Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: popular vs. classical  (Read 1481 times)

Offline kuska

popular vs. classical
on: August 16, 2016, 05:20:05 PM
Hey guys,

It seems I have more problems with understanding popular music (mostly dynamics) in comparison to classical. It's like I can't realy feel it or at least it seems so to me. I guess I was taught classical music all those years but could this problem be real?

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Re: popular vs. classical
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:44:36 PM
Hi kuska,

By popular music, do you mean like Justin Bieber Song of **** or Fur Elise?

I was taught what you probably refer to as "classical music", but who knows.

What I would suggest doing in modern "hit" songs are listening to their original recordings and copying the dynamics. In my opinion, it is not fun to play modern music, because everyone else is used to the original recording, and they will reject your original interpretation, no matter how musical it might be.

Natsu

Offline pjjslp

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:31:41 AM
Hey guys,

It seems I have more problems with understanding popular music (mostly dynamics) in comparison to classical. It's like I can't realy feel it or at least it seems so to me. I guess I was taught classical music all those years but could this problem be real?

Well, I have immense trouble with syncopated rhythms in popular music. I know what it's supposed to sound like but playing it is very difficult for me! I have been playing classical music for more than 30 years and I recently found it much easier to read through a Mozart sonata first movement than the sheet music for 100 Years by Five for Fighting. I'm sure it's a matter of familiarity with a style.

Edited to add... Please ignore if my assumption about your intended meaning of "popular" was wrong.  ;)

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:36:30 AM
Well, I have immense trouble with syncopated rhythms in popular music. I know what it's supposed to sound like but playing it is very difficult for me! I have been playing classical music for more than 30 years and I recently found it much easier to read through a Mozart sonata first movement than the sheet music for 100 Years by Five for Fighting. I'm sure it's a matter of familiarity with a style.

Edited to add... Please ignore if my assumption about your intended meaning of "popular" was wrong.  ;)

Popular music is much easier to read through than Hungarian Rhapsody, but you are right.

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 12:53:22 AM
What helped me:

Dancing.

I am a fairly terrible dancer, but to really learn how to play pop music, I had to close the drapes, chase the family out of the house, send the pets off with some absorbing treats and just dance.

I did/do this frequently.  It hasn't made me a better dancer, but it has given me a better feel for playing popular music.

Offline vaniii

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 01:18:42 AM
Music is music.

Classical music is restrictive, disciplined and about precision and doing exactly what is being asked on you.

Popular styles are free; I consider popular performance (when skillfully executed) to be one of the most creative, inviting and inclusive forms of music.

It is heavily improvised and based on the colours you interpret as artistic performer.

You can take four chords and play them in a variety of ways creating a song.  The beautiful thing is, no two renditions will be exactly the same becuase the nuance is improvised.

For fun, I put my tablet on the piano, and pick a random pop song from 1980 to 2010, and attempt to recreate the 'groove'.

The colours available on a piano are suite satisfying:

- Lower octaves can imitate slap or funk base
- Flurries of arpeggios can imitate a string sections
- Chordal vamping can imitate wave sample loops

Its quite entertaining, and somewhat educational to play the Teletubby theme tune, modulating halfway through to 'Hit Me Baby One More Time', settling on Lionel Ritchie's 'Hello'.

If your feeling brave, put those scales to use and transpose it all round the circle of fifths!

The point is, popular music is impulsive; in order to play it, you need to reject the restraint of classicism. However to play it well, you need the facility that only develops through classical drills ... hello Czerny, hello Hannon ... hello Louis.

Offline kuska

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:10:49 AM
By popular music, do you mean like Justin Bieber Song of **** or Fur Elise?

What I would suggest doing in modern "hit" songs are listening to their original recordings and copying the dynamics. In my opinion, it is not fun to play modern music, because everyone else is used to the original recording, and they will reject your original interpretation, no matter how musical it might be.

I mean pop songs, rock songs, etc., so the first option was correct :) I've seen piano covers of such songs and it seems they're quite popular on the web. Maybe it's popular among those who also try to play them on piano, no idea. The thing is sure: not everyone likes piano.

I'm writing down in my memory your hint about listening. I don't feel it's given me anything so far but the fact is I think I've never listened to it that way. Have to try it.

Popular music is much easier to read through than Hungarian Rhapsody, but you are right.

I think I can understand what pjj meant. In theory it should be easier. But I struggled with I like Chopin more than with Bach's inventions. I can't understand the reason but this is how it was.

What helped me:

Dancing.

Yeah. Might help. The problem is I hate dancing and I hate singing. I just find it easier to take off my energy by doing any other physical activity but not dancing.

[...]

Popular styles are free; I consider popular performance (when skillfully executed) to be one of the most creative, inviting and inclusive forms of music. [...]

The colours available on a piano are suite satisfying:

- Lower octaves can imitate slap or funk base
- Flurries of arpeggios can imitate a string sections
- Chordal vamping can imitate wave sample loops

[...]

The point is, popular music is impulsive; in order to play it, you need to reject the restraint of classicism. However to play it well, you need the facility that only develops through classical drills ... hello Czerny, hello Hannon ... hello Louis.

Now, I think you made some really important points here. I feel restrained in a way. I mean when I'm trying to improvise or compose. It's like something is blocking you inside. Although it's a bit different with pop dynamics but maybe the reason still stays the same? No idea. But I'll give it a go and work on freeing myself.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert