Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethovens Moonlight ops 27 No 3  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Yoad

• PS Silver Member
Beethovens Moonlight ops 27 No 3
on: May 11, 2003, 07:13:00 PM
can anybody give my some advice for the 3rd movement of Beethovens moonlight sonata?
"If anybody was Mr. Jazz it was Louis Armstrong. He was the epitome of jazz and always will be. He is what I call an American standard, an American original."

-- Duke Ellington

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethovens Moonlight ops 27 No 3
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 08:55:55 PM
This movement is a real finger-bender. Just get some good fingering that will work at a fast tempo, get out your metronome, and work it slowly until you get it. Not the most fun thing in the world, but it really does work!

Good luck,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline Chiyo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 03:38:14 AM

Warming up with Hanon always helps (for me at least).

No. 41 is arpeggio stuff, which might help for Moonlight sonata.

(I play from 1~39 once through before I start practicing, which takes about an hour.)
I love Chopin!

Offline PoSeiDoN

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 07:27:00 AM
Yep, Sarah's got it.  Learning it slow and steady will do you good.  (Then, you can make it hellaciously fast).   ;D

Try to make it flow as much as humanly possible.  As much as I like Rudolf Serkin, his Moonlight 3rd mvmt sounds extremely choppy and agitato, almost too much so.

Make it quick, but smooth.  Good luck!

Offline Yoad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 09:45:28 PM
All right, thatnk you for your suggestions! Ill do my best do do as they say.
"If anybody was Mr. Jazz it was Louis Armstrong. He was the epitome of jazz and always will be. He is what I call an American standard, an American original."

-- Duke Ellington

Offline hotlilgal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 07:23:11 AM
hey cool!
im playing that too and iv been learning it 4 about a month and iv got it pretty fluent now.
its pretty hard in bar 9 a? where u hav 2 get the right accents & everything. the octave trills also need a lot of practise (4 me ne way)
good luck with it
Sarah
It is not the human monster that I fear- it is the human donkey.

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 10:17:41 PM
I love this piece!! I played  it for several competitions 2 years ago.  I also had a masterclass with it.  The main pointer was PRACTICE SLOW!!  It gets sloppy real easily, so make sure u keep it clean.  Good luck!!

Offline chopiszte

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 01:51:46 AM
I have heard Yoad play it, he holds the pedal incessantly and tries to play it faster than he can, thus making it sound like a blur of random notes.

Yoad you need to practice the whole thing ridiculously slow and without the pedal.

Offline ThEmUsIcMaNBJ

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 08:38:05 AM
Yeah I can see how that wouldn't be fun to hear.  I'm currently learning this movement too.  I got it learned pretty well now SLOWLY I've been VERY careful about VERY gradually speeding it up.  And I can FINALLY say that it's getting there!  I have another friend who has practiced it half as much plays it way faster then he can and with WAY too much pedal.  It's so gross I can't even stand it.  And he always critiques me on playing it too slowly!  haha I guess it's kind of funny when you think about it.  When I actually get it learned well I can laugh in his face so it's all good!  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert