Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What do I learn next?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline clarinetist

• PS Silver Member
What do I learn next?
on: January 15, 2017, 11:39:17 PM
I'm taking a hiatus from piano lessons until the summer or fall for various reasons, and I'd like to keep improving my technique.

What I've learned since last July:

Beethoven, Pathetique, 2nd movement
Debussy, La fille aux cheveux de lin
Shostakovich, Prelude #1
Bach, Two-Part Invention #1 (C major)

At this point, I'm not sure what to learn next. Most of the stuff that I -do- want too learn is too hard.  This would include the Chopin c# minor waltz and the Suite Bergamesque prelude by Debussy. My interests are mainly in late-Romantic and 20th century music (Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Ravel, Debussy, Prokofiev, etc.).

I'm mainly interested in some repertoire that I can have to play for my teacher once I meet up with him again in the summer/fall that I can pull together in 2-3 hours a week of practice. Do any of you have recommendations, given this information? I've had a hard time learning fast pieces - most (if not all) of the pieces I've learned are at a slow to moderate tempo, so something fast that would be doable in that time frame for me would be great.

Offline dogperson

Re: What do I learn next?
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:10:34 AM
Debussy 'Reverie'

Chopin Nocturne C minor

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: What do I learn next?
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:52:50 AM
Try Chaminade Etude op35 no2 Automne. Not difficult and has excitng middle "winter" part.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert