Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Ritmuller  (Read 36094 times)

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Ritmuller
on: March 05, 2005, 03:44:58 PM
Has anyone had experience with these pianos? Are they any good?

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ritmuller
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 11:30:43 PM
I played a 7ft Ritmuller recently. Better than any Yamaha, almost as good as a Seiler, but 1/2 the cost of the Yam, 1/3 the cost of the Seiler. Was also very impressed with Rit's 130cm upright, easily as good as a Yam U3 at 1/3 the cost.

Ritmuller is the hand-built version of Pearl River, also a very worthy and cost effective product.

Offline chickering9

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 12:36:09 AM
I played one out of curiosity in a nearby piano store some time back.  I'm not a big fan of the smaller Yamaha grands which made up the rest of the floor.  I had no clue about the making of the Rittmuller when I sat down.  I was pleased with its tone and the touch seemed about right and pretty uniform.  It was clean, mellow and had a reasonable volume as well for a 6 footer.  Definitely to my ears more "musical" than the smaller Yamahas at twice the price.  When I found it was Chinese made, I was quite surprised.  The fit and finish on it were above criticism.  It's the piano that made me stop and think those other makers had better watch out for those ever improving Chinese.  I've played some other labels of Chinese pianos in that shop since, but none of them were as well balanced as that Rittmuller for tone and power.  The others tended to be a bit too bright for my taste and their tone had a harshness that Rittmuller did not have.  For tone, the Rittmuller reminded me of some of the American pianos of the 20s and 30s.  Clean with a little complexity, but no harshness.  All in all, quite nice.  And great for the price!  (Disclaimer:  I'm not seriously shopping as I'm happy with my concert grand, but as a semi-retired with time on my hands, I just like to go annoy the sales staff at the shops by playing their pianos to see what current production is like.)

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 01:11:10 AM
Ok, I made a good purchase. Just bought a Grand Piano from them! I loved the strong and clear tone, very well balanced. I recommend it.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 03:18:13 PM
Would you mind sharing how much these pianos are going for and where?  I am becoming a Chinese piano convert and would like to learn more about these Ritmullers.

Thanks.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 06:13:40 PM
I own a Ritmuller grand.... and I am very happy with the instrument.  It has a very pure, mellow tone.  It was also very inexpensive..... about 7,000 I think.  I would venture as far as to say it's the best grand you're going to get under $10,000 dollars.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 03:07:45 AM
I own a Ritmuller grand.... and I am very happy with the instrument.  It has a very pure, mellow tone.  It was also very inexpensive..... about 7,000 I think.  I would venture as far as to say it's the best grand you're going to get under $10,000 dollars.

Sounds great.  What size?
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 05:13:54 AM
For an excellent baby grand (4' 7") I bought mine for $6,995. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 04:23:47 AM
It is 5'4 or 5'6..... I'm at college so I can't really check it right now. 

Offline rzheng

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:51:27 PM
I recently bought Ritmuller 5'3'' grand piano, and my friends who play piano came to my house, they all loved the tone! The quality is very good.

Offline hauteurboy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:19 PM
Hi  I own a Rittmuller Baby Grand    .....

Very bright !!!   Top would be fantastic .., for most pianos!   fairly loud for a baby... ;

Strong overall ..,  break a "little"  too noticed .,  finish   a DREAM !!!   Renner Action

And what the  devil might I have expected for (on sale ) ..,  less than $8000     ? ?

I Love It as I havent room for a full grand now....

Regards !!,    Ok

Offline karen88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:41:18 PM
Hi guys: here's the new gal on the block!
Really like reading here, didn't even know the site existed.
As piano teacher in Bay area I was most surprised to find some of these Ritmüllers, what lovely sounding instruments!  Still can't believe they're Chinese made - uh never thought owning one of those. Just out to try several high end pianos, always dreamed owning a German or European piano. Hard to believe how the market must have changed in recent years. There was another make called "Kayserburg" apparently made by same company. I played one of those, think size was 5'10 - wow! I am now seriously reconsidering if I should spend the $$ I had earmarked for my new piano. The new pianos I saw gave me all I was ever looking for. Played some Chopin which sounded nicer than on a friend's 3 years old Steinway, know this sounds crazy! Highly appreciating anybody else having experience with these pianos! Thanks in advance!

Offline keys60

Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 02:34:16 AM
The Ritmullers are designed and developed by some very impressive American piano techs as well as the construction process. Pearl River has made major strides over the past couple of years. As well as other instruments, such as the viol family, the major piano companies better watch their tails.

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 01:35:25 PM

Ritmüller pianos have been designed by Lothar Thomma, Germany's most renowned designer, who has consulted previously with such companies as C. Bechstein, Steingraeber & Sons and Fazioli.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline karen88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 03:37:37 AM
Well, I went back today and played the 6' Rit one more time! Perhaps I'm crazy but really love the piano!! Also played some Bechsteins, Suters [?] and others but just can't justify the price. Please tell me something why I shouldn't buy the Rit, it's a real great piano! This from someone who has a degree in piano performance. By the way, I found out that these pianos are quite different from what they been before being redesigned by that German guy. So last call, please someone tell me why I shouldn't buy it. Piano is under 20 k, ready to take the plunge! H E L P!!

Offline keys60

Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 12:07:15 AM
Thanks for the correction Dan.

Offline pbryld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 03:50:03 PM
Well, I went back today and played the 6' Rit one more time! Perhaps I'm crazy but really love the piano!! Also played some Bechsteins, Suters [?] and others but just can't justify the price. Please tell me something why I shouldn't buy the Rit, it's a real great piano! This from someone who has a degree in piano performance. By the way, I found out that these pianos are quite different from what they been before being redesigned by that German guy. So last call, please someone tell me why I shouldn't buy it. Piano is under 20 k, ready to take the plunge! H E L P!!

Seems like you've already made the decision. Buy it.
General info:
Started playing music in the summer of 2010
Plays on a Bechstein B
Lives in Denmark

Offline peterpianostreet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 12:28:39 AM
I have to add my two cent in here.  I just had the same experience of stumbling onto a Ritmuller while shopping for a Yamaha U3.  I've been shopping around for a while, and was pretty determined to take my time.  But after playing this Ritmuller, I knew I was done shopping. The quality sound, the action, the feel of the true ebony keys, and the price--it's all there!  It's being delivered to my home now.  I agree with the general feedback here.  If it sounds, looks, and feels good--and gives you that woo on that makes you want to play it--Buy It, and Enjoy It!

Offline keys60

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:45 AM
Here's Larry Fines take on the best Chinese Pianos including the Rittmuller, which he gave mostly positive review. Some drawbacks, but hey, 20% the cost of a German or American built? Guess there has to be a compromise in there somewhere.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/fall11/49.html

Offline ccpasowicz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:16 PM
Ok..new to forum.  Just left a store in Chicago area that sells Ritmuller pianos.  I played several.  Before entering store, I knew they were manufactured in China which made me skepical, but then after I played a 5 ft and 5.5 ft. I really loved the warmth and touch.  I opened it up and the craftmanship was very impressive.  Would I buy it?  Yes, if I wanted new and was limited on funds.

Offline anie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 01:49:15 PM
Here's Larry Fines take on the best Chinese Pianos including the Rittmuller, which he gave mostly positive review. Some drawbacks, but hey, 20% the cost of a German or American built? Guess there has to be a compromise in there somewhere.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/fall11/49.html

As has been done before on this topic, I'll add some add'l info years later. :-)
I recently bought a Ritmuller GH-160 and love it.  I read up on it afterward.  There's more on it, with regard to Larry Fine's Pianobuyer Guide:

The smaller Ritmuller GH-148 is a 4' 10" baby grand that's a staff recommendation and receives their "Musical Standout" rating:
   https://www.pianobuyer.com/spring15/45.html

It was reviewed by Larry Fine (after the release of the newly designed models by Luther Thomma) with the help of James Carney (and others for other pianos) for an article on many recent grand pianos UNDER 5' -- and the results are at
   https://www.pianobuyer.com/fall09/w2.html

Carney checked out the Ritmuller and 5 other pianos and Larry Fine quotes him as saying, "I tested the 4' 10" Ritmüller GH-148R, which I found lovely overall. The keyboard and action on this piano, complete with real ebony-wood sharps, was my favorite of all the instruments I played, with a refined feel and excellent controllability. The top three octaves of the GH-148R have a front and rear duplex scale, and the workmanship of the plate finishing, bridges, tuning pins, and stringing resembles that found on much more expensive instruments. The very high quality of the bass tone extended all the way down to note A1, a trait I rarely encounter on pianos of any length..."

And that's the smaller Ritmuller 'Premium' Grand by Thomma.

There's also another review of the 5' 3" model, the GH-160 (the one I bought), this one written by Mary Cushing Smith, a registered PTG member and who was Editor of the Piano Technician Journal.  Reviewing 6 makes, she said this about the Ritmuller:

"My hands-down favorites in this category were the redesigned Ritmüller grands made by Pearl River, available in three sizes: one small (5' 3") and two medium (5' 8", 6' 2") ...
   ...  This arrangement permits the bass bridge to vibrate more freely, among other things giving the bass sound greater clarity. Although this phenomenon was amply demonstrated by all three pianos, it was especially noticeable on the 5' 3" model, which lacked the "muddy" bass often characteristic of small grands. The new Ritmüllers also have solid spruce soundboards and vertically laminated bridges, better-quality features that arguably enhance tonal color.

I liked the sound quality and sustain of all the Ritmüller models. The medium-tension stringing scale avoids the excessive high harmonics and inharmonicity characteristic of the higher-tension scales sometimes found in modern pianos, producing instead a clear, bell-like, uncomplicatedly "European" sound. And these models' light, responsive action makes it easy to attain a great dynamic range from very soft to very loud and full."

When I tried it after almost buying a really good upright (the Kayserburg AR-132, also by Thomma for Ritmuller), which won that unusual 'shootout' a couple of years ago, against upright pianos almost 3 times its cost), it took me about 2 minutes to decide.  Amazing little grand for the price especially (these days).

Hobbyist - intermediate level (SoundCloud)
Enjoy both digital and acoustic pianos

Offline anie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 07:28:41 AM
Adding to my post last night re Ritmuller grands because of the Kayserburg that I mentioned I almost bought before deciding on the Ritmuller GH-160.

The Kayserburg AR-132 upright, 52", is made by the people who make the Ritmuller GH-series grands, all designed by Luthar Thomma and he has full control over the production of the pianos involved.  The Kayserburg AR series (not to be confused with the Kayserburgs sellingin Australia, which are not the AR series but appear to be the UH Ritmullers) is the high-end version of Thomma's line.

There was an interesting 'shootout'-like event a couple of years ago when this piano was pitted against far more expensive European uprights, and the technicians invited and Larry Fine were to guess which was the most expensive  piano of the 4 judging from its sound and performance.

80% chose the Kayserburg, which is about 1/3 the cost of the highest priced upright involved, and the other 20% chose it as second most expensive.  First reported in a forum, and that report is at the RKassman pianos site (Berkeley, Calif.)
   https://www.rkassman.com/r-kassman-pianos-decides-to-test-their-guests-at-a-privately-held-piano-event/

If anyone wants to get an idea of the Kayserberg upright, a friend played some of the pianos at RKassman and I decided to use my cell phone to video some of it and wound up with clips of 10 pianos.  The Kayserberg is #2 on the playlist I made.  Cellphone audio is of course hardly ideal, but it'll give an idea.  The playlist is 
   https://bit.ly/kassmanpianos

It's one of the recommended vertical pianos in the pianobuyer.com staff recommendations section.

I've no affiliation with Kassman but the pianist friend was visiting that day and she wanted to try the pianos she'd heard so much about.  Apologies for all the moving around, as sometimes I wanted to get the name plate since I wouldn't remember otherwise and sometimes I just wanted to get further back, so the sound wouldn't be as compressed.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 11:42:46 AM
Has anyone had experience with these pianos? Are they any good?

I incline toward N.Y. Steinway D, though it can happen that individual specimens of other N.Y. Steinway model grands have enough of, or the right, sound.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline anie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 01:01:44 PM
Am just adding real links here to my two notes above, as I didn't realize that the links I gave were not being hyperlinked and I don't see a way to edit.  Apologies.

======= Portions with links =======
 recently bought a Ritmuller GH-160 and love it.  I read up on it afterward.  There's more on it, with regard to Larry Fine's Pianobuyer Guide:

The smaller Ritmuller GH-148 is a 4' 10" baby grand that's a staff recommendation and receives their "Musical Standout" rating:
   https://www.pianobuyer.com/spring15/45.html

It was reviewed by Larry Fine (after the release of the newly designed models by Luther Thomma) with the help of James Carney (and others for other pianos) for an article on many recent grand pianos UNDER 5' -- and the results are at
   https://www.pianobuyer.com/fall09/w2.html

_____  and re the Kayserburger _____

80% chose the Kayserburg, which is about 1/3 the cost of the highest priced upright involved, and the other 20% chose it as second most expensive.  First reported in a forum, and that report is at the RKassman pianos site (Berkeley, Calif.)
   https://www.rkassman.com/r-kassman-pianos-decides-to-test-their-guests-at-a-privately-held-piano-event/

If anyone wants to get an idea of the Kayserberg upright, a friend played some of the pianos at RKassman and I decided to use my cell phone to video some of it and wound up with clips of 10 pianos.  The Kayserberg is #2 on the playlist I made.  Cellphone audio is of course hardly ideal, but it'll give an idea.  The playlist is 
   https://bit.ly/kassmanpianos

It's one of the recommended vertical pianos in the pianobuyer.com staff recommendations section.

Offline anie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 02:37:14 PM
Wish I could edit a post.  If there's a way and I'm just missing it, let me know.  Thanks.

I neglected to give a link at all to the story in Pianobuyer by Mary Cushing Smith, on Chinese pianos, in which she included a review on the then new Ritmuller GH-160 series grand pianos which she said were her "hands-down favorites of the group, and said of the 5' 3" model that I bought:

" This arrangement permits the bass bridge to vibrate more freely, among other things giving the bass sound greater clarity. Although this phenomenon was amply demonstrated by all three pianos, it was especially noticeable on the 5' 3" model, which lacked the "muddy" bass often characteristic of small grands. The new Ritmüllers also have solid spruce soundboards and vertically laminated bridges, better-quality features that arguably enhance tonal color."

The link is https://www.pianobuyer.com/fall09/w2.html

and the PDF version is at
  https://www.pianobuyer.com/PDFarchive/2009_ChineseGrands.pdf

Offline kayleez

Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 03:45:08 PM
I recently bought Ritmuller 5'3'' grand piano, and my friends who play piano came to my house, they all loved the tone! The quality is very good.

I want to purchase a Ritmuller, either GH148 (4'10'') or GH160 (5'3''), just to help me negotiate with the dealer, would you mind telling me what price did you purchase yours at? Thanks!

Offline kayleez

Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 03:49:13 PM
Hi  I own a Rittmuller Baby Grand    .....

Very bright !!!   Top would be fantastic .., for most pianos!   fairly loud for a baby... ;

Strong overall ..,  break a "little"  too noticed .,  finish   a DREAM !!!   Renner Action

And what the  devil might I have expected for (on sale ) ..,  less than $8000     ? ?

I Love It as I havent room for a full grand now....

Regards !!,    Ok

What is the size or model number? I am thinking about purchasing one, and don't know how to negotiate price. So your information will help me a bunch, thanks!

Offline anie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 02:31:20 AM
What is the size or model number? I am thinking about purchasing one, and don't know how to negotiate price. So your information will help me a bunch, thanks!

The pianobuyer guide gives retail pricing and STREET pricing for all makes and models.  Here's the page for the Ritmuller GH series:
  https://www.pianobuyer.com/spring15/236.html

The 4' 10" is the GH 148R and the 5' 3" is the GH 160R.

My purchase included a trade-in of a Kawai K6 upright but the bottom-line pricing was close to what you see for the Street price (which the dealers will differ on, somewhat).

You could print the page and bring it in as the basis for what you're feeling is fair in some markets.

I do love the GH-160R I bought.  It grows on me, and I was high on it from the start.

Offline kayleez

Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 08:12:38 PM
I finally got a GH160R, love it~

Offline anie

• PS Silver Member
I finally decided to do an audio of the sounds from this piano, but because my cell phone distorts louder sounds in this room, I've kept this noodling of the range of notes to quieter sounds, so it's a bit Zzzzzzzzz to hear. 

There's no song, though that's what I should have done.  It's just testing sounds, without getting too loud for my cellphone.  Will do something normal once I figure out how to mic the piano in that room for both soft and loud sounds.

But if you're interested in the basic piano sound itself, you can get an idea of the tone, the sustain, and some basic clarity I was trying to hear from this 5' 3" baby grand Ritmuller.  The 'video' was done in Windows Movie Maker to put photos of the new piano to fit the audio.

You can also hear, instead, the  maybe slightly clearer mp3 (320K) at
 -- https://bit.ly/ritmuller160mp3

Offline anie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 06:33:13 PM
I should add that -- despite the photos taken with the cell phone when the piano arrived and was setup -- the audio sounds here were done with the piano lid fully down, so the sound is a bit more muffled than it might be, and affects the upper octaves the most.

This was a spur of the moment cell phone audio over the weekend and I forgot that the lid was down.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert