Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Going away... How to practice?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline baseball964

Going away... How to practice?
on: January 24, 2017, 05:37:06 AM
Hey guys,

So I'm a college studying studying a non music major, but I've been playing my whole life. My school is really nice in that students are allowed to take music lessons at the neighboring conservatory, so I've been doing that for a while. My piano teacher says that my level is pretty comparable to early conservatory level pianists.

I recently got the opportunity to work an internship in a whole different state this coming summer, but this means going off on my own, renting a place, and pretty much being independent for the first time 😥. I've been really worried about how I'll be able to keep up my piano skills in the the months that I'm away. I have a competition coming up next year, so I can't afford to take a break.

Anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Is there a way to find practice rooms in the suburbs? Is it worth it and acceptable to practice on a cheap digital?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Going away... How to practice?
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:53:42 AM
A cheap digital is better than nothing and the headphones would spare you from worrying about disturbing your neighbors. Lots of churches in the suburbs have pianos; one of them might let you practice during the week in return for nothing or for a donation of money or labor and odd jobs.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:20 PM
look up the closest local community/junior college, they have open admissions, sign up for 1 30 minute weekly lesson for the summer terms, your tuition and student fees will give you access to their practice rooms facilities.  you can work on something just for fun with the teacher for your class/lessons, i've done that before, most areas have at least 1 of these campuses within a reasonable drive, and some of them have pretty decent instruments and rooms.

you might also look at local music stores that have studios that operate out of them, they sometimes may look at renting/leasing out a room/studio to you for a decent price if they have room, usually the summer terms are slower for those teachers anyways.

Offline baseball964

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:58:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The company is in a very small, rural town, and the nearest community college is about 45 minutes away, so I don't think it'll be practical to do that. I know there is a piano store in the town, so I'm hoping they have rooms.

A cheap digital is better than nothing and the headphones would spare you from worrying about disturbing your neighbors. Lots of churches in the suburbs have pianos; one of them might let you practice during the week in return for nothing or for a donation of money or labor and odd jobs.

Brogers70, if I can't get my hands on an acoustic, are there any digital pianos you recommend? I don't have one so I would have to buy one, and I have a pretty tight budget. I know I will probably need a piano with at least a decent action because I've played on the really cheap pianos, and I know I'd get super annoyed after a few days practice.

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 03:41:48 PM
Other places you might try for a piano to practice:
-   Local community center
-   Local churches --- show up for service and talk to the music director
-   Nursing homes/senior activity center/assisted living centers
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert