Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Interpretation of Haydn Appoggiatura  (Read 1711 times)

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
Interpretation of Haydn Appoggiatura
on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:40 AM
Hi.

I have a question regarding the music in the Adagio of Haydn's sonata Hob. XVI/23.

In the attached image I highlighted the part in question. This a screenshot of the Peters edition. In my ABRSM signature series sheet music (as well as the ABRSM wiener urtext) the notes in question are written as appoggiatura.
My signature edition shows an acciaccatura as an editorial suggestion.
All the recordings I listened to plays it as acciaccatura and not as a 5 against 4 appoggiatura where the
RH "F" is played with the LH "B", but then the sequence RH "E", LH "D", RH "D", LH "E", RH "C" and Lastly RH "B", LH "B" together.
What makes sense in the Haydn given the urtext? The acciaccatura sounds in style and correct to me, but with the right rhythm the appoggiatura also works but is more difficult to play. Given that this work is 1773 and 20 years earlier than the late sonatas, I am not sure what to do here.

Offline asiantraveller101

• PS Silver Member
Re: Interpretation of Haydn Appoggiatura
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:26:09 PM
In Baroque and early Classical, often time the appoggiatura and acciacatura are used interchangeably, depending on the context. Usually the clue is found elsewhere in the music. In your case, if you look at the preceding motive in the RH, you are playing "D-flat, C, B-flat" in triplets followed by "A-flat." Therefore, it is better to keep the rhythm of that motive in the case in question, i.e. I would play it as an acciaccatura in your case.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert