Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Frustrated with Chopin's 2nd Scherzo Op. 31  (Read 1758 times)

Offline chomaninoff1

Frustrated with Chopin's 2nd Scherzo Op. 31
on: October 29, 2016, 08:04:02 PM
So I have been playing Chopin's Op. 31 Scherzo for the last 3 maybe 4 months. Going into this piece, I knew that it was a bit over my level, but I decided I wanted to play it anyway because I love Chopin's scherzos and this was one of the easiest. I guess I thought that with lots of diligent practice I could play it decently, but I am still having problems with the con amina section. (I haven't even learned the finale yet so I'm sure that will bring me even more grief.)

I'm having trouble with the left hand, specifically. I can't seem to produce the light, flowy sound it is supposed to have. I've recorded this section on my phone and after listening to myself I seriously want to just give this piece up because it sounds so terrible. My pedaling is also crap too... Also another thing is that I'm not even playing it up to speed! The fastest I can play this section is at quarter note=184.
Does anyone have any tips for me? Or should I just give up this piece for now and try it later when I have more experience?

Offline beethovenfan01

Re: Frustrated with Chopin's 2nd Scherzo Op. 31
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 10:56:20 PM
Yes, this is a very difficult piece ...

Since I'm not an expert pianist yet, I don't have a lot of advice, except ...

DON'T STRESS ABOUT PLAYING IT TO SPEED!

If it isn't perfect at 184, don't try to go faster. Be a tortoise--slow and sure will win the race.  ;)
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert