Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Need help with Chopin's Scherzo  (Read 3494 times)

Offline yoshiki

• PS Silver Member
Need help with Chopin's Scherzo
on: May 28, 2005, 11:51:07 AM
Hi, I can now play Chopin Scherzo no.2 in B flat minor alright. I would like to start the second Scherzo. I am thinking of Scherzo no.1. Can anyone here played this piece and give me some advice? Thanx

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Need help with Chopin's Scherzo
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 04:45:17 PM
Scherzo No.1 is quite different from No.2.  The Fast sections require lots of thought as to the fingerings you use, as this will be a major factor in how comfortable the piece feels at performance level. 

If you play the Fantasie Impromptu it has rather straight foreward figurations that mostly fit under the hand.  The 1st Scherzo however requires many more contortions of the hand in the figurations.  There are also many jumps to be made.  Some parts of it are easy to play fast and others not so because of the complex figurations.  On the brighter side, the piece is not nearly as long as it looks because mostly all repetitions are written out in full.  Learning the notes and memorizing may not prove than much of a hasstle. 

All that said, it is a good challenge and rewarding to play.  It also is quite thrilling to anyone listening to it. 

Favourite recordings of it:
Demidenko (complete Scherzos disc)
Tryon (complete Ballades and Scherzos disc)

I learned this piece at 16, I first performed it in public at 23.  I put the piece through several revisions because I never was really satisfied with how I played it.  Please don't let me scare you away from the piece, it does take a lot of work but it is well worth the effort. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert