Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin nocturnes  (Read 1460 times)

Offline ingham444

Chopin nocturnes
on: September 09, 2016, 09:52:23 PM
Hi, might sound a tad strange but I'm looking to bolster the chopin end of my repertoire and thought about learning 5-10 nocturnes.  I've only previously played op 9 no1/2 out of the collection.
My question is what is the quickest way to learn others and suggestions on which to start with?

Offline stevensk

Re: Chopin nocturnes
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:02:27 PM
 "quickest"   ..why?

Offline ingham444

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:13:44 PM
Because they're beautiful pieces and all quite repetitive and long, so if I can quickly learn 5 or so i could reach 20 minutes easily of playing time.  It's handy to have that long amount of popular pieces and I've been asked to learn chopin pieces for a wedding reception in December.

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:38:35 PM
Chopin C sharp minor post about 4 min

72, no 1 about 4.5

chopin 15  1

Chopin 32 1

Here is the full set for you to listen to

Also check out the Chopin waltzes

Offline lakeviewsteve

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 03:58:22 AM
If you are interested in studying any Chopin, you may want learn some of Chopin's Etudes (Studies).  They have really helped me learn Chopin's other works.  Since Chopin was considered a master in counterpoint (two or more simultaneous melodies), the studies are really useful in understanding this very difficult aspect of his work.

Offline jinfiesto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 04:21:54 AM
I don't think there's any secret to learning them quickly, except that as you say, they can be somewhat repetitive. Just don't practice the repeated parts? I would also say that the more of them you learn, the faster it is to learn new ones. I played Op 15. in a recital about a month ago and I think it was about a week or two each to get them under my fingers? Probably a couple months before I thought they sounded good? Maybe another year before I'm really truly happy with them?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert