Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Which sonata to choose, Mozart K.330 or Beethoven Op.90  (Read 7209 times)

Offline kghayesh

• PS Silver Member
Which sonata to choose, Mozart K.330 or Beethoven Op.90
on: February 03, 2006, 12:04:37 PM
I am doing Grade 8 ABRSM next June and i am still confused between what piece to choose from list B. I am confused between the Mozart K.330 in C and the Beethoven Op.90 in E minor.

Note that here i am not choosing on the basis of which is more difficult. I want to choose the one that will be a good addition to my repertoire. That, is i plan of not learning the first movement only for the exam. I am planning to learn the whole thing. So, it is a question of which sonata is more beneficial as an addition to my repertoire.

My repertoire already includes a Mozart sonata and a Beethoven sonata. The K.545 and the Pathetique ( all 3 movements ). So, do u think i should learn a harder Mozart sonata (K.330) or another Beethoven sonata so that my repertoire includes 2 beethoven sonatas ??

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which sonata to choose, Mozart K.330 or Beethoven Op.90
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 02:59:31 PM

Id do Op90 ANY day of the week. This is cool little movement, much more interesting than K330 imo.

But its also harder (again, imo). So I guess it comes down to which you think you can do the best job of?

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 04:19:25 PM
Which one do you WANT to play?

Offline kghayesh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 09:07:35 PM
Which one do you WANT to play?

I doesn't matter for me, but i prefer the music of the Mozart more. I feel it is more emotional. I think the Beethoven is very dark and subtle.

I WANT to play the one that will be more beneficial to my repertoire

Offline xamy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 10:41:19 PM
Hi there! I'm doing grade 8 too, but I have to say, your level seems to be beyond grade 8. I mean, two whole sonatas in you repertoire already. I'm going for the Mozart myself, and I have to say it is a lot harder than it looks. The Beethoven has one hard passage where the left hand has to stretch intervals of about a 10th. The Mozart has some hard trills which are really bugging me, and of course the touch is vital. The texture is also much lighter making every mistake stick out. With Beethoven I think you have more room to play with.

But I think you are good enough to master both of them very comftably.

On the same topic :https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,15693.0.html

Offline jamie_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 01:13:49 AM
I hate this, i hate when people post saying, what piece should i choose, this one or this one. Don't Let other people choose for you, everyone is going to choose differently, you choose which ever one you want to play.

I like the beethoven one though.

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 04:01:58 AM
go for ze moz!
<3 that sonata anyway, fun piece.
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 04:46:23 AM
I doesn't matter for me, but i prefer the music of the Mozart more. I feel it is more emotional. I think the Beethoven is very dark and subtle.

Then there's your answer, play the Mozart.  Like jamie-liszt said, YOU decide.

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 04:49:06 AM
What's your LH span?

Offline kghayesh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 12:11:03 PM
Guys, you don't seem to understand me.
I am not saying you choose for me. I am asking What will be more beneficial to my repertoire ?? And i mean the whole sonata not just the first movement

And please don't talk about difficulty.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 12:48:48 PM
I am not saying you choose for me. I am asking What will be more beneficial to my repertoire ?? And i mean the whole sonata not just the first movement

I do understand you.  But you already have a Mozart and a Beethoven, so I don't think it really matters. 

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 12:57:57 PM

Pick Beethoven.  (And I adore Mozart!)  Not considering difficulty at all, but considering repertoire.  The Beethoven Sonatas are pretty much the quintessential sonata cycle, and represent the best of Beethoven's output--Mozart's piano sonatas are wonderful, but not his tip-top work.  His 27 piano concertos are what defined that genre. 

So...Do the Beethoven, and save your next foray into Mozart for one of his concertos.  This is perhaps better use of your efforts in building your repertoire.

Have fun! :)
Teresa

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 11:42:57 PM
beethoven= exciting (i regret not playing this, i played mozart)
mozart = boring...
lol
My opinion anyway.
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 11:59:18 PM
for technical profit of 2 sonatas from your choice
i would go with mozart K330
i think it helps you more with the scale and apeggio that has to be really regular
some of lh apeggi in 3rd movement
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 02:50:19 AM
I'm in love with Mozart so I think you should go with that one :)
"True friends stab you in the front."      -Oscar Wilde

Offline letters

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 07:32:46 PM
i personally chose mozart for my grade 8 because i couldn't stretch 10ths in my left hand for the beethoven. I actually prefered the mozart anyway, not sure why but yeah. The trills on the last page are tricky but u have to practice slowly and then speed up.
beethoven is probably more exciting but seeing as you have a sonata of each im not really sure, i think im going to learn the rest of the mozart sonata too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 08:32:14 PM
i personally chose mozart for my grade 8 because i couldn't stretch 10ths in my left hand for the beethoven. I actually prefered the mozart anyway, not sure why but yeah. The trills on the last page are tricky but u have to practice slowly and then speed up.
beethoven is probably more exciting but seeing as you have a sonata of each im not really sure, i think im going to learn the rest of the mozart sonata too.
it gets quite difficult in teh third movement... as do all sonatas... be warned!!!
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline kd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 09:31:21 PM
I wouldn't say the 3rd mvt is more difficult than the 1st... there are some triplet arpeggios and a few tricky trills, but I can't really see anything that would make this movement much harder technically than the 1st; unlike many other Mozart sonatas it isn't supposed to be very fast after all.

Offline letters

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 06:57:10 PM
it gets quite difficult in teh third movement... as do all sonatas... be warned!!!
Tom

heh cheers for the warning! i shall have a look sometime
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline turner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 04:56:08 AM
I see benefits in choosing either one of them.

Beethoven's E Minor: Yes, there's that 10th stretch problem in the 2nd theme of the 1st movement, but it's a broken chord. So if you have a good wrist rotation (i.e. using your middle finger almost like a pivot), you can still play it even if your hand can't stretch that wide. For the 2nd movement, the right hand has a lot of voicing work--the outer fingers need to be able to sing and sustain the melodies.

Mozart's K 330: Don't underestimate this little gem. It's too easy to overshadow M.'s Sonatas by his Piano Concertos, which, I'll admit, are awesome masterpieces. But it takes a great deal of skills to bring out all the subtleties in K 330--things change so fast in this Sonata. You need really good articulation and good fingers to do justice all the ornaments. You also need a superb sense of rhythm.

Either one will make you a better musician!

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 05:41:23 PM
haydn

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 08:12:10 PM
easy solution: pick both.

2 great additions to any rep.   Both are relatively short sonatas.

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 06:08:34 AM
easy solution: pick both.

2 great additions to any rep.   Both are relatively short sonatas.

I second that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert