Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Humphries' "Piano Handbook"  (Read 3236 times)

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Humphries' "Piano Handbook"
on: May 10, 2004, 07:51:35 AM
anybody have experience with this book, or Larry Steelman's "Music Reading for the Keyboard: The Complete Method." how are they?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Humphries' "Piano Handbook"
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 01:41:41 PM
I don't know Humphries.

Steelman's is all right, but nothing to be very excited about. As with most sight-reading books, it does not tell you very much and consists mostly of several pieces/passages in progressive order of difficulty. It will no tdo any harm, but why not get one of the several anthologies of piano music and sight read through those instead?

As I mentioned a number of times, the really good book on sight-reading (the best I've seen so far) is Howard Richman's "Super sightreading secrets" (Soundwise)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 01:55:40 PM
By the way, Stellman's book is pop oriented. All the examples are from R&B, Jazz, Rock and so on.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 09:21:01 PM
yeah I have richman, and I'm just waiting for my digital piano that I ordered to arrive. guess richman is all I need, but he does encourage you to count out the rhythm as you play some beginner pieces making sure to keep on perfect rhythm before you advance to the next part of his book.

Offline joeltr888

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 04:44:56 AM
I have the Humphries book and it's really quite nice. He covers just about everything one can cover in an intro book... it's perfect for beginning adults I'd say, because he goes straight for the good material instead of playing around with kid's tunes like the Alfred's I have. Some of the material is a little thin but that's no problem in a book with this much info. The spiral/hardback binding is also extremely convenient.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert