Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Here's a silly question about Beethoven's Op. 126 no. 2  (Read 1541 times)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
So, I've always played the little sixteenth-note figure in the A section with one hand -- it's of course notated split between the hands, and I've heard some convincing arguments from musicologists about the whole "call and response" nature of this little motif.  

For that matter, most people on Youtube seem to be doing it hands split, also.

I did some work on the tune when I was like twelve, or fourteen, and quickly abandoned it in favor of the no. 4 and no. 6 of the same set, which were more exciting to me, but I remember my teacher did just kind of gloss over and say "hands separate," as a quick answer to my question, and then we went back to work.

So, like a lot of years later, I'm still keeping all of Op. 126 in my book -- meaning, I'm trying to have in memory all six of them, just for fun to have as part of my mental furniture.  And, yes, I'm pretty sick of them after how many years, even though they're nice, light-hearted music.

For people who actually split the hands on the sixteenth note motif, is that really easier?  I'm only asking because if I don't deliberately take a deep breath and relax my wrist, I'm bound to screw up the little "lick," and that pretty much spoils the piece.

If you nail the "lick," it's fine -- it's really not that difficult one-handed, certainly easier than most fast jazz improvisation, but the possibility of making its execution "idiot-proof" by using the notated split-hands is kind of attractive to me, if only as an exercise in technique.

So, what's the inside deal?
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Here's a silly question about Beethoven's Op. 126 no. 2
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:24:09 PM
For completeness, I should add that after about thirty seconds I figured this one out:

my solution (not that it is the only one) is to follow my original instincts and disregard the Urtext dividing the little flourish in the A section into both hands, but instead, just use the LH to hit the lower "G."

think of something like CPE Bach's "Solfeggietto" in c minor. 

For me, that's a way I found to "idiot-proof" the second Op. 126 bagatelle. 

I will admit the broken arpeggios and short harmonic durations later in the piece aren't easy, but it's nothing one hasn't seen before in Bach or in other Beethoven middle-period sonatas. 

Looser the wrist, the better the pushing.

Or something.

Asked, and answered.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert