Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin - Ballade No. 4 in f minor  (Read 4308 times)

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Ballade No. 4 in f minor
on: April 17, 2005, 08:42:54 PM
I am looking for programme notes about this work. I know that it is based on a poem by the same poet who wrote Pan Tadeusz (the basis of the G minor Ballade) - whose name I cannot seem to recall at the moment. Anyone have any other piquant cacts?

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Ballade No. 4 in f minor
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 02:55:28 AM
Look in the Cortot Edition. A wonderful description there. And if you don't have it, I suppose I could check it out from the library and type it up.

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 03:16:19 AM
according to R.Schumann,who reports it as first hand knowledge from the mouth of Chopin himself ,the Ballads were inspired by a reading poems of Adam Mickiewicz
4th Ballade  "The three budrys" (Lituanian Ballade)
The three budrys of the three brothers are sent away bz their father,to far distant land,in search of priceless treasures.Autumn asses,then winter.
The father thinks that his sons have perished at war.
Amidst whirling snow storms.each one,however,manage to return;but one and all bring back but a single trophy from their odyssey - a bride.

From Cortot Salabert edition
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline Bacfokievrahms

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 06:46:29 AM
Could somebody please type up the notes on the ballade in g minor?

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 07:12:50 AM
type the notes on the ballade g minor??
its start with C in both hand and then come to Eb  ;D
ok
1st Ballade "Conrad Wallenrod"
The prose ballade which was the source of inspiration of this composition,is the last episode of the fourth part of Conrad Wallenrod,a historical legend take from the chronicles of Lituania and Prussia in 1828. In this episode Wallenrod,coming out from a banquet,elated with drink speaks warmly of an exploit in which the Moors took vengeance on their oppressors,the Spaniards,by infecting them in the course of hypocritical effusions,with the plague leprosy and the most ghastly diseases,which they themselves had voluntarily contracted beforehand.To the stupefaction and horrow of his fellow-guests.Wallenrod gives it to be understood that he,the Pole,could also,if he would,breathe death upon his adversaries in a similar fatal embrace.
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline Bacfokievrahms

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:03:13 AM
:-p that would've been cool if you typed up every singled musical note in the ballade.

Ah that's such an interesting story about the ballade itself. God I wish I could play it because I have a really cool interpretation that I'd love to be able to play now. Something that makes the romantic sections of the ballade and the fast giddy section seem perversely psychotic and makes the introduction and first theme sound as if it's edging toward madness.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert