Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - Sonata no. 30 op. 109, 1st movement (WIP)  (Read 1781 times)

Offline piulento

Beethoven - Sonata no. 30 op. 109, 1st movement (WIP)
on: September 16, 2016, 02:30:52 PM
Hi!   :)
Started this movement a bit over a week ago. While it's pretty alright technically, it's so damn hard musically. This is one of my favorite sonatas, and one of Beethoven's most mature works, so I need to put a lot of thought to my playing all the time.
Anyway, I'd be happy to hear what you think about it so far. I just started it so it's not so great yet, but this is the overall interpertation I had in mind and I wanted to know from the start what needs improvement. My phone is not so great in recording so a lot of the dynamic contrast isn't properly heard, but that's the best I can do :|
Anyway, thanks in advance!
Gilad

Offline thirtytwo2020

Re: Beethoven - Sonata no. 30 op. 109, 1st movement (WIP)
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:15:35 PM
That's very impressive after just one week's work! :o
My very spontaneous thought is that I would like to hear the vivace sections played more lyrically - I think of this as four part writing rather than a series of arpeggios. I think one of the things you could do is listen to the different voices and try to work out a more "cantabile" way of playing it.

Offline piulento

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:01:55 AM
Thanks for your comment, and I couldn't agree more. Right now I'm working on a lot of phrasing and proper legato work in order to really make all of the different voices sing.
I have to say that this is one of the most fun sonatas I worked on. It's very challenging, but the musical work is very rewarding. Your advice about putting the emphasis on cantabile will be very important (and difficult!) during the third movement :)

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:04:32 AM
quite nice for one week of work.  it's my lifetime dream to play that first movement at about .70 of the tempo you've taken on.  what kind of piano are you recording with ?  sounds like an upright.  enjoy your journey -- L.v.B was cosmic beyond words in his farewell phase.

Offline piulento

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:53:50 PM
Thanks!
Actually, since the recording I decided to play it slower. I wouldn't say .70, more like .85 - but I agree that a slower tempo will help in getting more 'juice' out of the beautiful melodies in this movement.
It's an upright Kawai from one of the pracitce rooms in the conservatoire in my town. Doesn't have the best sound (especially because it's not that new) but didn't feel like looking for another room haha
I'll definitely enjoy it!  :P His last sonatas are some of my favorite pieces.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:12:21 PM
Still sad that you didn't update your Schubert sonata post, I do hope you post a final version for this one as well. Not familiar with this sonata, or Beethoven's piano sonatas in general but I enjoyed; can still tell it's a bit rough though, SO UPDATE!!!  ;D ;D

Offline piulento

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 07:12:09 PM
Whoah, can't believe you remembered!
I really need to stop forgeting to record pieces once I finish them. This one I'll definitely remember. I did have a lot of fun with the Schubert though, even though it took a while to really understand what I want the piece to sound like.
You should definitely give a listen to this sonata. It's so progressive for its time. It makes your Schoenberg sound oldschool in comparison to its days. (pretty interested to hear how it turns out BTW. are you planning to record it?)

Offline vaniii

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:51:13 PM
Nice! However, don't push your tempo any further or you will loose clarity; particularly in the more note-y sections.

I agree with @thirtytwo2020; the arpeggio shapes need to be lighter with more tune in the ... tune.

But over all very good start for one week.  I look forward to more.

Offline piulento

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:16:44 PM
Thank you very much!
Hopefully the final version will be more melodic and sensitive. I really want to do justice with this sonata :)

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:59 PM
pardon, didn't intend to suggest you should modify the tempo (unless you had your own reasons of course), my comment came from my own technical limitations.  anyone with the technique and fluency to make it sing at the tempi that gets attributed to the composer's intentions, please carry on. if you're a Schubert aficionado, by all means share as your time permits.

Offline piulento

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 07:36:23 AM
Haha, I was actually gonna play it slower anyway.
It's actually not such a bad movement technically in terms of speed, so if that's what's holding you back I'd suggest you to give it a try.
I was actually finished with the Schubert sonata quite a while back, so I don't think it's the best idea to record it today... Here's the original thread of the WIP:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=61096.0
But I can't wait to play some more Schubert. Thinking about playing the complete set of op. 90 (I already studied 2 of them in the past).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert