Would like suggestions for good classical

processionals and recessionals

for weddings

Thank you

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Wedding Music
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:55:51 PM
I have found over the years that almost anything which has a good steady beat -- andante -- works well.  They should be in a major key, or at least major mood (example of minor key, major mood is the Christmas carol "Masters in the Hall").

It should also be relatively simple in itself; that is, it shouldn't draw attention to itself: the event is about the bride and groom, not the virtuosity (or lack of it!) of the organist/pianist.

It also should be possible to either lengthen it or shorten it at the time.  This is particularly true of the processional: brides have been known to take an astonishingly long time getting in -- or to rush down the aisle at a truly remarkable pace.

Pay close attention to any common texts.  Someone in the congregation will know them, and if they are inappropriate, that's not good.

Be extremely wary of secular music.  Some of it is OK.  Some of it has associations which are all wrong -- the best examples of which are the Mendelssohn "Wedding March" from the incidental music to A Midsummer's Night Dream (the wedding to which it refers in the play is a dream -- and between the wrong two people anyway; not a good way to bring in the bride) and the wedding March from Lohengrin which, if anything is worse: that wedding is pre-ordained to failure and you really don't want that.

Consult with your clergy person.  Consult with the bride.  Consult with the bride's family.  You can even ask the groom...

And good luck!
Ian

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 01:03:49 AM
 :o
;D  :P  8)
Skip to 1:40 ...fireworks at 3:10ish...
to hear professor Takushi's transformation. He makes his arrangemet available on his site linked in video description

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:33:01 AM
Processional:  Wagner's Bridal Chorus from his opera Lohengrin (aka Here comes the Bride).

Recessional: Mendelsohn's Wedding March from his suite of incidental music to Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Funeral: Chopin funeral march from his Piano Sonata #2.  ;)

Offline octave_revolutionary

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:42:33 AM
Processional:  Wagner's Bridal Chorus from his opera Lohengrin (aka Here comes the Bride).

Recessional: Mendelsohn's Wedding March from his suite of incidental music to Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Funeral: Chopin funeral march from his Piano Sonata #2.  ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ; EPIC POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ......you must really know what marriage is like...........  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 07:51:29 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ; EPIC POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ......you must really know what marriage is like...........  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi Octave.  Not what I meant.  I was referring to the “until death do us part” clause of the marriage vows.  ;)

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:03:10 PM
Processional:  Wagner's Bridal Chorus from his opera Lohengrin (aka Here comes the Bride).

Funeral: Chopin funeral march from his Piano Sonata #2.  ;)

Those two are absolutely inappropriate for a wedding; please see my remarks above!  I have never permitted either one to be played, nor have I played either one, in my churches.  Period.  Don't even think about them.
Ian

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 05:18:03 PM
Those two are absolutely inappropriate for a wedding; please see my remarks above!  I have never permitted either one to be played, nor have I played either one, in my churches.  Period.  Don't even think about them.

You raise good points.  All my years of watching old movies, sitcoms and cartoons may have influenced my thinking.  I hope you can at least approve my choice for funeral music.  ;)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 07:15:58 PM
Ian's opinions are worth noting regarding the Wagner and Mendelssohn. 

We must also consider if the wedding takes places in a sacred space or a civil space.  Personally, I would set different criteria for the choices in music depending on where the ceremony occurs.  Some people might not want their civil wedding to sound too churchy, and vice versa.

Keep in mind who is providing your check if you have the temptation to voice strong opinions on repertoire.  Remain true to yourself, but know what crosses the line and when to bite your tongue. 

There may be cases when there is a repertoire conflict: say bride requests abc piece and is adamant that it is non-negotiable, musician wishes to deny the request.  In such case, refer to the officiant.  If the officiant approves then you play the piece regardless of your protest.  Your other option would be to pass on the wedding to another musician. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 07:29:16 PM
You raise good points.  All my years of watching old movies, sitcoms and cartoons may have influenced my thinking.  I hope you can at least approve my choice for funeral music.  ;)

The Chopin is fine, at least on a piano!  The biggest problem with both weddings and funerals, though, is that one has to have lots of music available for the "prelude", if there is to be one.  Why?  Because the central players in both ceremonies are not always spot on time... to put it mildly (you might think this wouldn't be a problem at a funeral.  You'd be surprised...)

Quantum's comments are spot on, too.  The requirements for music in a secular space are very different from a sacred space.  A lot more flexible.  Also, the comments about repertoire conflicts.  There usually won't be a problem in a sacred space -- the chances are the officiant and the minister of music are on the same page as regards appropriate music.  However, a word of protocol there.  Most churches do have a designated (usually very poorly paid!) minister of music.  If you are coming in from "outside", you should, as a courtesy if nothing else, negotiate with that individual as to the use of the instruments -- and, in most churches, as to a payment (that sounds so crass and commercial...).
Ian

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 09:35:27 PM
Would like suggestions for good classical

processionals and recessionals

for weddings

Thank you

What does the wedding party want ?   That is where to start with this question. I have only played a few weddings and played something different every time ranging from The famous "Here comes the bride " to "When I am 64 ". I even did a wedding where the groom wrote a baroque style two part piece that he wanted me to play for the march. It worked very well at the right tempo. I have seen others in the thread label Sacred vs Secular but it really boils down to what the Bride and Groom want, unless they dont get a choice. It I had to only pick from classical repertiore, I would pick any of the Bach preludes, or a Minuet by Beethoven.  A Gavotte style piece might work at the right tempo. OR maybe they want Mendelsohn.   

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:50:04 AM
I have seen others in the thread label Sacred vs Secular but it really boils down to what the Bride and Groom want, unless they dont get a choice.

In a sacred space there are usually specific criteria that need to be adhered to.  It does not favor the place of worship well if they just let every couple dictate how the wedding should be run. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert