Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Someone asks you to play something. What do you play?  (Read 6135 times)

Offline richardb

• PS Silver Member
Someone asks you to play something. What do you play?
on: November 22, 2016, 03:50:44 PM
By "someone" I mean for example a friend or acquaintance (not a competition judge or playing for a conservatory audition.)  Perhaps this someone is someone you just met and he or she asks you to play something.  Do you have one or two pieces perfected and ready to go in a situation like this? 

I would probably just play whatever I've been practicing lately. But if I'm practicing it, then it's not yet perfected! 

Any suggestions of an intermediate/early advanced piece to master to play when asked?  No 8+++ virtuoso stuff.  The piece should probably not be too long, and should be something that a random "someone" would enjoy. 

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Someone asks you to play something. What do you play?
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:23:31 PM

this has always had a pretty broad appeal and is much easier to pull off than the concert transcription.
i like it at the faster tempo, she has a better knack for these pieces

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:51:00 PM

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:08:20 PM
As far as what my hands would allow me(and that includes starting cold and no warm ups).

I'd go for the valse 64 no. 2 @ tempo, I'll go a bit slow on the piu mosso part(see elisabeth leonskaja 64 no. 2).

Well yeah. It goes accordingly well. Though listeners would be dumbfounded saying, "what the sh*t is that?"..

99% of the time, people are looking for, bruno mars or whatnot. I feel sorry the people who have poor taste in music.

Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline pianoamatuer

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 05:15:34 PM
I'm not too keen on the piano but I know how to dish out The Entertainer. It's a more easier version and it's just the theme but, hey - you gotta love ragtime!
I'm just a amateur taking a unconventional approach on the graceful, amazing piano.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 05:22:29 PM
I'm not too keen on the piano but I know how to dish out The Entertainer. It's a more easier version and it's just the theme but, hey - you gotta love ragtime!
entertainer lends itself well to a variety of abilities. ie just check this one, which i like the fresh spin on harmony

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 05:46:25 PM
My 'go-to' pieces are Astor Piazzolla tangos
'Oblivion

Milonga de angel

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 06:53:35 PM
Interesting offerings here - the Piazzolla, and take 5 are great in this context.. The version of entertainer - very colorful and expertly mapped out - very dynamic.. just great.
I might throw out Schubert impromptu #3, or Albeniz tango, Debussy - Passepied, or a fun fugue- WTC#2.. - or whatever is currently on my mind..  (folks love Mapleleaf rag)..

(if they want something moody- i might play Chopin prelude # 2, or the darkly dramatic Shostakovich prelude #14, or dark with iridescence  - Chopin Prelude Op. 45 )
4'33"

Offline dogperson

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 07:51:54 PM
Interestingly, I have recently  been allowed to play the grand pianos in two different public settings:  Israeli office building, and Greek hotel.... and in both places, it was amazing how many people recognized and appreciated Chopin. ... and not just guests at the hotel, but waitstaff, bellmen, front desk staff.

So, I guess I do add Chopin to my list of 'go to' and these were really only at decent practice level. ... but no one cared.  The other 'go to' (because I play it so much) is Clair de lune (don't groan, because it is always a hit, and yes, I love it)

Offline kalospiano

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:17 PM
If people who are not necessarily familiar with much piano repertory asked to me play I would go for something well known in order to catch their attention more; so I'd go for obvious classics like the Turkish March and Fur Elise, or some modern stuff like pieces from the Amelie movie soundtrack, otherwise something flashy but easy-ish like the Solfeggietto or Czerny's Etude Op. 299 n. 9. And I'd agree that The Entertainer is a perfect choice too. Gotta learn that one.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:05:14 PM
I play whatever I happen to remember...which is usually very little.

You could pick one or two of the less virtuoso Scarlatti sonatas... They tend to be easier to memorize than play to perfection, but less than perfect will do with general public...

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 08:17:51 PM
i used to troll a hospital lobby with Bartok...lool

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 08:33:18 PM
I play Isolde's Liebestod, Casta diva, or improvise. Asking for three notes to improvise on can be a good start.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 08:36:46 PM
Improvisation, ragtime, classical, in descending order of likelihood, but it seldom happens these days. In general, the average person cannot take more than about ten minutes of piano music of any sort. If I thought the listener had real interest, or the piano were good, then that would be a different matter.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline louispodesta

Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 01:01:10 AM
By "someone" I mean for example a friend or acquaintance (not a competition judge or playing for a conservatory audition.)  Perhaps this someone is someone you just met and he or she asks you to play something.  Do you have one or two pieces perfected and ready to go in a situation like this? 

I would probably just play whatever I've been practicing lately. But if I'm practicing it, then it's not yet perfected! 

Any suggestions of an intermediate/early advanced piece to master to play when asked?  No 8+++ virtuoso stuff.  The piece should probably not be too long, and should be something that a random "someone" would enjoy. 
Congratulations on being the first person to have the guts to even ask this question, who all who have posted here before have had to deal with in one form or another.   My recommendation, per my personal experience is as follows:

1)  If the person or persons (it is usually a small friendly group) asks you to play anything, I usually play a Brahms intermezzo or the great A Flat major Waltz.  That is due to the fact that they are expecting something "flashy" by Liszt.

2)  If it is not a normal audience, then a Rachmaninoff Prelude (G Sharp Minor) is recommended.

3)  Whatever you do, remember that you are the artist who has put into this a "Blood Sweat and Tears" process.  If in doubt, just tell them that you do not have anything "properly" prepared.  That put its back on them, which is it where it should be.

Finally, imagine these same so-called Fine Arts aficionados asking a prominent or up-coming painter or sculptor to "paint or sculpt something" on the fly/spot.

I am through apologizing for my Art as a Pianist, and so should you be!

Offline dogperson

Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 01:33:32 AM
 @Louis, I do not understand your analogy between a painter and a pianist.  If you were visiting the home of a painter, wouldn't you ask to see some of the works that he has produced?  Yes, you would.
If you were visiting the home of a pianist, and saw a piano, wouldn't you ask to hear the products of his art, by asking the pianist 'play a little something'.  Yes, you would.

The question was not an apology for 'Art as a Pianist' by asking this question and the analogy of a pianist and artist does not make sense.  Both produce a work of art--- the advantage of being a pianist over an artist is that, indeed, you can display your 'art' wherever a piano is available.  This is not a request to compose a virtuostic work and play it on the spot, just like you would not ask a painter to do that.  

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 05:22:45 AM

I have always kept Poem by Zdenko Fibich in my back pocket. Short and sweet but mostly very easy even if I forget a passage can improvise through it without crashing .  And it is over before the listener can get concerned about my ability or lack thereof.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 08:39:39 AM
Generally, I like to introduce people to music that is unfamiliar to them.  If there is a specific piece they want to hear, I will play some music new-to-them before granting the request.  I may also ask for a theme to improvise on.  

The thing that annoys me is when people don't seem to hold attention for the very thing they were asking.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 09:24:53 AM
Depending on the person will reflect the piece.

If it's someone that has no musical background, or just a friend, I will play something flashy, even if not perfect, they are unlikely to know the piece and any bum notes. For that I can fumble my way through the Op 10/5 Etude, it's happy, it's fast and it's quite loud.

If it's someone I'm trying to impress (mostly a female audience here) A good nocturne is solid, it has depth, it's got sorrow, emotion, and a few flashy bits that show you're good, but not a show off.

It also depends on if i've got their undivided attention, whether I believe the piece i'm about to play can get them emotionally invested into what they hear, rather than just what they see.

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline vaniii

Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 11:23:33 AM
I do one of two things:

Either, I play somthing VERY basic (three blind mice) and ask them to join in.  You would be suprised how many people appreciate 'doing' somthing.

Or, I simply refuse to play and direct them to a forthcoming concert performance.

I detest playing for people in situations like this, for a number of reasons, but mostly:

1) They judge your entire pianist integrity on an impromptu performance on usually an under-kept instrument that is in need of tuning.

2) This point at dinner parties inevitably happens after your first few sips of wine, which is sub optimum conditions to deliver something requiring concentration.

3) The 'audience' in this situation always ends up talking over you like you are a background CD.  In my opinion disrespectful after forcing you to play to them.

Family and friends know not to bother me with music; I am there to see them not provide free entertainment.

I asked a medical friend about this, they replied "I hate it when a non-medical professional finds out you are a doctor, they always want some advice on some something or other; one even wanted me to perform a check up ... in the kitchen ... I'm a dermatologist ... do they expect me to carry ointments?!"

Would you expect a chef to whip up some fine cuisine on the coffee table.  Most colleagues I know hide their profession when not working, and simply hope they are not recognized.

If you were a violinist or guitarist, they find out you play, would you whip out the guitar that you carried around for such situations.  It seems like such a vain and nasasictic thing to do, particularly to none musicians.

Forgive my cynicism; an opinion, nothing else.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 11:30:57 AM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 12:01:34 PM
I do one of two things:

Either, I play somthing VERY basic (three blind mice) and ask them to join in.  You would be suprised how many people appreciate 'doing' somthing.

Or, I simply refuse to play and direct them to a forthcoming concert performance.

I detest playing for people in situations like this, for a number of reasons, but mostly:

1) They judge your entire pianist integrity on an impromptu performance on usually an under-kept instrument that is in need of tuning.

2) This point at dinner parties inevitably happens after your first few sips of wine, which is sub optimum conditions to deliver something requiring concentration.

3) The 'audience' in this situation always ends up talking over you like you are a background CD.  In my opinion disrespectful after forcing you to play to them.

Family and friends know not to bother me with music; I am there to see them not provide free entertainment.

I asked a medical friend about this, they replied "I hate it when a non-medical professional finds out you are a doctor, they always want some advice on some something or other; one even wanted me to perform a check up ... in the kitchen ... I'm a dermatologist ... do they expect me to carry ointments?!"

Would you expect a chef to whip up some fine cuisine on the coffee table.  Most colleagues I know hide their profession when not working, and simply hope they are not recognized.

If you were a violinist or guitarist, they find out you play, would you whip out the guitar that you carried around for such situations.  It seems like such a vain and nasasictic thing to do, particularly to none musicians.

Forgive my cynicism; an opinion, nothing else.

And very understandable if you get your income from music. But I think most amateurs feel they can somewhat benefit from such performances as well even if it may be difficult. It is most annoying and frequent though that people ask you me play something and as soon as I do they start chatting...thinking I could just go on playing (which I cannot). But maybe it's because I play such odd music or because I just play so badly...

I think most professionals occasionally are expected to share their expertise with friends and relatives. Even I do and I work in a rather specialized field... Several of my family are in the health profession and they really get their fair share... I admit I personally have little to talk to my brother about unless I need a prescription or something:)

Offline vaniii

Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 01:48:33 PM
Ignore my cynicism.

[...] But I think most amateurs feel they can somewhat benefit from such performances as well even if it may be difficult. It is most annoying and frequent though that people ask me to play something and as soon as I do they start chatting [...] maybe it's because I play such odd music or because I just play so badly...

You are not alone in this; as I say to my students, any performance is a performance; use it.  These are useful engagement, and I do think it should be exploited.

From my experiences, the listener simply does not realise the effort it takes to perform even the simplest of tunes.

Music has been devalued becuase it is around us in abundance; TV adverts, themes and incidental music, ipods, radio, computer games, not to mention online videos of all and sundry sharing thier exploits, all contribute to any potential - impromptu - audience being less 'wowed' by your efforts to produce music for them.

Even if impressed, your average person would have switched channel or clicked another link.  Classical music comes from a time where it took a long time to do anything; just simply boiling water was an effort; playing a piano was equally so.  Today we press buttons and things happen; don't take offense, people see the keys and simply think ... it just happens; no effort or concentration.

---

That said, there are few individuals who sit quietly listening, watching ... wishing.  To all of you I say, play for them, ignore the rest.

---

Sorry for my tangent.

Offline stevensk

Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:51 PM
i used to troll a hospital lobby with Bartok...lool

THAT was funny! You made my day!   ;D ;D

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 09:52:36 PM
A general crowd, I play Scott Joplin Maple Leaf Rag.  Most people over 45 recognize it from the movie the Entertainer. I won't play the title song because of how Marvin Hamlisch messed up the rhythm, IMHO.    If he had been a train he would have broken a coupler or derailed the caboose. 
A church crowd, I flip open a hymnal and play a verse of something like When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, or Standing on the Promises. Boys like Onward Christian Soldiers.   I like Christmas carols if it is anywhere in the winter quarter of the year. 
A musically educated person, I play one of the JS Bach 2 part Inventions.  Works on piano or organ, but different technique for either.  It is over very fast. 

Offline stevensk

Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 10:13:50 PM

I play Chopin, nocturnes or something by Scriabin, if its a party I play Kapustin or ..a jazz tune

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 11:02:52 PM
For the pro musicians out there, I think it is also an opportunity to show what can be done in less than ideal circumstances: how one handles a situation that catches one off guard.  Can we as pros emerge from our pure intellectual bubble of isms and play music for the common person, in a common place, on an common instrument. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 01:23:02 AM
Rondo alla Turca:  "Classical enough" and a big bang finish!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2016, 10:14:14 AM
I do one of two things:

Either, I play somthing VERY basic (three blind mice) and ask them to join in.  You would be suprised how many people appreciate 'doing' somthing.

I won't quote the whole thing again, as not to take up the whole page.

It's a very interesting point, and I understand what you mean. Here's my outlook (admitedly an amateur in comparison I assume)

2 things, firstly, I am selfish, when it comes to piano playing, I'm not playing what I think others will like - regardless of the fact I have different pieces for different situations, I'm still essentially just playing what I like, and what I think would fit in a different situation. To summarize - I'm just playing for myself, and adapting what I like hearing, based on what I consider suitable in different situations.

I love being able to produce the music I love to hear, no matter what the situation.

Otherwise i'd just be playing "that tune from frozen" or "can you play something recent"... No i bloody can't. I think that applies (medical aside) to many professions where something can be produced. If you asked a chef for the same thing everytime you saw him, he/she would get pissed off sure, but if you say, make the meal you love to make, or an artist, draw something you love to draw, or a singer, sing something you love to sing, suddenly it doesn't feel like a monkey-dance-request, but appreciation for a skill.

Second, is that even if people are talking, I phase them out and mentally engage with the people that are listening, of which if there is none, i'm fully engaged with myself and the music. I always know, I hear if someone has stopped, or if they've quietened down, if clearly their concentration is on what i'm doing, and so I focus on that.

Funny side-story.

My piano is old, reasonably cheap and electric mini-grand style... my gf doesn't have the same appreciation for music unfortunately, and so the base of my piano behind the music stand, often becomes a coaster for her drinks (OH THE TRAVERSTY) as the piano backs onto the sofa. Nevertheless picture the scene, as it so often happens.

She sits down watching tele adjacent to the piano whilst I am deep in practice mode. She places a drink and often leaves to do other things, in that time, my rather mischievous boxer dog seizes the opportunity to jump up the sofa and starts drinking from the cup.

So many times she has asked me how is it possible that I do not notice this going on. And is simply the fact, as mentioned before, if it is only me listening to the beautiful music I can make, I am focusing on nothing other than that and the piano. I don't see anything around me.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline vaniii

Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 01:49:54 PM
[…]
To summarize - I'm just playing for myself, and adapting what I like hearing, based on what I consider suitable in different situations.
[…]

Aren’t we all, to some degree.

The two main points, that I wanted to make in my post:

1) People in these situations are fickle; they ask you to play and switch interest as soon as you do.

2) The fact that ‘one’ needs a piece to perform … just in case we need to prove themselves:

“You play piano”
“yes”
“play something”
* spectacle ensues *
“WOW! Your great”

It is all for reassurance: “Tell me I’m good”; Hence, my comment, vanity and narcissism.

Offline louispodesta

Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:33 PM
@Louis, I do not understand your analogy between a painter and a pianist.  If you were visiting the home of a painter, wouldn't you ask to see some of the works that he has produced?  Yes, you would.
If you were visiting the home of a pianist, and saw a piano, wouldn't you ask to hear the products of his art, by asking the pianist 'play a little something'.  Yes, you would.

The question was not an apology for 'Art as a Pianist' by asking this question and the analogy of a pianist and artist does not make sense.  Both produce a work of art--- the advantage of being a pianist over an artist is that, indeed, you can display your 'art' wherever a piano is available.  This is not a request to compose a virtuostic work and play it on the spot, just like you would not ask a painter to do that.  
Would you walk up to Robert De Niro or Al Pacino at a small party and say:  hey, whip out a line from the Godfather?   If you did, it would be the last time your host would ever invite you to another one of his/her functions.

1)  At most parties, people drink, and asking a pianist to "play something" (who has had even one glass of wine), is most in-appropriate.  Accordingly, I tried to impress my sister once with an on the fly performance of Claire de Lune, and I stunk.  That will never happen again!

2)  Painting, sculpture, and other visual media are "static" works of art.  Performance related art takes much preparation and planning, so asking someone to do something spontaneously is most disrespectful to the artist (in my opinion).

Therefore, according to your logic then, (when asked to play something) it would be okay to have a pianist whip out a CD of his/her particular works, and then stick it in a CD player for all to hear.  Gotcha!

All the best.

Offline dogperson

Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 12:02:08 AM
Would you walk up to Robert De Niro or Al Pacino at a small party and say:  hey, whip out a line from the Godfather?   If you did, it would be the last time your host would ever invite you to another one of his/her functions.

1)  At most parties, people drink, and asking a pianist to "play something" (who has had even one glass of wine), is most in-appropriate.  Accordingly, I tried to impress my sister once with an on the fly performance of Claire de Lune, and I stunk.  That will never happen again!

2)  Painting, sculpture, and other visual media are "static" works of art.  Performance related art takes much preparation and planning, so asking someone to do something spontaneously is most disrespectful to the artist (in my opinion).

Therefore, according to your logic then, (when asked to play something) it would be okay to have a pianist whip out a CD of his/her particular works, and then stick it in a CD player for all to hear.  Gotcha!

All the best.

Louis, it was YOUR original argument that 'you wouldn't ask a painter to whip up something', and your reply has now abandoned your original analogy when the fallacy was pointed out.  OK, you want to talk about the comparison of an actor and a pianist?   Robert De Niro displays his work by performing it on the big screen; he does not perform by sitting in his living room (or closet) alone. It is a performance art with the medium of the stage or movie....  Piano is a performance art with a wider medium:  wherever a piano is available.  

Would I ask De Niro to perform in my living room?  Not unless I personally knew him.  Neither would I ask a well-known concert pianist to perform in my living room....  would I ask a mere mortal pianist to play?   Yes and he/she could certainly decline.  And since I am a 'mere mortal pianist', I would be delighted to play because I would view this as sharing something I love.

Each to his own.

Offline vaniii

Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 11:48:44 AM
Its funny, this happened yesterday.

A tradesman who was doing some work saw the piano and asked me to play him something.

I literally played: I-Ib-IV-V-vi-Ib-IV-V-I, in E major.

That was sufficient for him to say, "nice, I wish I learned ..."

---

In regards to Louis, i do not understand how he has flip-flopped on his stance.  If anything he has further confirmed his stance.

If we are talking about screen actors - that being pre-recorded acting - the only comparable action woudl be a CD pianist.  It would be more relevant to consider and reference Ian Mackellan's or Patrick Stewart's stage work, asking them to recite from Othello or Henry V.

We have to remember active or passive medium.

Also as previous posters have stated, whether the person is an amateur who relishes the opertunity to perform, or a professional who is on their day off.

---

Honestly, it just depends on the audience and context of the situation.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 12:03:02 PM
Long ago my parents' landlord was a Spanish painter who lived part time in New York and part-time in Spain. In Spain he lived next to Andres Segovia. Another neighbor once asked them both to a party and asked Segovia to bring along his guitar. After dinner they asked him to play something. He did, beautifully. And the next day he sent them a bill for several thousand dollars.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 03:17:48 PM
And the next day he sent them a bill for several thousand dollars.

I gotta throw the BS flag.

Sorry.

But since 2002 the currency in Spain has been the Euro.  Prior to that it was the peseta.  Either way you don't send a bill in dollars to another Spaniard. 
Tim

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 04:07:08 PM
No, really not BS. This was long before the Euro. Obviously the bill was sent in Spanish currency. But I rather doubt that an amount expressed in 1960's pesetas would be meaningful to most people today.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 04:34:32 PM
No, really not BS. This was long before the Euro. Obviously the bill was sent in Spanish currency. But I rather doubt that an amount expressed in 1960's pesetas would be meaningful to most people today.

Not so obviously to me.  It's one of the common factors in urban legends that people don't take time to get the details right, and think nobody will notice.

But okay. 

This does suggest an answer to the request to play.  "Sorry, I'm a professional, I never play for free."  I suspect that will end the conversation.

Or just trot out Poisoning Pigeons in the Park or any of the other very accessible Tom Lehrer pieces. 
Tim

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 07:40:19 PM
It's good to be critical. The painter, who told me the story, was Jose Guerrero. I've no doubt he was indeed a friend of Segovia's because he once gave me a letter of introduction to meet Segovia after a concert, and it was well received. He might have made up the story I suppose, but I doubt it. Or Segovia might have told a story about what he wished he had done, making it sound as though he had actually done it.

In any case, the point, as you say, is that a reasonable response form a professional musician would be "Come to my concerts, I don't play for free," especially if someone seemed to be rying to take advantage.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 08:13:20 PM
If you're a working pro, and you need gigs for a living, you have to be a little careful about doing freebies.

Sometimes they can work in your favor, as advertising.

But if conditions aren't right for you to do your best - you've had one drink too many, the piano action is stiff, any of a host of possibilities - then you don't dare risk it.

Every gig is an audition, and you don't know who's listening.  You can shoot yourself in the foot being friendly.
Tim

Offline vaniii

Reply #39 on: November 25, 2016, 08:58:25 PM
If you're a working pro, and you need gigs for a living, you have to be a little careful about doing freebies.

Sometimes they can work in your favor, as advertising.

But if conditions aren't right for you to do your best - you've had one drink too many, the piano action is stiff, any of a host of possibilities - then you don't dare risk it.

Every gig is an audition, and you don't know who's listening.  You can shoot yourself in the foot being friendly.

Agreed; my mentor whilst studying stated this fact to me.  Honestly, you never know who is listening.  Professionally speaking, the music world is very small.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: November 26, 2016, 12:16:58 AM
Thank goodness I don't have anything to do with professional music then, I couldn't stand worrying about that sort of thing all the time. My main problem is psychological in that I hate performing. I played reasonably well for visitors last night but nowhere near what I can do when alone. Curiously, I have no inhibitions at all with recording, which I really enjoy, so I tend to dish out CDs and mp3s to people who express interest rather than play for them. I suppose it's a pity in a way but I don't think I can change myself now at my age.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: November 26, 2016, 02:22:42 AM
This is one of the best "professional" questions I've seen here.  

I think there was a "Master Class" by pop pianist Richard Tee that said something about a practical fact, namely that once you sit down at a session, you should always play something technically "hard" so you can get down to making music.

This is rtarded, but I keep a little few things/flourishes that serve to convince the squares that "oh, yeah, this guy can play," so that at a party or whatever I can just play whatever I want.

Trouble is, I have no idea what squares think is "impressive" piano.  

Yes, it is disappointing to me, the general lack of taste.  

So, fine, what I've been assuming is that the average jerk thinks things like one of the Brahms Rhapsodies, or maybe a bit of Beethoven's Op. 27 no. 1, or one of Beethoven's Op. 126, or something signals to some square "Oh, wow, they can play some legit music!"  

Of course that's ridiculous, but, here's a secret, your average person doesn't know sh** about piano technique.  

The whole idea is just to do some little flourish so you can play what you feel like, and they can feel like they have a "real pianist" in the room.

To be honest, I have no idea what sounds "impressive" to the average joe/jill, but I've learned that it doesn't take much to impress them, and once they have it in his or head that you're "serious music," then you can play whatever you feel like, even if it's "slow and boring and melodic."

ETA and that, boys and girls, is a very good, practical reason why one practices scales and patterns HT in thirds and sixths and.  Hell, even the b-minor Sinfonia has its uses.  And once you've established your "creds," you can actually play something off-the-cuff and have some fun.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: November 26, 2016, 08:35:31 AM
To be honest, I have no idea what sounds "impressive" to the average joe/jill ...
True story:  Some years ago, when I had just gotten back to piano after 35 years and had been working with a piano teacher first time in my life for about a year, I was visiting an elderly couple, friends of my parents.  They had a piano so I ended up playing it since they asked about what I had been doing.  I played two pieces I had done with my teacher which he had approved of and I rather liked.  If you were a pianist you might appreciate its difficulty and how well it was played.  They sat listening politely.
On an impulse, I launched into Fuer Elise.  That is to say, I launched into something I had played 35 years before as a self-taught kid, had not played since and I had to fudge parts together.  The wife closed her eyes; swayed back and forth gently; softly hummed the theme whenever it came up.  I got into the mood by playing it emotionally.  The conclusion I got at that moment was that if you play something familiar that people can relate to, something like F.E., then you've got your little audience.  It was not played nearly as well as the other two pieces.

Offline kuska

Reply #43 on: November 26, 2016, 08:42:55 AM
what would I play... some modern drama would be fine, Shakespeare is overrated ;)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: November 26, 2016, 06:19:07 PM
what would I play... some modern drama would be fine, Shakespeare is overrated ;)

Finally, someone agrees with me.  Well, I wouldn't go as far as you, but the cult of Shakespeare is a little tired.  Molière's *The Misanthrope* was first performed, IIRC, in 1666, or something, and is the equal of any play. 

This does remind me that I should probably knuckle down one of these days and memorize the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody, just to subtly make fun of people who ask you to "play something."  You know, because of the Tom and Jerry cartoon.  I actually think it's pretty good music, it's just a lot of notes and if you don't have photographic memory, it's kind of a PITA to commit to memory.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: November 26, 2016, 07:02:57 PM
I wouldn't; I'd reply "isn't there a pianist in the house somewhere?"...

Best,

Alistair

Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: November 27, 2016, 02:34:03 PM
Straying from the topic but related in a way...

To pianists who are performing frequently(may or may not be on the spot)

How is it, that pianists, or members of the forum, play pieces cold, and play it well on the spot? Is there some sort of secret to performing it on the spot?

I have little problems playing some of the easiest bach inventions on the spot, but when I get to my sonatas... Bam. Fingers feel stiff as an ox., fluidity is lost, smoothness of scales are lost. :(

Offline vaniii

Reply #47 on: November 27, 2016, 03:19:10 PM
Straying from the topic but related in a way...

To pianists who are performing frequently(may or may not be on the spot)

How is it, that pianists, or members of the forum, play pieces cold, and play it well on the spot? Is there some sort of secret to performing it on the spot?

I have little problems playing some of the easiest bach inventions on the spot, but when I get to my sonatas... Bam. Fingers feel stiff as an ox., fluidity is lost, smoothness of scales are lost. :(

The secret is doing it; as with all musical endeavors.

The more you do it, the less you worry about do it, and simply do it.

I would say secondarily, conditioning your mind and body into 'performance mode', that is practicing concentrating on the music.  Acknowledging your surroundings, but not shifting focus takes practice.

Regularly ask friends, family and friends to listen impromptually.  The problem is, if you get familiar with a particular person, you will create a problem when you eventually play to some one 'new'.

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: November 27, 2016, 03:57:53 PM
The more you do it, the less you worry about do it, and simply do it.

Tough luck, music stores are the only places where I can play. Practicing always has a different feeling than performing without warm ups.

I just want to sit down and play my nocturnes and sonatas withouy warm ups!. (Don't we all?)

Thank you for the input!

Offline vaniii

Reply #49 on: November 27, 2016, 10:01:28 PM
Tough luck, music stores are the only places where I can play. Practicing always has a different feeling than performing without warm ups.

I just want to sit down and play my nocturnes and sonatas withouy warm ups!. (Don't we all?)

Thank you for the input!

Play to a metronome at a slower speed than your performance tempo with the aim of playing every note correctly in time. This is adequate practice for concentration and performance.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert