Piano Forum

Topic: VIDEO: Chopin, Ballade No. 1  (Read 1545 times)

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Chopin, Ballade No. 1
on: October 23, 2016, 07:41:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago I uploaded this video of one of my recital performances of the G Minor Ballade, which I know is popular among posters on this forum.  The performance isn't note-perfect, but I think it captures the spirit and passion of Chopin's piece pretty well.  Your comments are welcome!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Chopin, Ballade No. 1
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:05:59 PM
It's a shame you don't have any more up-to-date versions of your pieces, would love to see and hear how your playing and performances would have developed.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:04:08 PM
It's a shame you don't have any more up-to-date versions of your pieces, would love to see and hear how your playing and performances would have developed.
That's a good observation.

These days my focus is on generating recordings of my own compositions, about half of which are for piano solo and the other half chamber works that usually include me at the piano.  Since I'm in my late sixties now, I figure it's important to get that done now.  So you're right that it's impossible to compare (for example) how I performed something like this ballade back then vs. how I might perform it today.  OTOH, if one wants to get a general idea what my playing is like these days, I have videos of that on my RobertCunninghamsMusic channel.  (For example, most of my Nine Preludes for Piano Solo were recorded during the last year.)

My own general assessment is as follows:  I don't think my technique today is up to the level it was when I recorded this Ballade.  On the other hand, when I listen to my older recordings, I don't think I handled some more delicate passages as sensitively as I would today.

Eventually, after I have recorded as many of my works as possible, I expect to start working again on the music of general-repertory composers like Chopin or Bach.

Offline debussychopin

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 02:55:21 PM
Well done for a large scale work
L'Isle Joyeuse

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 06:34:25 PM
Thank you, debussychopin!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert