Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Concert piece  (Read 1643 times)

Offline jmallet

Concert piece
on: December 23, 2016, 03:15:35 PM
I have been told that I don't choose good "concert pieces"...

so if you had to pick, would you perform in a concert:

Movement 1 or Movement 3 from the Ravel Sonatine???

(or are they both bad choices and I should just do a showy chopin waltz :p )

also, how in general would you define a "good concert piece"? Usually I just pick music that I love and I think I have something to say about them.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Concert piece
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 12:43:04 AM
Generally a concert stage work will be more grand, so something like this or somilar is usually more of a "concert" work

Offline avanchnzel

• PS Silver Member
Re: Concert piece
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 06:04:33 AM
At a recent recital I performed a short all-Ravel segment and began it with the Prelude from Le tombeau de Couperin, stuck the whopping Une barque sur l'ocean in the middle and closed off quietly with the Sonatine's second movement. I actually don't really like playing showy pieces and prefer the subtlety of Ravel's music to hook an audience instead.

Both the first and third movements of the Sonatine are good to play in a concert - and why not play the second movement as well?

I choose pieces that I believe the audience will enjoy. Most members of the audience aren't very well-acquainted with Ravel beyond Bolero and I like to show them the hidden gems among his piano works. Bad concert pieces to play alone, I think, are things like Le Gibet - makes me want to fall asleep!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert