Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Amazing documentary  (Read 2137 times)

Offline tinyhands

Amazing documentary
on: September 11, 2016, 05:18:14 PM
I've always been very interested in the way people 'see' music or how they learn, especially people with disadvantages through their background or with physical or mental disabilites. To see these people express themselves through music and connect is wonderful, the language of music that can convey more than spoken word ever could. BUt then  there are the truly 'gifted' genius-like people who just can't be explained..If you have a spare half hour watch this documentary I came across on you tube - 'Musical genius' about Savant Derek Paravinci it's just so inspiring not only with the talent the guy has, but that certain people in society that get written off as 'can't do' because of disabilities yet they can still communicate and feel and express themselves.  I found this both emotional and inspiring and very fascinating.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Re: Amazing documentary
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 05:27:26 PM
I have seen this and I remember seeing him on TV when he was just a little boy.  Very beautiful story and I am inspired by his teacher as well. 

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:55:12 PM
Talk about losing the genetic lottery...wow. Well, if he can do so much against the odds stacked against him then the average joe has no right to complain about their supposed lack of talent! An inspiration :]

Offline louispodesta

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 10:57:26 PM
I've always been very interested in the way people 'see' music or how they learn, especially people with disadvantages through their background or with physical or mental disabilites. To see these people express themselves through music and connect is wonderful, the language of music that can convey more than spoken word ever could. BUt then  there are the truly 'gifted' genius-like people who just can't be explained..If you have a spare half hour watch this documentary I came across on you tube - 'Musical genius' about Savant Derek Paravinci it's just so inspiring not only with the talent the guy has, but that certain people in society that get written off as 'can't do' because of disabilities yet they can still communicate and feel and express themselves.  I found this both emotional and inspiring and very fascinating.

As someone with ADDHS, Atherosclerosis, Debilating Psoriatic Arthritis, Low-Level Parkinson's Disease, and most of all ASD (Aspergers), I find your post to be disgusting!

A very great majority of the printed/broadcast piano news story in my adult life-time have involved some child prodigy gone bad (the Movie "Shine"), savant, or the guy who played the guitar for the Pope with his feet!

What about the millions of students who do not get hawked like modern PC Circus freaks.  These are those who practice their arses off every day and never get any "media/public" recognition for their playing ability efforts.

Therefore, as a pianist/social activist philosopher, I am giving fair warning that this "Disabled" pianist will respond in kind to any attempt to promote that which is not the normal piano pedagogical norm.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 11:12:44 PM
I am giving fair warning that this "Disabled" pianist will respond in kind to any attempt to promote that which is not the normal piano pedagogical norm.
I am not able to understand your sentence, even after parsing it.  "respond in kind" = to respond on the same way - I can't find the other half, i.e. same way as what.  Can you give an example of how he might respond, and what it is that he would respond to?

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 11:28:15 PM
Louis, I too am befuddled by your reaction to this.  Anyone who receives recognition in the music world should be celebrated.  The joy on this man's face when he plays and his teacher's devotion to him is beautiful. Why are you angry and please define "normal"

What do your disabilities  have to do with this man's success? Why does this upset you? Forgive me for stating the obvious but you sound...jealous.

This is not "some child prodigy"  this is an overcoming of overwhelming odds.  Let the man earn a living.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 12:05:29 AM
I think that I do get some of Louis' sentiment - I had a problem with the sentence that I highlighted.  One element is the "circus freak" idea - a person celebrated because of a disability, paraded and with the risk of exploitation - and what of when the media and public get tired of it and look for the next "odd sensation" and the next?  Is it potentially harmful to the person who was thrust into the limelight?  Things like that - Louis, does it go in that direction?

The other element in his post involves the person who works very hard for years and decades but remains in obscurity.  There is an unfairness to it.  As I understand the music industry, it can be unfair, period - who gets known and how stays unknown may not have to do with ability but other factors including chance, connections, or some other thing.  The media and the public at large tend to be fickle.

I followed Derek's story some years ago and wonder how he is doing now.  That documentary is a few years old by now.  One element in his story involves caring parents who did everything in their means to help him forward.  The discovery of his affinity to the piano was accidental, but  what they did with it once they found out - the teacher they hired (and being able to hire a teacher, and coming upon the right one) - these are not accidental.  Going back to the two elements of Louis' post, as I understand them, there are children who are very passionate about the piano and music, but they don't get to have an instrument, or a teacher, or a good teacher, or have doors unlocked for them in order to get known.  These are other elements.  He appears content in this kind of life, and if it is good for him, then I am also glad for him, like I would be for anyone's good fortune.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 12:57:10 AM
Back in the day when people like Derek would be thrown into an institution, forgotten and kept there until they died, it is touching to see him actually achieve in life and in a fantastic way. Of course it is Derek's condition which brings him to such a large audience, if he were totally normal functioning there wouldn't be too much mystery to it all. We like to see triumph over adversity and Derek probably looks like a good example of one, but of course we only see him play music and enjoying himself, I am sure his personal life is full of enormous challenges we would cringe at.

What about this girl at 14 improvising, great video to watch too
https://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_lin_improvs_piano_magic
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 01:07:21 AM
There's another interesting one which features a 6 fingered pianist. Sure she wasn't playing the hungarian rhpasodies, but it was inspiring to watch. It's like Wonder said, we love [or at least the public does] stories about triumph over great odds. Not only does it make me happy to see what the human spirit is capable of accomplishing, it also helps and inspires me to do more. Sometimes, or most of the times, I get really depressed thinking how I might never be able able to play the ballades or the polonaise brillante because I'm a late starter. I guess it pushes and motivates me to do more and also helps me be a little bit more optimistic about my hopes. That's my point of view.

I can totally understand Louis' point of view as well, the "freak-show" criticism [though it's not articulated as well it could be] is also valid, I sometimes feel that way too; however i think it's best for us all if we let the cynicism take a break on occasion.  ;D

Offline tinyhands

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 01:12:00 PM
The poster found my post "disgusting" knows nothing about my personal experiences, and I feel the reaction  was uncalled for.
 I'm sorry if my post has offended anyone and it was certainly never intended to be "look at the circus freak" or that Derek was anyone to be singled out or pitied.   In my own life with experience of people very close to me with disabilities and Aspergers.  I am so often saddened by the "can't do" attitude that people have with them or that they are written off as not equally brilliant or bright in their own way. I don't give a damn whether the guy played for himself in his bedroom or went on to make millions, that wasn't what I got from the documentary. What I saw was the joy that the music brought him and to me that was a touching experience.  Alongside I found it fascinating that he couldn't count to 10 or be independent (as stated in the programme) yet he could learn music instantly, had amazing memory skills, and could convey emotion, so from a learning perspective I found that very interesting, when so often people with disabilites are written off.  The world famous percussionist Evelyn Glennie was told not to even apply for music college as she was profoundly deaf, yet she fought for her place and was accepted to the Royal Academy of Music, she is a phenomenal musician who uses vibrations to feel the music. Again I find this inspiring...and certainly don't see her as a "circus freak" She does many talks in the UK about tearing down prejudice and seeing one's potential no matter what their personal circumstances. If people like her or Derek can make child with a disability or a parent of a child with additional needs think " I can do this" then that is a good thing. So what of the many neurological and music development professors who study people like Derek, are they too explotitive? No, they are genuinely interested in how wonderful the human brain is, and how we have only scratched the surface of what is accepted belief. For the record I believe the same applies to people from different socio-economic backgrounds ( again from personal experience) who get written off as "can't do" Anything that questions society's presumptions  as what is "normal"  is a good thing.

Offline dogperson

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 02:04:45 PM
For those of you concerned about Derek being a 'circus freak', you should take a minute to look at his home page:  rather than a 'freak' he is a talented musician, with his own quartet, own CD and concerts.  Watch the YouTube video of the quartet at Christmas 2015 and you will see a young man with obvious joy on his face.

Freak?  Hardly.  He certainly had enormous obstacles but he now has a fulfilling life--  without music, not so sure we would see the same result.  He truly should be an inspiration to those with and without disabilities rather than this type of negative discussion.  

Are there many without disabilities who don't make it?  Absolutely.  But why is this relevant is beyond me.  Derek is happy in doing something he loves and has a life worth living.  No one could ask for more. We all should take a minute to think about how we can find this personal fulfillment, rather than being so negative about Derek.

https://www.derekparavicini.net/index.html

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
Maybe I am a bit biased but I love this guy and he has a gift. I worked hard to get my ears to do what his do and it came about because I also studied and understood theory. He doesn't consciously "get it" but he still can translate what he hears and he can change it. I can take a melody and make a rag out of it but geez that took some serious work to get to that stage where I could do it in front of an audience.  He is amazing to me...I love this guy. I have also had many special needs students and they are the ones who have always astounded me the most with their flashes of absolute brilliance.  His teacher deserves to make a living and so does derek. Everyone has haters I guess.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert