Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Which Beethoven Sonatas for Auditions  (Read 5039 times)

Offline mishamalchik

Which Beethoven Sonatas for Auditions
on: December 15, 2016, 08:13:22 AM
      Recently I learned that the Beethoven Sonatas op 49 are banned from most (but not all) auditions due to their lack of difficulty. Given that they are explicitly banned on some but not all auditions, it makes me wonder if there's a bit of an unwritten rule about pieces that should not be played for an audition.
        Are there any other classical sonatas of Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert that are generally considered inappropriate for auditions? Generally, I would ask my teacher but he's away for the holidays and I want to get started on the piece.

Offline feddera

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which Beethoven Sonatas for Auditions
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:37:10 AM
It really depends on the particular school you are applying to. I auditioned with:

Bach: p&f in d minor (wtc book1)
Beethoven: pathetique mvt2 and mvt3
Liszt: les cloches de geneve
Grieg: prelude from Holberg suite

...which is not a very demanding set of pieces, but I still got in. I would recommend talking to a teacher at the school you are interested in beforehand, to make sure that your program is good enough!

Offline samdm93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:47:02 AM
I would personally avoid any popular/regularly heard Sonata movements for auditions for two reasons;
A) The examiner has probably heard it so many times thus scrutinizing the performance more.
B) It shows a lack of imagination and repertoire.

Out of the composers you mentioned, Beethoven's 'Moonlight' Sonata (although I love it) is sort of a no-no in my opinion.

For Mozart, the Sonata in A (K331) because of the Alla Turca movement.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:17:22 AM
I think overplayed selections can work if placed in an uncommon program, or a themed program.  Just don't populate your program with overplayed selections.

For example, the following IMO is too much:

Bach: WTC 1, C major
Beethoven: Pathétique
Chopin: Fantasie Improptu
Debussy: La cathédrale engloutie
Rachmaninoff: Op. 3/2 (as the 20th century work)
Chopin: Op 10/12 (for the Etude)

But something like this might be a better starting point to explore the rep

Soler - Sonata in F#, R 90
Bach - Toccata in E Minor, BWV 914 (if Bach is a specific requirement)
Beethoven - Tempest
Chopin - Rondo Op 1
Debussy - Minstrels
Albéniz - Iberia: El Albaicin (alternate for Impressionist category)
Medtner - Fairy Tale Op.51 No.1 (Early 20th Century)
Scriabin - Etude Op. 42 No. 6
A living composer from your country of residence, or school location.

Just thinking here but this would be interesting for a theme, though a bit impractical for auditions:

Beethoven: Moonlight
Chopin: Sonata 2
Medtner: Nightwind Sonata Op.25 No. 2
Scriabin: Vers La Flamme

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline nastassja

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 01:53:55 PM
As for Mozart sonatas, I was once told to avoid the "romantic" ones (like the one in a minor). My teacher said by choosing such a piece, it would be easier for the judges to say that you play classical pieces inappropriately. You want the different styles to be as distinct as possible, so maybe avoid the classical "borderline"-romantic pieces. 

Offline maestroanth

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:30 AM
Glad there is still a need for some new composers!!!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 03:52:38 PM
Glad there is still a need for some new composers!!!

Do you plan on filling that void?

There are many "new" composers but they will never replace the masters of the bygone era.  Some people think that we still play Beethoven because there is nothing "new" to play that is worth playing. This is not the case. It's just that the contemporary composers do not have 200 years of staying power...yet.

OP:
Basically if it's very famous or very easy you want to audition with something else because the judges have heard it too many times.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:51:54 AM
If you're up for a true challenge, the Les Adieux sonata (81a) is an absolute beast to play. That said, it's also a gorgeous masterwork, so if you can manage it, I highly recommend it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert