Piano Forum

Topic: [Video] Rachmaninoff Melodie Op. 3 No. 3 - from "Morceaux de Fantaisie"  (Read 1499 times)

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff revised the Melodie (Melody) in E major, No.3 from his "Morceaux de fantasia" Op.3 in February of 1940. He then recorded it about two months later on April 9, 1940. It is interesting to hear how chromatic Rachmaninoff's harmonic palette had become over the nearly 50 years since he first composed the composition in 1892. Hope you like it and enjoy :)

Offline philolog

• PS Silver Member
A lovely piece, very nicely played and given "something extra" by that old but lovable piano (your version of Gould's Chickering, perhaps?). Somehow the instrument lends it an intimacy that would be lacking on a Steinway D or its ilk (at least to me). I have a great affection for such pianos, owning an old Mason & Hamlin upright with a similar "antique sound," (along with a rebuilt Steinway A).

Also, although I don't suppose Rachmaninoff used his hands precisely as you do, the length of your fingers  and span in general is suggestive of what might have been his manner at the keyboard.

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Thank you very much! :)) My piano is german build 1929 Thurmer. I like the sound of it a lot. Nothing can beat the old sound of a quality piano. :)) Only thing that really annoys me is the ivory keys that are now yellow and start to degrade in the middle section :D I am looking at the moment for some old second hand grands.. i checked one Bechstein but it was in a terrible condition. And i kind a don`t want to buy Ymaha GB1 or GC1.. :D so i`ll keep looking and hopefully i`ll find something like your Steinway A! :) Best wishes!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert