Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Post-Grade 8 piece suggestions  (Read 3536 times)

Offline annaguariento

Post-Grade 8 piece suggestions
on: January 08, 2017, 03:14:04 PM
Hello,

I completed my Grade 8 exam a couple of months ago, and I'm now looking for pieces to work on that are slightly more challenging than Grade 8. Pieces I've been working on recently include Chopin's Waltz op.69 no.2, Nocturne op.32 no1, and Nocturne op.55 no.1.
I haven't been playing piano for very long, just over 3 years, so my technique is still rudimental. I'm guessing I'm not yet at the stage where I can even think of tackling any of Chopin's Etudes, but any other pieces that really help with technique would be very useful.

Thank you!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Post-Grade 8 piece suggestions
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 03:25:36 PM
Consider Ellinor Remmick Warren considered neo romantic in slant ie like Barber somewhat but i temd to prefer Warren
Her work along the shore ( suite type) is fantastic
Ie excerpts

I. Dark hills

Ii nocturne

Iii sea rhapsody

This was later orchestrated as the third movement of Warren's tone poem, "Along the Western Shore". Warren's love of the full tonal range of the symphony orchestra is readily apparent in this virtuosic piano piece, where one can readily imagine the restlessness of the sea, its surging waves breaking against a shore.

Offline avanchnzel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:49:21 PM
Scarbo  8)

Offline zxiao9

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:38:47 PM
Why not do some Mozart sonatas? I find them really helpful in laying the foundations of techniques. I think popular Mozart sonatas like K310, K331 or K332 should be about you skills.

Offline annaguariento

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 04:06:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Why not do some Mozart sonatas? I find them really helpful in laying the foundations of techniques. I think popular Mozart sonatas like K310, K331 or K332 should be about you skills.

Definitely going to try this. Thank you for your help!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:31:07 PM
If you like Chopin...

A great introduction to his bravura style pieces imo. Once my teacher found out that op. 22 was one of my goals, this is what she told me to learn. : ] Also complements really well with Mozart considering how Mozartian Chopin can be.

Offline annaguariento

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:40:26 PM
If you like Chopin...

A great introduction to his bravura style pieces imo. Once my teacher found out that op. 22 was one of my goals, this is what she told me to learn. : ] Also complements really well with Mozart considering how Mozartian Chopin can be.

This is a great suggestion, thanks so much! I'll definitely check it out. I'll play anything Chopin (well, anything from the small fraction of his work that is actually approachable for me.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert