Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: The teacher/student relationship  (Read 1684 times)

Offline leemond2008

The teacher/student relationship
on: September 07, 2016, 06:16:39 PM
I am absolutely gutted, I had an email from my teacher today to say that she can't continue our lessons.

She has been struggling to make the lessons for some time but we have persevered, we juggled lessons and changed days and times etc but she advised me that she can't make continue to teach me.

She has referred me to another teacher should I want to continue learning.

It's crazy, its really upset me, I feel like I've lost a friend rather than a teacher, I loved our lessons and I made real progress, it's been coming for a while but I'm not sure where to go from here.

To be honest I think I'm going to stop with the lessons for a while, I'm currently trying to save as much money as possible so an extra £60 a month is quite a large chunk for me to put away.
I have emailed back and told her that I will leave the lessons for a while and look for a new teacher once I have squirrelled away enough money, I've asked her to keep me in mind and call me should any availability come up.

It's just strange the way that the relationship works out, she was my first teacher and has helped me progress and most importantly helped provide incentive to keep improving and working at the piano, I suppose that without realising I invested a lot emotionally into the lessons.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I'm in love with my teacher or anything like that, I'm not really a people person so the fact that she made me feel comfortable from my first lesson was a big thing for me, I'm really not looking forward to trying to find and get to know a new teacher and start from scratch.

I'm not really after any advice or anything I just felt the need to vent a little bit and let out how upset I am about it.

Anyway, thanks for reading

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Re: The teacher/student relationship
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:18:26 PM
For 45 minutes each week, I see someone to 1) accept her assessment of my prior week's work 2) accept her corrections and advice 3) look to her for support for my goals.

That, to me, is a pretty strong relationship...and you just don't jettison that the way you might another professional you see on an occasional basis.

I must add, however, every teacher with whom I've worked has added something to my progress as a pianist.  You are now, probably, at a different point in your progress as a pianist than you were when you started with her.  You may need a different type of support.  Give yourself time to think about what you need and factor that into researching your next teacher.

Offline immortalbeloved

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 11:36:36 PM
I once created a thread here where I confessed to falling in love with my two teachers. It happens. Don't be shy if this is the case for you.

Think about this: for 1 hour another human being is investing all their time and energy into YOU. Emotionally, it is hard to experience that with others. Even with friends, it is mutual hanging out time, but a private teacher is there simply for your sake.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 04:11:58 PM
I am absolutely gutted, I had an email from my teacher today to say that she can't continue our lessons.

She has been struggling to make the lessons for some time but we have persevered, we juggled lessons and changed days and times etc but she advised me that she can't make continue to teach me.

She has referred me to another teacher should I want to continue learning.

It's crazy, its really upset me, I feel like I've lost a friend rather than a teacher, I loved our lessons and I made real progress, it's been coming for a while but I'm not sure where to go from here.

To be honest I think I'm going to stop with the lessons for a while, I'm currently trying to save as much money as possible so an extra £60 a month is quite a large chunk for me to put away.
I have emailed back and told her that I will leave the lessons for a while and look for a new teacher once I have squirrelled away enough money, I've asked her to keep me in mind and call me should any availability come up.

It's just strange the way that the relationship works out, she was my first teacher and has helped me progress and most importantly helped provide incentive to keep improving and working at the piano, I suppose that without realising I invested a lot emotionally into the lessons.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I'm in love with my teacher or anything like that, I'm not really a people person so the fact that she made me feel comfortable from my first lesson was a big thing for me, I'm really not looking forward to trying to find and get to know a new teacher and start from scratch.

I'm not really after any advice or anything I just felt the need to vent a little bit and let out how upset I am about it.

Anyway, thanks for reading

Teaching piano and juggling lessons is a tough way to go. Your teacher is burned out it sounds like to me.  I have been there more than once.   You will find another teacher.  Don't take it personally...it probably has nothing to do with you. It's a tough job believe it or not and she may be having personal issues that you are unaware of.  I know it's upsetting but don't let it stop you from learning the piano. 

Offline immortalbeloved

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 04:16:12 PM
DC YOUR BACK!!!!!!! we were all so worried, we even made a few posts about you

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 05:23:41 PM
Yes I have returned. It's nice to know that I was missed.  Thanks  ;D

Offline immortalbeloved

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 06:37:00 PM
No, DC, you have no idea. Threads were made about you; private emails were exchanged. People, well, thought, you know. . . .

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 07:13:53 PM
That I died?   :'(   lol.  No I am just fine.  The last few months have been trying but physically I am fit as a fiddle. I just stepped away from the forum so I wouldn't be tempted to unload misdirected anger on the threads.  Life just throws you a curve ball every now and then...  I was pretty much offline.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert