Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Advice on Recital Piece  (Read 2162 times)

Offline mariesan

Advice on Recital Piece
on: September 18, 2016, 11:02:28 AM
Hello! I need advice for a recital piece this coming December. I don't know my piano grade but I've played piano for almost 4 years now, and I have already played these pieces for previous recitals:

Beethoven's Fur Elise
Mozart Sonata K545 (First Movement)
Chopin' Nocturne Op.9 no.2

I'm thinking of Beethoven's Tempest Sonata(3rd movement), do you think I'd be able to pull it off? How about Chopin's Waltz Op. Posth. No. 19 in A Minor?

My friend also suggested that I try fast pieces (like Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu or Revolutionary Etude) but I'm not quite confident if I should since the fastest tempo I can get on my scales is 90 on sixteenth notes. Do you think it'd be a good idea to challenge otherwise? If so, what are some good pieces?

Lastly, I'd like to ask any piece suggestions from everyone, Thanks!  :)

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice on Recital Piece
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:49:08 AM
A couple of suggestions that seem at your level but not be as often played....

You could try one or two movements of Janacek's "On an Overgrown Path." Some of them are a bit difficult, but many are certainly in your range, say the first and/or last movements, or the Virgin of Frydich or the one about the wind-blown leaf. The score is available at IMSLP.

Another off the beaten track option is the easiest movement from Darius Milhaud's Saudades do Brasil, Corcovado. The score is on IMSLP. It's bitonal, but sweet and enjoyable. Here is Milhaud himself playing it.

Everybody plays Traumerei or Of Strange Lands and People's from Schumann's Scenes from Childhood, but this one, "The Child Falling Asleep," is lovely and not that often played in student recitals.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice on Recital Piece
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:39:03 PM

Score is in print but published only Japan so it must be purchased internatioally online usually , sometimes a used copy might surface on ebay but rare, i had to buy it new as an import, but its a fun set of pieces in a neoclassical sort of style w a lyrical slant

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert