Piano Forum

Topic: Repertoire-Grade Spreadsheet  (Read 32388 times)

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Repertoire-Grade Spreadsheet
on: March 09, 2005, 03:34:03 PM
I know, I know, repetoire grading as a topic has gotten the crap beat out of it on this forum, so read on.

I have spent the last several weeks going through virtually every post I could find in this forum that indicated the grades of pieces of music. (yeah, I know, my employers would be so proud)  I took this data and compiled it into an excel spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet lists the grade, composer, and title.  Along with this, there are also cells for technical comments, i.e. what is the main technical difficulty, etc., and there is a cell for general comments.

I took the liberty of copying the comments that people made about specific pieces when they were providing the grades.  In all honesty, 99.9% of all the comments and data come from Bernhard. (Bernhard, if you have any issues with me copying your comments and putting them in this spreadsheet, please let me know, I'll remove that column from "distribution")

There are approximately 1300 pieces listed.  I make no gaurantees that there aren't duplicates or errors.

Oh, I also included a sheet that has all of the Scarlatti Sonatas listed with both Kirkpatrick and Longo designations.  There is a formula that allows you to enter the K# and it will spit out the L#.  If you don't know how to use the formula, you can always just scroll down and find the reference.

The spread sheet is designed so that you can select by grade, by composer, or by both.  Anyway, it's pretty straight forward.

If anyone is interested in a copy of this spreadsheet let me know.

A couple of items:
First: I make no claims that any of the grading is my own; I just put what was already in this forum into a spreadsheet.  In other words, if you don't agree with the grading of a piece, use your number pad on your keyboard and change the cell, problem fixed. ;)  I believe that Bernhard's source for most of the grading is ABSRM, but you'd have to check with him specifically.

Second: It's a work in process.  It has reached a point where it has enough information and is in a format that I think may be useful to people who want to further customize it to their tastes, or to simply use "as is" as a reference.

Third: If a grade was given as a "+", i.e 7+, 8+, etc., I rounded down and put it as a 7 or 8, etc.  Additionally, if I found conflicts in the grading of pieces, I kept the lower grading.

If you request a copy of this, please let me know what version of Excel you're running so I can save the file accordingly.  I have the latest version and I don't know what its backwards compatability is.

My email is posted in my profile.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Jef
Don't let your music die inside you.

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repetoire-Grade Spreadsheet
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:57:25 PM
If you send me the file (the_tzarr@yahoo.com) I can host it and post a link here for everyone. :)
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 04:14:49 PM
If you send me the file I can host it and post a link here for everyone. :)

Awesome.  I'll get it to you later today.

Jef

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 05:07:02 PM
I love you!!

Whisky and Messiaen

mikeyg

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 05:47:49 PM
That is awesome.  I'll take one.  I have Office 2000 premium.

Thanks ;D

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:20:25 PM
I sent the file to Motrax.  It will be downloadable for everyone as soon as Motrax puts up the link.

Jef

Thanks again, Motrax.

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 10:26:01 PM
My online server space seems to be dead right now... it's been having a lot of trouble lately - I'll try to post it as soon as I can. Sorry for the delay everyone.  :-\
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 11:35:58 PM
My online server space seems to be dead right now... it's been having a lot of trouble lately - I'll try to post it as soon as I can. Sorry for the delay everyone.  :-\

No worries...I've sent the file to everyone above this message.  Hopefully I can keep up!

btw...you're all welcome.  I don't really feel the thanks should come to me though, the amount information provided on this forum by other members is utterly astonishing.

Jef

Offline 00range

• PS Silver Member
Re: Repertoire-Grade Spreadsheet
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 02:36:55 AM
Hey, don't sell yourself short man. Sifting through all those posts alone would be amazing, organizing them all is something else. Looks great!
'Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can *** off.'

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 02:50:09 AM
Uh... me too please ?  Thank you   :-*

m1469@yahoo.com
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline delpetrarca

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 02:58:47 AM
me too me too! thank you so much!!!!!!!

Offline chopinisque

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 07:14:14 AM
Could someone just put it online so that everyone could download it themselves?
Mad about Chopin.

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 02:39:08 PM
Could someone just put it online so that everyone could download it themselves?

Motrax is working on it.  If someone else wants to host it let me know.  I don't have that capability myself. :(

I believe I have sent out the file to everyone above this message.  If I somehow missed someone, let me know.

Jef

Offline Chrysalis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 03:36:45 PM
many many thanks (Y)
Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox!

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 04:53:43 PM
Well, not only is my host server apparently dead all-of-a-sudden, but the internet in my room died as well! (I'm posting from a library) So if someone else could host the file, that'd probably be easier. Apologies for making everyone wait around for me.  :(

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 04:57:02 PM
No problem, I will put it up here on our server as soon as Torp sends me the file.

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 05:30:58 PM
You can now nowload the file from here:

https://pianoforum.net/Graded_Pieces_All.xls

:)

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 05:36:11 PM
Thanks a million Johan.

Jef

Offline Ziggy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 08:24:06 PM
Cool.

I think the Chopin 2nd sonata needs to be a 10 instead of a 7 though.  ;D

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 09:14:45 PM
Cool.

I think the Chopin 2nd sonata needs to be a 10 instead of a 7 though.  ;D

and let the debate wars begin.  ;D

Offline Chrysalis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 09:49:11 PM
and so on and so forth

reverie - 7
schumann arabesque - 7
lied ohne worte 19:1 - 7
142:2 schubert - 7
Mazurka 68:3 is more like 6/7 instead of 4

bla as he said change it yourself :)

hehe but its a nice list thank you very much :)
Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox!

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 11:42:10 PM
I can claim complete ignorance.  Afterall, the grading came from ABSRM via Bernhard.

Uh....yeah....it's his fault....I'm innocent!! ;D

Jef

Offline Steve T

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 02:16:32 AM
 :) ;) :D Thank you very, very, very much. This is sooooooo useful.
Did I say thank you? Thank you  :) ;) :D

Offline goose

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 11:03:59 AM
Thank you, Jef. And I thought I was obsessed with organizing things in Excel! What a great resource.

And thanks, nilsjohan, for making it available.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. - Jack Handey

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 03:00:08 PM
You're all very welcome.  Glad I could give something back.

I wanted to add something:

I had put in a column in the spreadsheet called OrSor, this stands for original sort.  The purpose for this column was so I could always go back to the beginning if I had to.  Additionally, it attempted to serve the purpose of keeping things in order when looking at grouped pieces, i.e. Bach's French and English Suites come to mind.

In retrospect, this column may be superfluous, but I wanted to let you all know why it was there.  I would cause no problems getting rid of it that I can see.

What can I say, my AR nature is showing through. ;D

Jef

Offline ujos3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 06:41:35 PM
Torp:

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ed Marlo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 07:27:32 PM
This is the best use of a Microsoft Office program I've ever seen.  Woo! 

Only thing I can spot is the numberings/namings of some of Beethoven's sonatas.  I always thought Moonlight was 14, Pastorale 15?  Not that it matters in the slightest - great job!

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 08:38:33 PM
This is the best use of a Microsoft Office program I've ever seen.  Woo! 

Only thing I can spot is the numberings/namings of some of Beethoven's sonatas.  I always thought Moonlight was 14, Pastorale 15?  Not that it matters in the slightest - great job!

If I remember correctly on the Beethoven Sonatas, Bernhard had listed them in ascending order of difficulty.  I kept his numbering scheme, that way if you pulled up Grade 6, for example, you would get the Sonatas in ascending order of difficulty for that grade.

In reviewing the spread sheet after reading your post I did find that Sonata "#3" is formatted slightly different than the other Sonatas i.e. is says 3 instead of 03.  This means it will be "Out of order" in the sequence because of the way Excel sorts.

If anyone cares to fix this do the following:
1) Add a zero right before the 3
2) Select all the data in all the fields
3) Go to Data-Sort and sort by Composer (Ascending), Composition (Ascending), and OrSor (Ascending)

The above should "fix" the problem.  Man, that takes about a nanosecond to do and forever to write it out. :P

Jef

Offline beethoartok

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 13, 2005, 07:12:40 PM
Is there anyway possible for me to view thisw spreadsheet without Excel? All I have is Microsoft works, and it isn't compatible  :'(

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 13, 2005, 09:14:44 PM
Allow me to join the legions of posters who have thanked you for this Herculean effort.

Simply amazing!

Thanks again,

George
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Offline marialice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 07:35:02 AM
Great work, thank you so much!

Is there anyway possible for me to view thisw spreadsheet without Excel? All I have is Microsoft works, and it isn't compatible  :'(
There is an Excel viewer you can download from Microsoft. Just take a look here: https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=9 .

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 07:39:05 AM
Try openoffice.org

Freeware word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, can save things as Microsoft Office files, so you can edit (which you can't do if you just use a freeware Excel viewer)

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 14, 2005, 04:25:17 PM
Torp,

Thanks for all the hard work. This is a very valuable and useful spreadsheet.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 14, 2005, 10:41:01 PM

I can/have converted it to a Word file if that would help.  It certainly isn't as user friendly as in Excel, but at least you'd have it.

Send me an email, if this will help.

To everyone, again, you're welcome.  I'm glad I could provide something useful.

Jef

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 15, 2005, 01:52:07 PM
thanks for the spreadsheet for sure. I do have a question though. The gymnopecies are label level 6 or something (if I remember correctly). Is this technically or musically. To me this piece sounds, looks, and so far is extremely easy.

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 15, 2005, 02:49:13 PM
thanks for the spreadsheet for sure. I do have a question though. The gymnopecies are label level 6 or something (if I remember correctly). Is this technically or musically. To me this piece sounds, looks, and so far is extremely easy.

You'd have to ask Berhard for sure, or possibly a search on the forum would lead you to the answer.  However, if my memory serves me, it's rated more difficult for musical rather than technical reasons.

I think the spread sheet is only a compilation of someone's ideas about a piece.  If you find the piece to be easier than indicated, change the grade to whatever you believe it should be.  This was designed as a tool and a reference to be used individually, not as "THE" reference for grades.  Once everyone starts using the spreadsheet for themselves, we may all end up with very different, very personal grades, as all the heated threads dealing with grades on this forum would suggest. ;D

Jef

Offline ujos3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 04:20:33 PM
I think the spread sheet is only a compilation of someone's ideas about a piece.  If you find the piece to be easier than indicated, change the grade to whatever you believe it should be.  This was designed as a tool and a reference to be used individually, not as "THE" reference for grades.  Once everyone starts using the spreadsheet for themselves, we may all end up with very different, very personal grades, as all the heated threads dealing with grades on this forum would suggest.

Anyway, technically and musically I think all the Beethoven Sonatas placed in Grade 7
(Pathetique, Pastorale and so forth) should be at least in Grade 8 or 9...

I can't imagine someone levelled on Grade 7 playing the Pathetique...!!!

And the Spreadsheet you posted is so useful that it will be taken as a reference by many people here. May be we should agree in a future version 2.0 with some changes...Thanks again

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 11:25:16 PM

You'd have to ask Berhard for sure, or possibly a search on the forum would lead you to the answer.  However, if my memory serves me, it's rated more difficult for musical rather than technical reasons.

I think the spread sheet is only a compilation of someone's ideas about a piece.  If you find the piece to be easier than indicated, change the grade to whatever you believe it should be.  This was designed as a tool and a reference to be used individually, not as "THE" reference for grades.  Once everyone starts using the spreadsheet for themselves, we may all end up with very different, very personal grades, as all the heated threads dealing with grades on this forum would suggest. ;D

Jef
the reason why I ask is that I have to play the first one at school and don't know grades really at all. I have always been curious what grade I actually am.

boliver

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: August 17, 2005, 06:46:26 PM
bump

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: August 20, 2005, 03:08:24 AM
Thanks for the bump, Boliver...if you hadn't done that I might have missed this.

THANKS, Torp.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: August 20, 2005, 12:21:17 PM
your welcome

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: August 08, 2006, 01:55:57 AM
I miss Torp  :'(
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: August 10, 2006, 10:23:55 AM
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: August 13, 2006, 02:45:43 PM

Offline kitty on the keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 03:30:36 PM
Jef----Thank you for your work!!!! i would also like a copy. I have windows XP.

thank you!!!

kitty

Kitty on the Keys
James Lee

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 04:42:39 PM
Please check reply #22.  :)

Offline sophia92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: December 13, 2006, 05:22:59 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOO!!

ME 222222222    ;)

THX a lot

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: December 21, 2006, 03:22:20 PM
See reply #22 of this same thread.
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: August 30, 2007, 08:11:21 AM
Thankyou everyone who helped make the spreadsheet and host it.

It is great to know that I have been playing things at about grade 6-7-8. And here's me about to do my grade 4 exams.
h lp! S m b dy  st l   ll th  v w ls  fr m  my  k y b  rd!

I am an imagine of your figmentation.

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 02:10:28 PM

If anyone is interested in a copy of this spreadsheet let me know.

1 copy here please  :D

My computer runs Excel2003

Thanks
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert