Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff, Moment Musical, Op. 16, No. 5  (Read 2758 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff, Moment Musical, Op. 16, No. 5
on: November 21, 2016, 12:56:27 AM
Hi,

I could account for No. 3 in my Rachmaninoff Op. 16, but No. 5 was missing. I finally resorted to the search function and it appeared! I made this recording in the early 1980s. In those days we made analog recordings.  Soon after that I went digital. It takes a bit getting used to it.  All my recordings have since been digital.

The form of this piece is that of a barcarolle, the custom being 3/4 or 6/8 time signatures. This is the only barcarolle I've every encountered in 4/4 time. Only Rachmaninoff could achieve that feat!

The collection is titled Six Moments Musicaux.  Prior to No. 5, I had submitted No. 3 here which now appears in the Index to Audition Room.

These pieces were composed by Rachmaninoff in the autumn of 1896 in Moscow, Jurgenson being the publisher (Tchaikovsky's publisher). Disagreements followed and Jurgenson was replaced by Gutheil.

I hope you'll like this piece.

David

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff, Moment Musical, Op. 16, No. 5
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:54:59 PM
hi David,

A NICE piece and quite soothing to a troubled soul.
Thank you for this.

emill
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline stevensk

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:04:31 PM

-Nice!  ;)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:14 PM
Thanks emill!  I'm glad you liked this very mellow piece. Eventually I had to go digital. The latter does offer better clarity of sound.

David   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:37 PM
Hi stevensk,

Thanks for listening!  I appreciate it.

David

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 05:01:24 AM
(Aaaaaah....I hit reply while the link was playing and lost the sound! Technology...)

What I want to say is I adore this piece, and I have always adored this piece, playing it myself every so often. It was first imprinted on my mind by old recordings of Sofronitsky and so an analog recording is a warm welcoming experience. There is something living about it compared to the otherwise amazing digital technology. I'm about to listen to you play it again, the love of the composer, the form, the every note and phrase being abundantly evident in your playing.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 12:55:42 AM
Hi D,

Thanks for your kind words on my playing of this lovely moment musical, and knowing how much you've always enjoyed it.  I think I first played the piece in 1989.  At that time I was working with my second master teacher who was also a Rachmaninoff fan. Not a detail escaped him.  This was one of the earlier pieces we studied.  Rachmaninoff has always been at the top of the list for me.

Thanks again!

David 

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 08:39:31 PM
This sounded and feelt like I've stumbled upon a small souvenir from my childhood that I have forgoten even existed...

Simply wonderfull!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:40:48 AM
another recording i am grateful i can keep downloaded for later play ad replay with hq headphones. This is wonderful "earfloss"  David. You emote so well in this soviet lyrical space. Hoepfully you are able to gis us additional re releases older recordings we may have missed out on in the past...

:)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 09:50:55 PM
You played this beautifully in this recording from the past.  I had not heard this piece before.
I had not been in the audition room for awhile, and saw you posted this. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 08:29:08 PM
Hi visitor and goldentone,

Thanks for your kind comments.  I appreciate that.  It's good to see Rachmaninoff's music gaining popularity year by year. 

David
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert