Piano Forum logo
February 19, 2017, 02:18:14 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Audiovisual Study Tool (AST) Updated

In a significant improvement of Piano Street’s Audiovisual Study Tool (AST), Naxos Music Library is now fully integrated allowing users to conveniently stream recordings without logging in separately to a Naxos Music Library account. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beethoven, Moonlight, Pathetique, Appassionata.  (Read 1546 times)
C#minor

« on: April 26, 2005, 03:41:16 PM »

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have been a long time reader to this awesome forum.
This time I have a question.
Which pianist you think played this work "Beethoven, Moonlight, Pathetique, Appassionata" the best in your opinion?
There is one by Brendel, another one by Kempff, both are pretty famous, but I would like to hear what do you think about their performances.

Thanks a lot.

Best.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Sonata 14 (Moonlight)

piano sheet music of Sonata 8 (Pathétique)

piano sheet music of Sonata 23 (Appassionata)
Hmoll

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 04:54:47 PM »

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have been a long time reader to this awesome forum.
Which pianist you think played this work "Beethoven, Moonlight, Pathetique, Appassionata" the best in your opinion?
There is one by Brendel, another one by Kempff, both are pretty famous, but I would like to hear what do you think about their performances.

Thanks a lot.

Best.

No such thing as the best. Lots and lots of pianists recorded these pieces. There are hundreds of recording of them. Do some listening. It depends on your personal taste.

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger
C#minor

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 05:09:43 PM »

Hmoll,
    Thanks. I am fully aware there is no such thing as the best, that's why I put "in your opinion".  There could be some objectivity in the describing the quality of the recording. How about hearing some opinions about the soloist's interpretation?...etc.
I am also aware there are hundreds of CDs for these works, hence my question as I don't know where to start Smiley
So, if I am allowed to rephrase my question, it would be "What is your favorite recording for these works?".

Best.
steinwayguy
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:14:29 AM »

I'll stick with Kempff for the Moonlight, Schnabel for the Pathetique and Richter for the Appassionata.
Alde
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »

Vladimir Horowitz's recording is my favourite.  You never know what to expect when you listen to his recordings.  I had only wished that he recorded more Beethoven.  I know that he also recorded Op.10 No.3 and Op.101.
Hmoll

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 03:59:42 PM »

Hmoll,
    Thanks. I am fully aware there is no such thing as the best, that's why I put "in your opinion".  There could be some objectivity in the describing the quality of the recording. How about hearing some opinions about the soloist's interpretation?...etc.
I am also aware there are hundreds of CDs for these works, hence my question as I don't know where to start Smiley
So, if I am allowed to rephrase my question, it would be "What is your favorite recording for these works?".

Best.

My advice still stands: do some listening. That's where to begin. I don't have a favorite recording because the pieces are very different, and I tend to like different players for different Beethoven sonatas.

BTW, "best" and "favorite" are two different things. Something can be my favorite without me thinking it's the best. Also, if I say something's the "best," it's a given that I'm simply stating my opinion.

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger
aquariuswb

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 04:50:08 AM »

Moonlight - Kempff (mono or stereo), Casadesus, Rubinstein
Pathetique - Kempff, Pollini, Hungerford
Appassionata - Richter, Richter, Richter, Gilels, Gieseking, Solomon <~~~~ Richter's the best for the sonata as a whole, but Solomon is a close second for me and must be heard, IF ONLY for his presto at the end of the final movement -- fast, furious, flawless, hits every single note with such clarity and precision, it's really one of the highlights of my entire piano music collection!

Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.
allthumbs
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 08:37:16 AM »

Greetings

Thanks a lot.

Best.

I made a suggestion on a similar thread a little while ago.

http://www.pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,8330.msg84312.html#msg84312

Cheers Smiley

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: