Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Request For Help On Kickstater Application  (Read 996 times)

Offline louispodesta

Request For Help On Kickstater Application
on: August 31, 2016, 05:14:13 PM
I am attempting to crowdfund (through Kickstarter) a marketing project related to my video.  My goal is to raise money to purchase billboards (nine) to be placed nationwide in the U.S. to promote my Youtube video.

However, with a substantial background in personal computing (36 years), I am unable to decipher the Kickstarter application.  Therefore, for the last three months, I have been trying to find someone with experience in this to help me.

I will specify the parameters wanted in the Kickstarter campaign to anyone who can help me out on this.

The marketing department at Youtube is going to dovetail all of the hits off of my billoards into my video in order to make it go viral.  Each billboard will have 500,000 views in a single 30 day period.

This is history in the making regarding original performance practice, which has the full endorsement of Dr. Clive Brown of the University of Leeds and Dr. Neal Peres Da Costa of the Sydney Conservatorium.

If you want to contact me by PM, that is okay.  Thanks.

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Request For Help On Kickstater Application
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:46:58 PM
Mr. Podesta, I’m not sure about the kickstarter, but I listened to your presentation and I enjoyed watching this.  I only have a few questions:

Without knowing the history, I am just asking the following:  Is it possible that due to the lack of ability for early instruments to sustain tones (especially in higher registers)  bass notes were played first and chords were rolled to allow the melody to be brought out more to compensate for the instrument’s deficiencies?  As the instruments improved, this performance practice continued from teacher to student.  It wasn’t until the modern instrument had been around for a while that people realized it was no longer necessary to play this way to bring out the melody?  I personally like it played without rolled chords and with bass notes played at the same time as the higher notes.

When the transition was made form rolling chords to not rolling chords, do you think this transition was easy to accomplish knowing how people in general are reluctant to make changes?   Would this change have been possible if players and the public did not like the new way of playing better?

What are you hoping to accomplish with your video?  Are you hoping that many or most players will go back to rolling chords and play bass notes first?  Again I enjoyed watching your video.  Regards.

Offline louispodesta

Re: Request For Help On Kickstater Application
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:06:31 PM
1)  The oldest first rate concert pianist in the world is Philippe Entremont.  His is in his early 80's, and he still plays the bass note ahead of the top, just the way his teacher Marguerite Long taught him as a young adult at the Paris Conservatory.  Her teacher was a man named Debussy whom you may have heard of.

2)  The oldest originally intact Steinway in the world is in my home city of San Antonio.  It was built in 1850.  It is no way deficient in terms of a modern action.  Further, a piano (Pleyel) from the same period of those that Chopin played on has recently been recorded by Emmanuel Ax.  There is also nothing wrong with it.

3)  The original composer/pianists arpeggiated their chords because it was and is an expressive device that has been around since before the time of Bach.  This was confirmed to me by the eminent applied musicologist Dr. Robert Levin, Professor Emeritus at Harvard.

4)  Every person who seriously studies any of the Fine Arts IS REQUIRED! to study how the ancient masters effectuated their particular art form.  That is with the exception of music.

The reason, paraphrasing Dr. Kenneth Hamilton, is that it is an essential part of the learning process to know just how things were done in the first place, regardless of how one chooses to effectuate their particular art form.  Dr. Hamilton's book, "After the Golden Age: Romantic Pianism and Modern Performance," OUP is an excellent introduction to how things originally were, and then how they came to be today.

5)  For an extensive and minutely detailed discussion of the why and wherefore of 18th, 19th, and early 20th century keyboard performance style, I highly recommend the aforementioned Dr. Neal Peres Da Costa's book, "Off The Record." OUP.  It has a companion website with 37 recorded examples of this type of playing, which are cross-referenced throughout the text.

6)  Thank you for your interest, and please remember:  original performance practice also included rhythmic alteration, improvisation, and tempo modification.  You may have heard of two boys from Vienna named Mozart and Beethoven, who never played any piece the same way twice!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert