Piano Forum

Topic: Fantasie Impromptu as my first piece [audio]  (Read 5854 times)

Offline vaniii

Re: Fantasie Impromptu as my first piece [audio]
Reply #100 on: August 17, 2016, 07:55:10 AM
That is reassuring to hear.

Despite my disagreement with your method, I respect you enough to at least offer my honesty.

As stated, most students require ego massage; which is not in the least bit conducive for progress.

Yes you can get this to a standard,  however you must also consider, your highest standard at this point in time is limited by your ability to understand the score; that being Chopin's work, or perhaps as previously stated the detail and nuance within it.

To think otherwise is arogance; alas, I cannot convince you. I have said enough on this matter and will only lend my ear as a musician.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fantasie Impromptu as my first piece [audio]
Reply #101 on: August 17, 2016, 05:12:57 PM
Teddy, thank you for posting the video recording.  It is good to hear that you have decided to study with a teacher.  It is evident you have accomplished a lot, and a teacher will help direct your learning.

A few items:

The next time you do a video recording, place the camera horizontal.  If you notice on Youtube the huge black bars on the sides, by shooting the video vertically there is a lot of unused space.  Shoot horizontally and you will make better use of the screen space. Vertical video might look ok on a phone, but once you start viewing on computer/tv screens you can see why it is preferable to shoot horizontal. 

Regarding difficult places in the music: practice backwards.  Don't always run the piece linearly from beginning to end.  If the coda brings you greater difficulty, practice the coda first.  After doing that, add a few measures of music before the coda to catch the transition.  Following that, add a few measures before the section you just practiced, and so on.

For example:

Say you were dealing with sections of a piece that went like this:
1, 2, 3, 4

Practice this first:

Then do this
3, 4

Then this:
2, 3, 4

Then put it together:
1, 2, 3, 4
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert