Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What are your thoughts on Evgeny Kissin?  (Read 38924 times)

Offline mastert61

• PS Silver Member
Re: What are your thoughts on Evgeny Kissin?
Reply #100 on: April 05, 2005, 04:02:04 PM
My favorite piece is the prok 2nd and he does a great job at a live performance of it like i said.
And yeah I was serious when i said that recording wasn't good.

Now Argerich / Rostropovich live in 1992 3rd prokofiev
that performance raises my hair. Especially the finale

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: April 06, 2005, 07:22:35 AM
Speaking of Prokofiev, I really enjoy his own recording of the PC No. 3. I think it's with a conductor by the name of Coppola, and if I'm not mistaken, he's the father of Francis Ford who directed The Godfather.  8)
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline sirdelrio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:12 AM
Well, i will try to make a comment as polite as possible. Try not to get predisposed if I confess I'm not a fan of Kissin, ok? Obviously, he amazes you. You like his playing. I will never question his technique, it's supperb. But I will try to give some more 'concrete' arguments as to why I think he is not formidable. First, technique is not proof of anything, there are hundreds of 'savants' and autistic boys with remarkable skills in something. I think this is the case with Kissin, have you ever seen an interview, the struggle to build a sentence, the triviality and commonplace of the comments... Ok, let's turn to the music. I based my arguments in videos you can see in youtube, and i cite:

1-first chopin prelude: monotonous, compulsive, repetitive.
2-brahms 1st hung dance: same level of energy through the whole piece, no shadings, no contrast.
3-Paganini-Liszt Etude No.2: no dialectics, tonal confusion, no balance, left hand unheard
4-Chopin Waltz in E Minor: pedaling rudeness, caricaturesque, not flexible, poor acoustic projection, black and white contrast, identic repeats, again left hand obscured, no sense of development or direction, dynamic planes are not coherent rather joint together (piano here, forte there, ritardando here, staccato there).
5-Grand Valse Chopin: an exception. the beggining is very good. but as it progresse the acoustic projection is still poor. also the mid section instead of dramatic and proudly intimate he does unsimpatheticly forte.
6-his dynamics are predictible: starts forte ends piano, or viceversa, both binded with cresc or dim, that's it. pure fingers and virtuosity.
6-Liszt La Campanella: technically perfect. the acoustics improve a bit, but it is a straight plane line. no development, monotonous, no sense of variation. he achieves EVERYTHING either with energy or with technique, do you understand why some say he has no vision: only energy and technique.
7-in ocassions he has depleted his dynamic range to a point that when he has to go louder there's no more sound to get from the piano. that is lack of spiritual restraint, proper of lack of sensibility.
8-if you take technique and shadings for expression, maybe you are not getting the difference between a sketch of a child and a picasso. of course people have to resort to metaphoric adjectives, that's criticism, if you dont see the shallowness, the frivolity, the short sightedness, the lack of scope, the lack of vision, if you think Kissin deserves to be regarded in the same esteem of Sviatoslav Richter, Glenn Gould, Claudio Arrau, Alfred Cortot, Arthur Rubinstein, Vladimir Horowitz, you are seriously deluted or have a very poor experience when listening to classical music. you could say the same about me, but i gave you arguments, have you?

Offline sirdelrio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: December 30, 2010, 03:03:22 AM
why only pick Kissin ALL THE TIME?

Because to some us members of the public he just evidently sucks, and sucks big time. That's why. Because for some of us the rudeness, the mediocrity is patent, compelling. I personally am willing to demostrate to anyone with detailed discussions of his performances, why he is a mediocre interpreter, a brilliant technician, but mediocre when it comes to grasping a piece. I have said to tiresomeness that he is a machine, a savant, a retarded piano-skilled rainman. 

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: December 30, 2010, 03:06:53 AM
This thread is over 5-1/2 years old, so the person whom you address as "you" is probably not here.  The age of the thread suggests that Kissin has in fact not been picked on "all the time."
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: December 30, 2010, 09:15:33 AM
No, I don't think his musicianship is weaker. As I had written before, I rather go for Kissin's music than IVO Pogorelich, Leif Ove Andsnes, or Volodos. Kissin is a lot more passionate and musical than these three pianists in my opinion. People tend to be jealous of kissin.

What is wrong with Kissin’s upbringing? I think some people are trying to create something out of nothing. It’s Lang Lang’s upbringing which should really be criticized. It’s strange that I have never seen anybody writing about Lang Lang’s abnormal upbringing here. It’s always Kissin Kissin and Kissin.

Lang Lang went through hell in his childhood days. His father often beat him like hell when he was not happy with Lang Lang. When Lang Lang failed to gain entry to some music school, his father even told Lang Lang to either do something about his piano or else go and commit suicide. Lang Lang truly had a very abnormal childhood. I had seen a video showing teenager Lang Lang walking on stage looking very dull and walking like an old man. Although I truly dislike Lang Lang, I still think it’s rather cruel to criticize his upbringing. It’s even crueller to wrongly criticize Kissin for nothing.

The cruellest is those shameless music critics always writing a lot of nonsense about some pianists’ playing. This kind of music critics ought to be shot, hehe! 

Pretty funny that you mentioned Lang Lang´s father. I heard a duo with him and his dad his father played the erhu, and I must say that the erhuplaying was a lot more beautiful then the pianoplaying.

When it comes to Kissin I must say that he is a very good pianist but hardly the best in the world or even in the top 10.

Even his technique is sloppy sometimes.

Hamelin, Andsnes, Volodos, Argerich, Lupu, Zimmermann, Pogorelich (20 years ago) etc. are significantly better I think.

Kissin get´s tons of publicity while you rarely hear about amazing pianists like Jonathan Powell and Fredrik Ullén that perform pieces that are a lot more demanding then anything Kissin has played.  :-[

Offline richterfan1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: December 30, 2010, 02:16:11 PM
i was on hes concert in Belgrade he played:

Chopin 4 Ballades
Schumann Fantasy Pieces op.12, and something more

HES AMAZING !!!

Offline music32

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: January 02, 2011, 07:27:56 PM
Some performances are more pleasing than others. Played a memorable Beethoven March.

https://arioso7.wordpress.com/2011/01/02/my-favorite-video-performances-of-beloved-pianists-do-you-have-some-to-share/
Grad NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
New York University (Master of Arts)
https://www.youtube.com/arioso7
Blogging at https://arioso7.wordpress.com

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: January 02, 2011, 10:17:59 PM
-

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: October 28, 2011, 07:40:54 AM
I like the video where he plays scriabin op 43 no 5 at 16 years old. Amazing.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: October 28, 2011, 04:28:27 PM
i think Lola Astanova and Yuja Wang funner to watch, because,

1. they're female, i'm male,
2. they're both hot.

exhibit a

exhibit b
especially around 2:00-2:15 or so

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: October 29, 2011, 12:26:11 PM
I think he was one of the greatest child prodigies ever to grace the piano.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline sehmett

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: March 13, 2013, 11:36:54 AM
Listen to him in France a few years ago (solo recital). He played Liszt and Beethoven. It was remarkable performance!
https://kck.st/160UhzQ
Please help to keep it up!

Offline lonelagranger

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:33 PM
To many notes.  He! He!  I think that was said to Mozart about one of his operas in the movie they made about him.  I love Kissin.  He is certainly capable, and he plays how he plays.  I don't believe in being critical of others playing.  At my age I am just happy to listen and enjoy.  Every artists plays some pieces better than others, but I believe they have reached the state of the art where their very worst playing is still well above what most people can do.  Mustic is to be enjoyed and not chopped up like some luncheon salad.

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: March 15, 2013, 07:33:45 PM
He's better than I am...  8)
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline danhuyle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:44 PM
Kissin great technique, can play through everything he plays in strict time from start to finish, however, the interpretation is all subjective. He's got the ability to interpret a piece any ways he wants.

The video I saw of Kissin playing is Liszt Transcendental Etude No5 is by far his best.

Lang Lang on the other hand, he's not as good as he once was. He was far better on his "Live in Carnegie Hall" DVD.

Perfection itself is imperfection.

Currently practicing
Albeniz Triana
Scriabin Fantaisie Op28
Scriabin All Etudes Op8

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #116 on: March 16, 2013, 04:34:55 AM
I used to be a Kissin fan when I was a boy. I was really astonished by the 12 years old Chopin concerti as the 15 years old Rachmaninoff etudes.

Offline kriatina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #117 on: March 16, 2013, 09:44:57 AM
I have only been to one of his concerts and
his playing is absolutely perfect from a technical point of view,
but emotionally it did not do anything for me...

Maybe I was expecting too much...

Perhaps I should listen to him again...

Kristina.
Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
-Robert Schumann -

Offline cvp1796

• PS Silver Member
Reply #118 on: March 24, 2013, 12:59:32 AM
Technically, Kissin is perfect. On an emotional level, it's a hit-or-miss for me, depending on the piece. While I am fond of his Schubert/Liszt and some of his Chopin, I find most of his Beethoven lacking. Of course, I am still maturing and learning as a pianist myself, so perhaps my opinion of him shall change in the future. I do quite enjoy some of his recordings, though, and he does deserve respect.

Also, why are we suddenly rehashing a thread that is extremely old?

Offline catherinezng

• PS Silver Member
Reply #119 on: May 15, 2013, 04:10:48 PM
I went to one of kissin's concerts lately and I was throughly blown away. I love Kissin's absolute control in producing any sound he wants and listening to him live was beyond any video on youtube.

To answer this question, I love kissin and his playing. Compared to other musicians,he stands out as being one of the most natural. Lang lang is no comparison.

Offline rik_key

• PS Silver Member
Reply #120 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:38 PM
I can not stand Kissin. Another mouth breather. What was he thinking at the 1988 New Years event with Herbert the Nazi. Like the man said compare to just about anyone and anyone wins. Say Arther Ruberstein. Arther is playing in the background No comparison.

New data suggests the mean IQ of a Kissinate is 81.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #121 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:26 AM
New data suggests the mean IQ of a Kissinate is 81.

Still apparently double yours, though, so I wouldn't snark.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline rik_key

• PS Silver Member
Reply #122 on: May 16, 2013, 02:00:56 AM
IQ is not correlated with creativity. Mental illness has a higher omega squared.

Now your comment shows you to be angry. Not is not a good position. If you understood humor, it might go down. Who cares.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #123 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:25 AM
Who cares.

People who can spell Arthur Rubinstein.  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #124 on: May 16, 2013, 02:35:10 AM
People who can spell Arthur Rubinstein.  ::)

If my laughing is evidence that you understand humor then I suspect you are well ahead on all fronts here. Also, your comment shows you to be quietly observant, this is this a good position.

Offline steinway43

Reply #125 on: May 17, 2013, 05:10:31 AM
I like a lot of his recordings but some are definitely better than others. I loved his Brahms cd, his Petrouchka, Medtner Sonata and Scriabin Sonata No. 3, but I seem to remember his Chopin Ballades leaving something to be desired. Yet some of his other Chopin is very nice. I think his Beethoven Concertos are beautiful.

In those times when he becomes a bit less interesting I wonder, is he trying to be the ultimate transparent pianist? Or is he getting bored at times? But like everyone else, I find the same with many artists. Some recordings are great, others so so. I love Martha Argerich's Chopin Preludes but I don't like her Tchaikowsky first concerto. (I still think Cliburn will always be it's best performer).

No one's perfect all the time. Hell, I saw Cliburn play the Grieg A Minor concerto in Houston, at the Miller Outdoor Theater, and I think he was drunk. His nose was all red, he was wobbly and missing notes. He looked a mess. It was sad. At least with Kissin, every time I hear someone talk about a live performance of his they seem to have fully enjoyed it. And maybe that says something, maybe he should just record himself live.

Offline fullofcandies

• PS Silver Member
Reply #126 on: May 21, 2013, 02:49:36 AM
Just started to learn The Lark by Glinka. Saw a video of Kissin playing this piece, Not bad but the video quality was bad and on the background theres someone talking.
Any one has a full video of it by him playing this piece ? Need it for my assignment.
What is a piano, without the player. It's like a soul, without a desire.

Offline beirut27

Reply #127 on: September 19, 2014, 05:55:02 PM
I think being in control of his emotions is a sign that he lacks them. To me Kissin is the anti Lang Lang and it suits me to a T !

I read a very interesting article/review on Kissin where they analysed his lack of success under critics. Eg. When Kissin plays slowly, he's being boring and acting (emphasis on ACTING)mature; When Richter plays slowly, he is considered thoughtful and fresh. When Kissin plays fast it's reckless and void of emotion; Richter's fast playing is met with comments of virtuosity and genius. I personally love Kissin. His Brahms won me over. A comparison between Argerich and Kissin is impossible! Listen to both their early live recordings - Polar opposites!
Kissin's technique is stellar - We need not doubt that.
His temperament is not uncommon - Pletnev is laconic and vague too! It's a personality trait - Get over it!
What we need to realise is that people play things certain ways becaise they feel they need to express themselves in that way! Who are we to judge that? Arrau said that vanity is the worst characteristic in performers. Let them be! I don't agree with everything Pogorelich or Ugorski does but I appreciate the fact that they are saying what they want to say.
And by the way, what on earth does Kissin's marital status got to do with anything?! Whether he is gay, difficult to relate to or just a plain obnoxious guy, that doesnt take away from the fact he is a better pianist than most of us...
I'm assuming I am going to encounter hectic opposition with these comments!
 :'(

Offline dumkagal

Reply #128 on: September 20, 2014, 09:46:36 PM
Helloo-

This be an old post, but I have to say, lissin to Kissin play the Bach-Busoni Chaconne if you want to hear pure raw emotion and formidable power.

Cheerio!
At work on:
Schumann Kinderszenen
Chopin Etude in F Minor B130 #1
Bach Bach and more Bach

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #129 on: October 04, 2014, 01:10:56 PM
I heard Kissin play live in Jerusalem not too many months ago. His Scriabin etudes and Chopin Heroic Polonaise were just brilliant. I thought his level of emotion was high and his performances were captivating. The man is a genius enough said.

Offline superstition2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #130 on: October 05, 2014, 05:37:43 PM
I think he was one of the greatest child prodigies ever to grace the piano.
Perhaps, although is Rachmaninov 2nd concerto (played at 14 I recall) was the most disappointing I've heard.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert