Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Video: Schumann Kreisleriana 1  (Read 4146 times)

Offline failed

Video: Schumann Kreisleriana 1
on: May 03, 2006, 07:18:26 PM
I recorded the first piece of Schumanns Kreisleriana op.16  today.
Maybe you can say something about it.

here's the link:

...yes, i know. - there are some wrong notes ;)

second piece comes soon..

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Re: Video: Schumann Kreisleriana 1
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 08:30:14 PM
Wooo! Nice work! Yes, there are some wrong notes, and it's a little mushy in spots, but overall I love where you're going with this piece. :) Great tempo, and you totally have the spirit of the work down, haha. Love it. :D

Looking forward to hearing more! :)

[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline failed

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:50:56 PM
Thanks! Makes me happy to hear such compliments ;)

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:57:07 PM
i'm a freak of schumann and i really liked it
excellent job.

Offline lava

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 05:48:15 AM
Great job! I liked it. I know many recordings of the Kreisleriana and I think you have put your own unique interpretation to it.

As a constructive critique, maybe you still could improve a few little things:

- play a bit faster. 

- the pedalling is not clean at the end of some passages. I think i heared different chords sound together or maybe it's the sound quality of the video.

- try to get the syncopated bass more pronounced.

Piano Society has good information about the Kreisleriana:
https://www.pianosociety.com/index.php?id=57

Can you play the other parts nrs 2 - 8? If so, please post them!

Lava.

Offline failed

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 02:41:24 PM
Thank you for the information/critic.

I will record it again when i have some time left..and maybe i'll buy a new mic. I don't like the sound of this recording. In natural it sounds more interesting and clearer.

I can play some other parts: 2, 4,7 .. but i've not finished the whole..

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 07:54:00 AM
very good, solid technically, just needs work to give it more colour , spice, and life....looking forward to hearing more  :)

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 08:04:40 AM
a bit blurry, i advise less pedal to bring out the singing quality of this piece. Im not sure about playing it faster, as i think your current speed gives a very good impression. Try to make the piano sing, not talk like an angry chinese salesman (ok bad comparison, but you know)

else, very good technically, great job :)
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline failed

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 12:04:49 PM
thanks,
i think i would critisize the same things as you when i hear (and see) the video ;)
the piano part sounds very boring on it..

but when i play it i really don't know what i should improve. only the wrong notes..

in my eyes it has much colour and a singing character.. you have to imagine i play it on a wonderful steinway. :) i did and it was fantastic..

now don't think i am arrogant ;)

nevertheless i will record it again with a better mic ( i hope)!

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 05:07:01 AM
thanks,
i think i would critisize the same things as you when i hear (and see) the video ;)
the piano part sounds very boring on it..

but when i play it i really don't know what i should improve. only the wrong notes..

in my eyes it has much colour and a singing character.. you have to imagine i play it on a wonderful steinway. :) i did and it was fantastic..

now don't think i am arrogant ;)

nevertheless i will record it again with a better mic ( i hope)!

Nice job, although I did not like it at all.  Before I give you some ideas I should disclose I think such a superb artist as Martha Argerich doesn't play this piece the way I like it, so you are in good company.

Your pedaling does not follow either the melody nor the harmony, hence the blurryness.

it may be the piano, or the recording, but I find the touch percussive and monochromatic.  One way to expand your color palette is to pratice at various attack speeds.  Note I am not talking about a slower tempo, but just depressing the keys slower (and therefore earlier).  Also vary the part of the finger involved in touching the key, and how the weight of the arm either floats or gets poured onto the keyboard.  If you don't like Arrau, this probably makes no sense for you, but that's the way I explore these things.

I find no sense in the long pause between the A and the B sections.  if you have read no E.T.A. Hoffman, please do.

Keep loving the piano and ignore what gets in your way to enjoy what you are doing.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert