Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Your thoughts on my teacher & help  (Read 5057 times)

Offline pianist7s

• PS Silver Member
Your thoughts on my teacher & help
on: January 23, 2017, 11:22:53 AM
So, this will be my 3rd Piano Teacher and I been watching his piano videos for weeks. I like his piano playing. I think he be great teacher for me, unlike my other two teachers they wasn't great teach for me.

I been playing the piano for 4 years and I started at age of 19 and I was self taught for 3 years. I have learn Beethoven Fur Elise, Mozart k.545, Bach Prelude in C major, CPE Bach Solfeggietto, Yiruma River Flows In You, Chopin Waltz in A minor ( Just half of it), and Beethoven Moonlight Sontat 1st Movement. And half of those piece are on my Yt channel. And few of those pieces I have go back learn it again because forgot the notes, due because I stop playing the piano due to work for whole month. So, didn't really have time to play like I would used to everyday for 1-2hrs before I was full time.

But decide to make time so I'm currently working on Mozart Turkish March and I'm like 90% done with this piece. My fingers are currently weak at the moment and I been trying play everyday so I get my strength back or maybe you guys can help me with that.

My sight reading isn't that good so my teacher Jingjing Wang will lead me in the right direction so I don't pickup no more bad habits. My goal to improve my sight reading and to be best I can be. I just want to see you guys thoughts or opinion on his piano playing. And I need some help at 1:05 to 1:20:

I can't seem play these bars on tempo it's like my right and left hand freeze up and guess because not using correct fingering for the notes. But I can play it slow hands together just take a look at my video of my progress from 2 months ago

my teacher playing Chopin Etude Op10 No.1

My progress Mozart Turkish March 2 months ago:

Offline vaniii

Re: Your thoughts on my teacher & help
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:25:30 PM
Thank you for posting; it does take a lot of courage to put oneself out there.

My advice would be to stop worrying or comparing yourself to others, particularly a musician who is of an entirely different caliber.

Your teacher is clearly an accomplished musician, who has studied for perhaps most of his life.

You are still learning, and so, must accept this; please do this before you go any further.

I will give you some comment on your video, please excuse my obsessions with the details, but believe me when I say it makes a difference; even the minor ones.

Your sheet-music is crumpled.  The score is precious; you must respect it.  Before you play a note, you have to read it, and, if like yours, it is a crumpled mess, your reading will be effected.  This is immediately telling of any student, who does not use the music and so has allowed to get into this condition.

You are not paying any attention to your time.  Are you counting?  It gets a lot easier if you put the notes down at the right time.  If you have to go at a crawl, so be it; at least the foundation will be solid.

There is very little attention to the detail; this is Mozart.  He was all about the details; this was written during a time when musicians had a very thin margin for creativity, and so used every faucet of what they had, because it was limited.  If Brahms used a wide brush and an assortment of colour, by contrast, Mozart had a super thin one with a very limited colour pallet.  Not to say contrast was not there, but it was much more refined and very, very, precise; he did not use dynamics wastfully, his forte was saved for those moments when his music needed it.  Brahms would use forte, and more importantly, gradient, because he could and it was at that point a standard concept.

Think by comparison to the confines of, Super Mario Bros, in comparison to its various remakes (https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2030/1589360805_21e4f009ae.jpg).  Essentially they are the same game, but due to breakthroughs in technology, one has substantially more tools to ‘play with’, resulting in a somewhat different experience.

The problems you have encountered in this piece are because you are not listening to what you are playing; I will say it again, you are not listening, or rather, listening fully.  Forgive my bluntness, but there is so much you are not hearing that needs to be worked on in isolation.  Most importantly is your ability to keep time consistent and constant.

Your weaknesses in left-hand coordination is due to your insufficient knowledge of scales and arpeggios.  This is Viennese classical music; the entire school of thought is built on scales and arpeggios, to neglect them would be a dire mistake on your part.

Do not see this as an attack on you, but a criticism of the music you are making.  You clearly have the spirit and drive, but what is lacking is your discipline and patience; slow yourself down and it will begin to work for you.

Sight-reading is not a separate part of music making; in classical music making, it is the point: "Recreating the music of others with precision by means of sheet-music".  Work on your ability to look at the page, and you will improve dramatically, even by the default: “you actually see what you have to do with it.”

Please post more, I am interested in your progress.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:57 PM
In regards to thoughts on your teacher: All we know is how he plays, but not how he teaches.  I don't see how we can have thoughts on your teacher.  If he were to play badly, then he can't teach what he can't do, so at least we know that.  I looked up the name.  His stated teaching philosophy doesn't go into more detail than to say that he gears lessons to his students, which is good.  Feedback by students and parents mention some specifics such as having learned skills such as sight reading, learning to listen, and emphasis on good technique.  All of this sounds good.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:15:35 AM
In regards to thoughts on your teacher: All we know is how he plays, but not how he teaches.  I don't see how we can have thoughts on your teacher.  If he were to play badly, then he can't teach what he can't do, so at least we know that.  I looked up the name.  His stated teaching philosophy doesn't go into more detail than to say that he gears lessons to his students, which is good.  Feedback by students and parents mention some specifics such as having learned skills such as sight reading, learning to listen, and emphasis on good technique.  All of this sounds good.

Everyone on the forum should take the time to read and research before posting as you do keypeg.  Think of the intelligent well supported comments we would have around here. It would curb the outbreaks of "troll-ism" threads I bet...maybe even rid the forum of them completely.

To the OP

I would like to hear the Mozart again after a few months with your new teacher.  It will be far easier for us to answer your question then, especially since you have now given us a baseline for comparison.  When you post the Rondo again it will be quite clear how well you have learned from your new teacher.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:09:26 PM

Everyone on the forum should take the time to read and research before posting as you do keypeg.  Think of the intelligent well supported comments we would have around here. It would curb the outbreaks of "troll-ism" threads I bet...maybe even rid the forum of them completely.
Yes, our own veritable Ruler of the Queen's Navy!
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:35:40 PM
pianist7s,

What you have presented here is an example of how you play, and an example of how your teacher players.  The chemistry between student and teacher can not be summed up by simply comparing recordings of both of you playing, there is much more to it than that.  

You really should be concentrating on your own progress - how your teacher is helping you to become a better musician.  Learning how to play an instrument is a lifelong journey, not something that often sees immediate results despite what infomercials tell you.  Be patient, document your playing, and trust your teacher.  You will likely have a better picture of your progress if you compare your playing say one or two years ago with how you play today.  

Compete with yourself, not your teacher.  

Your sheet-music is crumpled.  The score is precious; you must respect it.  Before you play a note, you have to read it, and, if like yours, it is a crumpled mess, your reading will be effected.  This is immediately telling of any student, who does not use the music and so has allowed to get into this condition.

Rather perplexing observation.  I've seen music in much worse condition contained in the libraries of professional music organizations.   Its what they have, so it is what the musicians use.  Does the listener care about the condition of the sheets or the sounds they hear?  Does anybody pay a ticket price to go to a concert to see the condition of sheet music the musicians are reading from?  In this age of digital music when many professionals forgo paper for digital displays, I feel it is more nitpicking and there are more serious topics to deal with.  Sheet music is easily replaceable if one's copy gets dogeared. In my books music > score.

You are not paying any attention to your time.  Are you counting?  It gets a lot easier if you put the notes down at the right time.  If you have to go at a crawl, so be it; at least the foundation will be solid.

There is very little attention to the detail; this is Mozart.  He was all about the details; this was written during a time when musicians had a very thin margin for creativity, and so used every faucet of what they had, because it was limited.  If Brahms used a wide brush and an assortment of colour, by contrast, Mozart had a super thin one with a very limited colour pallet.  Not to say contrast was not there, but it was much more refined and very, very, precise; he did not use dynamics wastfully, his forte was saved for those moments when his music needed it.  Brahms would use forte, and more importantly, gradient, because he could and it was at that point a standard concept.

Think by comparison to the confines of, Super Mario Bros, in comparison to its various remakes (https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2030/1589360805_21e4f009ae.jpg).  Essentially they are the same game, but due to breakthroughs in technology, one has substantially more tools to ‘play with’, resulting in a somewhat different experience.

The problems you have encountered in this piece are because you are not listening to what you are playing; I will say it again, you are not listening, or rather, listening fully.  Forgive my bluntness, but there is so much you are not hearing that needs to be worked on in isolation.  Most importantly is your ability to keep time consistent and constant.

Your weaknesses in left-hand coordination is due to your insufficient knowledge of scales and arpeggios.  This is Viennese classical music; the entire school of thought is built on scales and arpeggios, to neglect them would be a dire mistake on your part.

Do not see this as an attack on you, but a criticism of the music you are making.  You clearly have the spirit and drive, but what is lacking is your discipline and patience; slow yourself down and it will begin to work for you.

Sight-reading is not a separate part of music making; in classical music making, it is the point: "Recreating the music of others with precision by means of sheet-music".  Work on your ability to look at the page, and you will improve dramatically, even by the default: “you actually see what you have to do with it.”

All valid points of discourse.  However, some of these topics are presented in a manner which fellow teachers or musicologists would converse about, probably not the best choice of presentation considering the OP's situation.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline vaniii

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 08:56:22 PM
Rather perplexing observation.  I've seen music in much worse condition contained in the libraries of professional music organizations.   Its what they have, so it is what the musicians use.  Does the listener care about the condition of the sheets or the sounds they hear?  Does anybody pay a ticket price to go to a concert to see the condition of sheet music the musicians are reading from?  In this age of digital music when many professionals forgo paper for digital displays, I feel it is more nitpicking and there are more serious topics to deal with.  Sheet music is easily replaceable if one's copy gets dogeared. In my books music > score.
This observation, perplexing as it may be, is an observation; presentation matters.  As you quite rightfully stated, audience members are paying for audible music, not a score, however, I am not referring to the audience’s perspective at this point.  I am referring to a learning musician who is trying their hardest to learn music from it.

Sight reading is a hard enough task for some people, why make this process more challenging by creating obstacles where there need not be.  This situation has arrived because ‘pianist7s’ paid little attention to the score, and so, over time neglected it.

In regards to music organisations who have scores in worse conditions, I would suspect you are referring to choral societies, orchestras, or rented pit-band music.  In which case, the music is old, decrepit, and more than likely over time suffered the same treatment, by performers who it mattered little to.  I was taught to respect my sheet music because it is the foundation of what I was hoping to achieve.  As pianist, we are usually the focal point for a performance and so need every aspect to be in optimal condition; or at least the controllable aspects.

Question to you 'Quantum': Would you pick up music in this condition and prepare a performance from it?
(No agenda, just curious)

All valid points of discourse.  However, some of these topics are presented in a manner which fellow teachers or musicologists would converse about, probably not the best choice of presentation considering the OP's situation.

Duly noted.

However, Mozart should sound like Mozart.

Which begs the question, what is the OP’s motivation?

‘Pianist7s’ playing marcia alla turca

- or -

‘Pianist7s’ performing Mozart’s Marcia alla turca

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:08:38 PM

Sight reading is a hard enough task for some people, why make this process more challenging by creating obstacles where there need not be.  This situation has arrived because ‘pianist7s’ paid little attention to the score, and so, over time neglected it.

I hate hate hate reading manuscript, especially as I age and my eyes fade a bit.  I'd take a typeset or notated score, however mangled, any day.  But, it comes with the territory.  Some guys are really good at it and it doesn't bother them at all; I envy them. 
Tim

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 02:25:49 PM
Yes, our own veritable Ruler of the Queen's Navy!

Whose praise Great Britain always chants.

He polished up the handle so carefully that now he is the ruler of the queens navy

Always nice to meet another G&S fan....HMS Pinafore is my favorite.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 02:58:34 PM

Always nice to meet another G&S fan....HMS Pinafore is my favorite.

Hard to beat Pirates of Penzance for sheer approachability though.
Tim

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:50:31 PM
Hard to beat Pirates of Penzance for sheer approachability though.

That's why we approach it with cat like tread be it animal, vegetable, or mineral

Hardy-har-har. 

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:31 PM
Question to you 'Quantum': Would you pick up music in this condition and prepare a performance from it?
(No agenda, just curious)

As a member of a professional music organization, I frequently have to use sheet music in poor condition.  It does not bother me for the most part.  

There are also a number of old scores that have been passed on to me through generations of teachers.  Some are out of print or difficult to find, and I use these as well.  I do take care to make sure minimal wear is caused to them.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline vaniii

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 01:13:16 AM
As a member of a professional music organization, I frequently have to use sheet music in poor condition.  It does not bother me for the most part. 

There are also a number of old scores than have been passed on to me through generations of teachers.  Some are out of print or difficult to find, and I use these as well.  I do take care to make sure minimal wear is caused to them.

Thank you.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 03:06:06 AM

My advice would be to stop worrying or comparing yourself to others, particularly a musician who is of an entirely different caliber.

I
Your sheet-music is crumpled.  The score is precious; you must respect it

this was written during a time when musicians had a very thin margin for creativity

Scores were precious in days of old when you had to order them or buy them at the store.  All you have to do now is hit print on your computer.  Print out a fresh one.

I don't think Herr Mozart would agree with tjat

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 05:09:57 PM
That's why we approach it with cat like tread be it animal, vegetable, or mineral

Hardy-har-har. 

I think the more apt quote for many of the contributors here would be "poor, wandering one."
Tim

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 07:05:15 PM
I think the more apt quote for many of the contributors here would be "poor, wandering one."
Surely "poor, wondering one"?
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 09:29:58 PM
First of all, I went back to your video when you first started...what amazing progress you've made.  Given that you were self-taught for a number of years, this is very impressive.

Second, you've chosen a difficult piece.  There is a great deal of repetition, fast finger work and you've set a very high bar for yourself.

This is also a piece I played and what helped me:

.  Don't practice by starting at the beginning.  We get better and better at the beginning of things, and then we run out of mental energy when we hit the tough spots.

.  Mark off the toughest spots, start with those first.  I chunk it down into 4 measure blocks, and then I play:  left hand 5 times perfectly, right hand 5 times perfectly (if I flub, I go back and start again), and then hands together 5 times perfectly.

.  My mind hears this piece at rapid tempo, but I have found that the slower I practice it the faster I learn it.  Take it slow, hit each note "deeply".

.  I practice the tough parts (4 measure chunks) for 15 minutes, then go back and polish 4 measures for 5 minutes, then 15 minutes of the tough chunks and so on.

I am not a teacher, but have been a student for many years.  You're doing GRAND!  Keep on practicing.  Piano is a lifelong endeavor, so enjoy the process!

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 02:06:43 AM
Surely "poor, wondering one"?
I understood it as Tim wrote it - "wandering" - as in "lost and seeking" or perhaps "aimlessness".  Tim?

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:45 AM
I understood it as Tim wrote it - "wandering" - as in "lost and seeking" or perhaps "aimlessness".  Tim?
I am sticking with HMS Pinafore

She copied all the letters so carefully that now she is the ruler of the queen's navee

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Keypeg is the monarch of the sea. We are her sisters and her cousins and her aunts..her sisters and her cousins and her aunts

We are so old. Lol.  The kids here gotta be thinking we're crazy. I have never seen a thread get hijacked by Gilbert and Sullivan.   

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 07:20:07 AM
And the final word(s) for the benefit of you young 'uns? CHORUS. — Stick close to your desks and never go to sea, And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee!
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 01:29:59 PM

Keypeg is the monarch of the sea. We are her sisters and her cousins and her aunts..her sisters and her cousins and her aunts  

Her sisters and her cousins,
though they number by the dozens..............

Impossible not to have an earworm or three at this point in the thread.

Tim

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 01:34:11 PM

I was quoting from childhood memory and did not google it.  I did vacillate briefly between wondering and wandering.  Here is the actual text:

For shame
 For shame
 For shame

Poor wandering one
 Though thou hast surely strayed
 Take heart of grace, thy steps retrace
 Poor wandering one

Poor wandering one
 If such poor love as mine
 Can help thee find true peace of mind
 Why, take it, it is thine

Take heart, no danger lowers
 Take any heart but ours
 Take heart, fair days will shine
 Take any heart, take mine

Take any heart but ours
 Take heart, fair days will shine
 Take any heart, take mine

Poor wandering one
 Though thou hast surely strayed
 Take heart of grace, thy steps retrace
 Poor wandering one

Poor wandering one
 Poor wandering one
 Take heart, take heart

Take any heart but ours
 Take heart, take heart

Take any heart but ours
 Take heart, take heart
 Take any heart but ours

Take heart
Pirates of Penzance, Act 1, Scene 8

Tim

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 03:17:36 PM
And the final word(s) for the benefit of you young 'uns? CHORUS. — Stick close to your desks and never go to sea, And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee!

Do they still use desks? Lol. 

I was quoting from childhood memory and did not google it.  I did vacillate briefly between wondering and wandering.  Here is the actual text:
Pirates of Penzance, Act 1, Scene 8

Aren't we all lol.  My parents had the complete G&S record set. It was always playing on what my dad called "the hi-fi"
and we called the "stereo"
This makes me want to sign up to be in the local theater production of Pirates next year....then again listening to G&S every day for hours of rehearsal has to be damaging to the brain....it has to be.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 04:19:19 PM

This makes me want to sign up to be in the local theater production of Pirates next year....then again listening to G&S every day for hours of rehearsal has to be damaging to the brain....it has to be.

I would LOVE to be in the pit for any of the G&S.  Unfortunately better players have those gigs locked up around here.  The four musicals I have played were due to lucky circumstances unlikely to repeat.  (Guys and Dolls, Our Town, Bye Bye Birdie, and Beauty and the Beast)

My Favorite Dish - FISHHHHHHHHHHH!
Tim

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 09:33:48 AM

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 10:23:45 AM
Quite Zen.  I think that's a good direction to go in.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 11:36:36 PM
Quite Zen.  I think that's a good direction to go in.

keypeg would prefer a thread stay coherent and reasonably aligned with the original theme.  We've come a bit far afield even for us. 

When the foeman bares his steel,
We uncomfortable feel. 
Tim

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 12:35:42 AM
keypeg would prefer a thread stay coherent and reasonably aligned with the original theme. 
I have no preference whatsoever on what anyone chooses to write.  That is the choice of each of us.  When someone asks for help, then I hope we can be helpful if the question is sincere, but again we each have our way of doing that.  But at the moment when I or anyone else gets characterized, that gets toward ridicule, ad hominem, and thus intimidation - that is the moment I withdraw.  I must say I found some things in this thread confusing and got lost both in regards to content and intent.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 01:49:15 AM
We may have left that original topic along the way but I have learned something wonderful out of this thread.

I am not the only G&S fan here at PS. I felt a connection for a moment.

Thank you keypeg and I am sorry.  all it took was one tiny reference to "the queens navee" and I we were off and running.
I really do love HMS Pinafore..it reminds me of my dear old dad. All G&S does. Thanks guys that was priceless.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 08:34:20 AM
dc, no problem whatsoever. :)  That music has special memories for me.  I remember my brother performing in public school in I think a singing role.  He's been part of an orchestra for a couple of decades now, and those were his beginnings.

Offline pianist7s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 09:16:50 AM

Your teacher is clearly an accomplished musician, who has studied for perhaps most of his life.

You are still learning, and so, must accept this; please do this before you go any further.

I will give you some comment on your video, please excuse my obsessions with the details, but believe me when I say it makes a difference; even the minor ones.

Your sheet-music is crumpled.  The score is precious; you must respect it.  Before you play a note, you have to read it, and, if like yours, it is a crumpled mess, your reading will be effected.  This is immediately telling of any student, who does not use the music and so has allowed to get into this condition.

You are not paying any attention to your time.  Are you counting?  It gets a lot easier if you put the notes down at the right time.  If you have to go at a crawl, so be it; at least the foundation will be solid.

There is very little attention to the detail; this is Mozart.  He was all about the details; this was written during a time when musicians had a very thin margin for creativity, and so used every faucet of what they had, because it was limited.  If Brahms used a wide brush and an assortment of colour, by contrast, Mozart had a super thin one with a very limited colour pallet.  Not to say contrast was not there, but it was much more refined and very, very, precise; he did not use dynamics wastfully, his forte was saved for those moments when his music needed it.  Brahms would use forte, and more importantly, gradient, because he could and it was at that point a standard concept.

Think by comparison to the confines of, Super Mario Bros, in comparison to its various remakes (https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2030/1589360805_21e4f009ae.jpg).  Essentially they are the same game, but due to breakthroughs in technology, one has substantially more tools to ‘play with’, resulting in a somewhat different experience.

The problems you have encountered in this piece are because you are not listening to what you are playing; I will say it again, you are not listening, or rather, listening fully.  Forgive my bluntness, but there is so much you are not hearing that needs to be worked on in isolation.  Most importantly is your ability to keep time consistent and constant.

Your weaknesses in left-hand coordination is due to your insufficient knowledge of scales and arpeggios.  This is Viennese classical music; the entire school of thought is built on scales and arpeggios, to neglect them would be a dire mistake on your part.

Do not see this as an attack on you, but a criticism of the music you are making.  You clearly have the spirit and drive, but what is lacking is your discipline and patience; slow yourself down and it will begin to work for you.

Sight-reading is not a separate part of music making; in classical music making, it is the point: "Recreating the music of others with precision by means of sheet-music".  Work on your ability to look at the page, and you will improve dramatically, even by the default: “you actually see what you have to do with it.”

Please post more, I am interested in your progress.

Thanks for advice, I appreciate it. And no I'm not counting. Basically when I want to learn new piece or Movement. I listen to the score or professional pianist a thousand time. I basically rely on my ear rather than the music. I have been told by previous teacher I have good ear but my sight reading isn't strong as my ear. No worries, I like when someone tell me the truth about how I play etc, because I'm trying to get better. And I have goals that I want to achieve, but it's been hard due not having someone professional to lead me in the right direction. When I self taught myself I didn't practice scales and arpeggios, that's my other weakness and really the foundation I need to be better at playing Classical pieces. I like and love Classical music and I'm always challenge myself.

And another bad thing I had use to do is I used this program Midi Sheet Music, it allow me set the sheet music notes to note names, give me ability to play difficult Classical Music I wanted to learn. But since my sight reading wasn't that good that's why I choose that route, because without note name it would had took me 2 weeks to learn the first page. But I have learn the hard way that doing that way isn't improving my sight reading, that I have to find sheet music that's on my sight reading level to see some progress. I must admit learning to sight read isn't easy thing, I have Classical piece that I want to learn to play that are beyond my level and then I go back to my bad habit print the sheet music in note name using that program Midi Sheet Music to learn that piece such as Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement is one example I did for my bad habit.

And when I first started learning the piano I use Youtube for tutorial etc, I wish I did had a teacher because I would have learn all the important things such scales, arpeggios etc. So thank you very much for your feedback and I don't care if it's negative feedback because need to hear that. I would have people tell me that oh you play so good when in reality I'm horrible.

Offline pianist7s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:00 AM

To the OP

I would like to hear the Mozart again after a few months with your new teacher.  It will be far easier for us to answer your question then, especially since you have now given us a baseline for comparison.  When you post the Rondo again it will be quite clear how well you have learned from your new teacher.

I just found out that the teacher can't take me as his student, due because he no longer have time to teach anymore.... so I have to look for another piano teacher. So I will post later of my progress for Mozart Turkish March whenever have a teacher to lead me in the right direction like to better my technique etc, thanks.

Offline pianist7s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 09:36:01 AM
First of all, I went back to your video when you first started...what amazing progress you've made.  Given that you were self-taught for a number of years, this is very impressive.

Second, you've chosen a difficult piece.  There is a great deal of repetition, fast finger work and you've set a very high bar for yourself.

This is also a piece I played and what helped me:

.  Don't practice by starting at the beginning.  We get better and better at the beginning of things, and then we run out of mental energy when we hit the tough spots.

.  Mark off the toughest spots, start with those first.  I chunk it down into 4 measure blocks, and then I play:  left hand 5 times perfectly, right hand 5 times perfectly (if I flub, I go back and start again), and then hands together 5 times perfectly.

.  My mind hears this piece at rapid tempo, but I have found that the slower I practice it the faster I learn it.  Take it slow, hit each note "deeply".

.  I practice the tough parts (4 measure chunks) for 15 minutes, then go back and polish 4 measures for 5 minutes, then 15 minutes of the tough chunks and so on.

I am not a teacher, but have been a student for many years.  You're doing GRAND!  Keep on practicing.  Piano is a lifelong endeavor, so enjoy the process!
Oh yeah I have came long way since that video, it is some progress but I have a long way to go to achieve my goals. I can imagine of how I would had been if only had a good teacher in the beginning. Right now it's kinda struggle because have learn all the piano basic foundation that I have learn in the beginning of learning play the piano when I was self taught. And yes I have chose the difficult piece because those were the one I really wanted to learn. And I don't know if Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement was hard or not but I learn that piece, even though still need improvements.

Thanks for feedback and advice I will keep that in mind.

Offline vaniii

Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 10:33:06 AM
There are merits to your musicianship; all of which can be improved if you work on the weak areas, namely your ability to read evenly and accurately.

Trust me when I say, if you can do that, you will cut your practise time down to minutes to play it, with any longer making it a memory exercise.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 01:59:24 PM

have a teacher to lead me in the right direction like to better my technique etc, thanks.

What do you think might be involved in bettering your technique?  What does that word mean to you personally.  I am asking you this so you will ask your new teacher whomever that may be.  Returning students or older beginners sometimes have preconceived ideas about this.  It's best to discuss this before signing up.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:16 PM
I just found out that the teacher can't take me as his student, due because he no longer have time to teach anymore.... so I have to look for another piano teacher. So I will post later of my progress for Mozart Turkish March whenever have a teacher to lead me in the right direction like to better my technique etc, thanks.

Next time please do consider twice before asking for opinions about your new teacher and his  playing on a public forum. Some teachers might find it a bit offensive if they happened to find out...

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:58 AM
Thank you for the update.

May I suggest: Taking a few steps back to move forward.

I started with Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course, Book 1, and it is basic.  You can then move onto the other more advanced books in this series.

You've done an amazing thing by cobbling together a self-taught program, but inevitably, you'll miss things along the way.  Alfred's will take you step by step through the basics.  It may seem ridiculous at times, but I would like to suggest you take a few months to build a foundation.

Take care.  I'll look forward to updates on your progress.

Offline pianist7s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 04:15:09 PM
Thank you for the update.

May I suggest: Taking a few steps back to move forward.

I started with Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course, Book 1, and it is basic.  You can then move onto the other more advanced books in this series.

You've done an amazing thing by cobbling together a self-taught program, but inevitably, you'll miss things along the way.  Alfred's will take you step by step through the basics.  It may seem ridiculous at times, but I would like to suggest you take a few months to build a foundation.

Take care.  I'll look forward to updates on your progress.
I have that book already and sometimes I practice with that book. This the book you talking about because this is the one I have:https:
//www.amazon.com/Adult-All-One-Course-Lesson-Theory-Technic/dp/0882848186/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0882848186&pd_rd_r=YCJP07WEX7G62762CGCY&pd_rd_w=3LkQc&pd_rd_wg=dnfMI&psc=1&refRID=YCJP07WEX7G62762CGCY or this one: https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0882846167
I know half of my chords too, their some still need to learn but it is great book.  And thanks and I'm going start building that basic foundation for few months.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert