Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: The Road to Classical: Midnight Ride from Faber Piano Adventures  (Read 1371 times)

Offline turbocoder3000

• PS Silver Member
Piece: Midnight Ride - No Author - from Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 1

Hey, this piece said fast AND urgent :) And, I'm trying not to post the exact same thing in three different posts, but you guys don't want me to post one post with three pieces from the same lesson book. Anyway...

I am pretty sure my metronome needs a bit of dusting off. I am looking for practical advice for improvement and not purely ego-stroking.

I had a pretty productive practice session lasting two hours today. I'm recording on a Casio CDP-130 88-key digital piano. And I'm using an iPhone. I'm quite sure the more seasoned members of this forum are going to roll their eyes a little at my primitive recording equipment but I am learning. I'll be improving - I promise! As soon as I recover from my torn quad tendon surgery and I can sit at my desktop computer I'll be able to use my real recording equipment (I usually plug my CDP-130 into a Focusrite mixer and sync the audio with a video of myself playing).

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Road to Classical: Midnight Ride from Faber Piano Adventures
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 10:44:14 AM
Well by the time I had chance to plug in my headphones the piece was already over :D

I think you mentioned in your other post that you don't have a piano teacher - yet?

One suggestion with posting your performances would be to post videos rather than just the audio.

Certainly hearing how you play could highlight areas, but certainly with new / amateurs, or those with no formal training, you can develop a very unorthodox (and sometimes bad) technique, and so visual will help anybody spot that, or things you are doing particularly well!
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline turbocoder3000

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Road to Classical: Midnight Ride from Faber Piano Adventures
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:27:39 AM
Well by the time I had chance to plug in my headphones the piece was already over :D

I think you mentioned in your other post that you don't have a piano teacher - yet?

One suggestion with posting your performances would be to post videos rather than just the audio.

Certainly hearing how you play could highlight areas, but certainly with new / amateurs, or those with no formal training, you can develop a very unorthodox (and sometimes bad) technique, and so visual will help anybody spot that, or things you are doing particularly well!

Great idea!! Correct - no piano teacher yet. Once I recover from surgery I will be able to take on the task of doing that.

Here is the video version - recorded today. Camera: iPhone 7 Plus. Other details mentioned above remain the same.

I realize I am sitting a bit lower than I should. Until my leg heals and I can bend my knee and thus can return to a normal life, there is no fixing that. My technique will likely not be changing as much unless I'm doing something horribly wrong here aside from the seat height.

This version of Midnight Ride is a tad slower than the last.

Also: I am updating the other pieces with video versions.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert