Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Any experts in muscle tension?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Any experts in muscle tension?
on: October 21, 2016, 10:43:37 PM
I've heard it called tonus, the amount of tension in muscle when you're not using them.

Somewhat out of the blue, my lower legs muscles have majorly tensed up.  I'm wondering how to loosen them up a bit but it's really just controlling the amount of tension in them.

How do I relax the muscles?
...was followed by...
How would I tense the muscle up?  I can do the opposite.

But overall, I do have a goal of getting muscles to feel good.  There's a nice, springly place that is the goal. 

The obvious one was reducing tension -- Don't use the muscle.  It will loosen up a bit and weaken.  Stretching, massaging, etc. also helps.  And then some use -- a controlled push and then relax.

Wait a pain (literally).  I've got big puffy lower legs now.  Lifting my foot upwards wears out quickly.

Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any experts in muscle tension?
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:20:49 AM
Get yourself a copy of You Must Relax by Edmund Jacobson.  He invented progressive relaxation way back in the 30's.  Cheap as chips at Abebooks.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any experts in muscle tension?
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:34:17 PM
Interesting.  Looks a bit old but the wikipedia article does mention tonus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Jacobson

Hm... Looks like relaxation and mediation...
https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-jacobson-relaxation-technique#3

How to not make a youtube video about relaxation... if you have a grating voice.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) seems to be the keywords.

Here's another one.

This could be part of an answer.  An easy answer is just not to use the muscle.  Don't exercise.  If a muscle isn't pushed for capacity or endurance it shouldn't shorten up.  Stretching should help too.  And light/good form use to carefully tense up the muscle and then relax it (PMR thing mentioned here again I think).  Massage -- roll or deep tissue.  And focusing on tension as goal too I suppose instead of more exercise related things.  Another freaking project though....

And time (which means rest pretty much).  Good sleep, nutrition, etc.

The new element was finding a muscle that can't really be stretched though.  There's a muscle along the inner leg side of the lower leg bone, the one that lifts the foot up.  The foot only extends out so far, not far enough to stretch those inner muscles.  Inside of the leg and an inner layer of muscle.  No good way to just stretch/lengthen the stupid thing.  But that's exactly where my leg tensed up.

Balance was the other thing I was thinking of.  If muscles are in pairs, the weak one might be the one I'm noticing.  The other paired one might be too strong.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert