't get you to be productive... But what I do in my practicing is practice on a piece for an hour or two, then move on to the next piece. By the time fours passed, you are either tired or you want to play more but the fifth hour will be less productive. I used to practice six hours a day, but noticed that I should be doing homework instead :P

Natsu
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert