Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: My Recital- Ravel  (Read 4792 times)

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
My Recital- Ravel
on: May 13, 2006, 08:39:06 PM
Hi all,
I posted video files yesterday, and today I decided I would post audio just in case if people had slow internet connections.  As mentioned in the other thread, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Here are two pieces from the Miroirs:
La Vallee des cloches
Alboarda del Gracioso

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: My Recital- Ravel
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:23:17 AM
personally, i don't think ravel, chopin, and liszt are your forte yet.  but, they well could be later.  too many notes sticking out and not a 'whole' feel.  it's like a multitude of notes walking around by themselves.  sort of like nyc.  you have to have some notes shaking hands and interacting more.

very difficult pieces. 

the bass on that piano is too 'flimsy,' imo.  the 'tenor' voice in that last piece in ravel should stand out with good voicing on the piano - and it doesn't really have that kind of a sound.  the treble has a ragtime sound. 

maybe i'm way off - but, i'd pick a piano two steps up in terms of key pressure.  there is no brightness to the tenor voice that ravel is bringing out in the second piece.  he is contrasting it with the treble and the bass.  on this piano, all three sound the same.

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Re: My Recital- Ravel
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:26:55 PM
Aside from the technical comments pianistimo gave, you should also consider musicality. Alborada del Gracioso = Morning song of the Jester. Your tone is too harsh for this music, and there's nothing light-hearted about your interpretation. Ravel is classical at heart, not Romantic like Debussey, and it's especially clear in the Alborada that if you play with too much severity and sudden surges of emotion you'll just cloud the music.

Also, I know that the Alborada is one of the hardest pieces in the solo piano repertoire, but you can't use it as a frenzied show piece. You need to make it as light as possible, and any virtuosity required should be played as if it were no difficulty at all--obviously that's not always possible, but if you can make the right mental state the music will benefit.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert