Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: improving or just waste of time?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline olivialeonie

improving or just waste of time?
on: January 21, 2017, 07:49:09 PM
Hi!

I have thought a lot about what I can do when I don’t have access to a piano, like when my school is locked or I am sick at home. So I came to think about all the unused sheet music that is laying around in my room, so I thought about that I maybe just can look at them , write down the note names, and analyze the accords that are used in the piece. But is that something productive or just simple waste of time! I would like to have your opinion  ;D
or do you maybe have other method that don't involve a piano? i welcome any suggestion :)

Thanks for answering :)

(Please don’t mind my bad English, it is my third language)

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Re: improving or just waste of time?
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:58:23 PM
Hi!

I have thought a lot about what I can do when I don’t have access to a piano, like when my school is locked or I am sick at home. So I came to think about all the unused sheet music that is laying around in my room, so I thought about that I maybe just can look at them , write down the note names, and analyze the accords that are used in the piece. But is that something productive or just simple waste of time! I would like to have your opinion  ;D
or do you maybe have other method that don't involve a piano? i welcome any suggestion :)

Thanks for answering :)

(Please don’t mind my bad English, it is my third language)

Not a waste of time at all...in fact it's excellent.  It won't feel like it's helping at first but someday you will know without a doubt that it did.

At university I felt so small as a player so I concentrated on getting great grades in theory, Music history, and the like.  I spent hours at harmonic analysis every day and I was always the first one done with my theory tests. Now because of that I know the chord progression at a glance. 

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: improving or just waste of time?
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:21 PM
I've felt the same way many times in my life it seems.  I think you're doing the right thing -- well, it's what I would do if I didn't have access to my instrument, namely, create a plan and execute it.  Learn to sight-sing random intervals:  do one bar twice a day when you brush and floss.  Repeat for a few months. 

You can substitute anything you want, or whatever -- maybe playing one ascending scale on guitar, or doing a few pushups.  Or not smoking that extra bowl of pipe tobacco. 

If it were me, I'd put the extra time into being a better guitar player, or a better singer/composer, but the possibilities are sort of up to you.

Wow, that was preachy, but that's sort of my deal now is like doing stuff and I don't know, I'm old so that's apparently what people with a '4' in front of their ages do.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert