Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Comparative audio samples - opinions wanted  (Read 984 times)

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Comparative audio samples - opinions wanted
on: August 23, 2016, 12:46:14 AM
Four short clips (all of the same recording), but all with different EQ and noise reduction.

Comments on their respective merits would be appreciated. Thanks.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Comparative audio samples - opinions wanted
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:39:48 AM
1a: Instrument is forward in the mix.  The amount of presence allows warmth in the bass as well as the treble melody to sing above accompaniment.

2a: A very warm and encompassing sound.  However, attacks are less defined and the overall sound seems more diffused.  The melody is not as prominent in the mix, as it seems there is lesser emphasis of high frequencies.  

3a: Warm sound.  Attacks have more presence in the mix, and the melody appears to have an easier time to sing out.  I would describe the sound envelope as having a blooming shape, where the onset swells to a later peak.  The peak of this envelope is the furthest from the attack in the group of recordings you have provided.  

4a: Faithful to the piano, is how I would describe this one.  Peaks are very early in the sound envelope, with a natural sounding decay and sustain.

Beautiful playing as usual!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:26:00 AM
I found it very difficult to make any completely objective comparison of these four, Andrew. I prefer 1a without a doubt but I am hard put to explain exactly why in any sense which would help you. I have played through them five times using my old, but high quality Pioneer equipment, with good Mission speakers, forming an equilateral triangle with my listening chair, as I do with all my recordings. 1a is more intimate, with a slightly wider stereo angle, closer to the driver's seat, as it were, and a sound which strikes me as richer, but this reaction is probably just from listening so much to my own music recorded in my lounge. You get used to anything you hear often, and then you start to prefer it, then finally consider it superior when it probably isn't.

Of course the music is very attractive, and listening to it tends to override listening to the recordings - that doesn't help. I find it exceedingly difficult to listen either analytically or objectively at the best of times I'm afraid. Neil's comments are both acute and objective, and therefore likely of more value to you than mine; I have not examined the files themselves.

Anyway, the short, probably unhelpful answer is that I like 1a.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 03:57:46 PM
Thanks: I appreciate the opinions. I'll wait in case anyone else offers a view before stating what the individual samples are, other than to mention that 1a is completely untreated.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert