Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: A rant about Middle School education in America  (Read 1050 times)

Offline opus43

A rant about Middle School education in America
on: September 05, 2016, 01:08:07 AM
I live in a place where the level of education could be raised much. The schools are great; they are very up-to-date (not run-down); however, they place boundaries on the level of knowledge one can attain by making the courses one can take at a certain grade level far too limiting. (I guess it's something supported by the No Child Left Behind act).

I've heard that in other areas, such as the DC Area and California, they get to learn things at a much better pace, and not only that; I learned through a friend in the suburbs of southern Maryland that in her school she has much more rigorous "Advanced Classes" than we do in my area; in her school, one must get the equivalent of a 95 or higher on the Final Exams to stay in those classes, whereas in mine, all one has to do is to have a teacher recommendation (quite frankly, almost everyone receives those) and it is recommended to have a grade higher than a "C" on the report cards for the classes. I am sure this affects the difference of pace greatly between the classes of these two school systems.

As a result, I have now decided on taking CTY online courses offered by John Hopkins University (believe me, the entrances to these courses are nowhere near as prestigious as the university itself.) Unfortunately, the courses are horrifyingly expensive, and all discounts/scholarships are need-based.
So, I am like W!T!F!

I'm done. Any of you would like to add-on to, or comment on, or offer a different stance on this? Thanks,
Opus43

PS Physical Education takes up 1/8 of the total schoolyear
Active since 1706!

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: A rant about Middle School education in America
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:31:40 AM
It's a problem -- not just in middle school, but throughout the educational system, even at many (not all!) colleges.

There is one reasonably sure way out which doesn't involve any money at all (at least at first!).  Exercise your curiousity.  We are all curious about things (although schools try to squash it).  Think of something -- anything -- which intrigues you and learn all you can about it.  Doesn't matter what it is.  There are so many resources available for this!  Do what is necessary to keep your teachers happy, of course, but that may not be that hard (just try not to contradict them when they are wrong... which they will be from time to time!).  And follow that curiousity.  Also, allow it to go different places at different times, which it will.  You may find one area which really fascinates you; if so, go for it.  You may take a more scattershot approach...

And have fun!
Ian

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 05:51:19 AM
Agreed with the above.
If you want to pursue more challenging courses, write a letter to your principal, or possibly your superintendent explaining your situation and requesting more advanced coursework. This can put your foot in the door.
You can also oftentimes take courses at local community colleges with counselor approval.
Best of luck!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 04:30:55 AM
It's geared toward the masses, geared toward the middle, and a lot is set so everyone can pass and move along (geared toward the lowest level everyone can pass). 

The middle school philosophy is exploration.  It's different than a junior high (little high school) philosophy.  (Although I'm wondering if my 'middle' you meant high school here now.)

It might help if they taught more in PE about how to exercise, nutrition, and how the body works, but a of kids are overweight (with disease in their future because of that), and there is something to wearing kids out so they're easier to work with. 

Add in budget concerns.  And then add in not too many people caring if the top group of students is screwed over a bit. 

Someone always has something better about their school.  If you want something better, you have to move or do it on your own (private teacher, outside school, etc.).  Ditto on it being expensive.  If this is a post about high school, the more you can get the high school to pay, the better, ex. Do an independent study in high school that counts as a class but where you attend an actual college class (and get college credit).  The point being you don't have to pay the cost of college.  Your high school pays it for you and you pay the regular high school class fee (which is nothing compared to college).
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 02:33:14 PM
In the US middle schools are junior high schools, they're used interchangeably. They're 6-8th grades and high school is 9-12.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:47:34 PM
Generically, but philosophically there's a difference.  Middle school is exploration.  Junior high is a little high school.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline opus43

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 12:16:45 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look in to those.

Also, I must for sounding so cynical in my rant :)
Active since 1706!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert