Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What piano do you play on?  (Read 10515 times)

Offline sinspawnammes

• PS Silver Member
What piano do you play on?
on: June 22, 2006, 01:55:05 PM
I imagine most people will say uprights, but I think there's a correlation between madd skillz and the piano's quality.

I am, however, proud to say that I learned my gangsta repertoire (Pathetique, Bm Scherzo,  Partita #3, etc.) on a $400 dollar keyboard with 76 unweighted keys, XD.  Sux to be poor.

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Re: What piano do you play on?
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:06:54 PM
Fazioli 228, my god it's beautiful :)
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:22:07 PM
Steinway L

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 03:25:50 PM

Mine is a wreck. I'll post a pic in a bit. But I bet I have the worst piano on this forum, hands down!

SJ

Offline avetma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 03:35:11 PM
here is mine (attach) - Ritmuller UP118

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:04:46 PM
I imagine most people will say uprights, but I think there's a correlation between madd skillz and the piano's quality.

I am, however, proud to say that I learned my gangsta repertoire (Pathetique, Bm Scherzo,  Partita #3, etc.) on a $400 dollar keyboard with 76 unweighted keys, XD.  Sux to be poor.

But can you play these pieces on a real piano? Otherwise, it's actually easier on an unwieghted keyboard.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline ivoryplayer_amf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 10:33:14 PM
1890 something steinway world fair

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 10:36:05 PM
During term time, my practice time is split between my digital piano which is in my room (Yamaha CLP-270), a Yamaha U1 upright, and a Grotrian-Steinweg 7' grand. The grand, incidentally, is the least pleasurable to play on due to its abominable action, harsh tone and the room in which it is situated.

When I'm at home, I practice on my lovely NY Steinway Model B. Miss it a buttload during term-time (and missing it now!).

Offline elias89

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 12:32:41 PM
Steinway K132     --very good for practicing

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 12:42:32 PM
On Friday afternoons, a two-year old Hamburg Steinway Model C, on all other days a Yamaha U1.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:39:42 PM
At my parents i play on a yamaha accoustic upright, at my place a yamaha clavinova CLP-950. Cheap but great  :)
1+1=11

Offline netzow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 01:45:11 AM
A turn of the century upright grand with a name plate that cannot be read, a high B flat that sticks, a chipped key that was bought for $150 5 years ago. It does have Ivory keys though.

Offline alwaystheangel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 04:39:19 AM
PETROF and yamaha upright, I think it's a U1, dunno, though...
"True friends stab you in the front."      -Oscar Wilde

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 10:49:27 PM
mine's a carl ecke upright. it's old and the entire thing is flat. and it's way too easy to play, and the tone sucks. but it's aesthetically pleasing so i still love it. i practice more on the kawaii's at uni during session, they have a nice little grand that's in demand by all the pianists (giant catfights of us all scrambling to book the room on monday mornings!)
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 12:25:37 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAA YOUNG CHANG!!!!!! NOOOO!!!

When I play on a grand piano every once in a while, and for recitals, it feels like I'm playing on god's piano  ;D .... I guess it's ok... I find it much much easier when I am in a recital, because I'm used to such a POS piano.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline bflatminor24

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 01:06:52 AM
Shigeru Kawaii SK-5 (7'0"). It's brand new, and beautiful, and I love it. I even chose it over a Bosendorfer.
My favorite piano pieces - Liszt Sonata in B minor, Beethoven's Hammerklavier, Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit, Alkan's Op. 39 Etudes, Scriabin's Sonata-Fantaisie, Godowsky's Passacaglia in B minor.

Offline bartolomeo_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 08:49:46 AM
At home I practice on a meticulously maintained WWI era Mason and Hamlin A.  At church I play an older 7 1/2 foot Baldwin.  When I accompany Suzuki kids I usually play on junky uprights.

Offline moi69

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 05:04:47 PM
yamaha GA1 and Alexander Hermann...
"Les pianos c'est comme les chèques, ça ne fait plaisir qu'à ceux qui les touchent" E.Satie

Offline xhunterjx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 09:48:05 PM
Kawai KG-2C

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 01:34:25 AM
I play on 3 different keyboard privately,

1) Yamaha C5 (Only got this 2 years ago, used for concert preparation and practicing pieces I have memorised, well understood and need polishing.)
2) Zimmerman baby Grand (I grew up with this piano and it has followed me all over the place, Used for practicing on, bceause it has a slightly heavier key action it makes my hands much stronger and well prepared for the lightness of the Yamaha grand imo.)
3) Yamaha Clavinova (which will be replaced in a few months time because too many repairs are needed from over playing and hard hitting, I use this for midi sequencing, recording all the notes of improvisation and just general computer/piano mucking around.)

When I teach I am always at peoples homes, so there are 25 or so different pianos that I play on every week during lessons. I might also wander to the Univeristy of West Australia and play on their Stienway, or Curtin Univeristy in Bentley and play on their Boston full grand they have in the Ken Hall Theatre if I have too much time on my hands.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 07:49:52 AM
When I teach I am always at peoples homes, so there are 25 or so different pianos that I play on every week during lessons.

Do you seriously go to that many people's homes to teach?  Why can't they come to your place and save you a trip?
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline sissco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 12:42:50 AM
I have an upright and it says "frankenbach" but I don't know what it is exactly  :P

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 01:01:32 AM
Do you seriously go to that many people's homes to teach?  Why can't they come to your place and save you a trip?
They can come to my place if they want to, but you know humans are naturally lazy, to have lessons at home and to have a teacher come to you, that is in much more desirable than having to go out to a teacher. Plus I hate having to tidy up for students coming to my place for lessons ;)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 01:32:08 AM
I play on the the 5' 10" Weinbach I bought in 1971 and had rebuilt last year. It always had a very heavy touch, even heavier now, but I like that. I seldom play anywhere else but when I do I usually find the lighter touch runs away with me and it takes quite a while to gain control. I did toy with the idea of buying a new one but I didn't like the sound or touch of anything in the shops and $5000 for a rebuild is a jolly sight more attractive than a minimum of $40000 for a new grand.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline kawaigirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006, 12:30:11 AM
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum.

The piano I play on is a Kawai GM10LE.

As for the late night practices..that's on my Roland RD300SX.

Offline steinwayb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 01, 2006, 09:28:50 PM
Lets see? look at my member name for a hint!

I also play a Yamaha U1D as a up stairs practice piano.

One more- a technics electric piano with headphone for late night Liszt...

THX, Jdot

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 02, 2006, 01:17:45 AM
i have a kawaii studio upright UST-7 which is really a great piano (has stayed in tune really well - but finally after all these years needs some serious regulating).

and, a hammond organ with two manuals and full pedals.  (need someone to come and fix it)

but, i would like to buy an electronic keyboard with 88 keys.  recording capacities.  and, maybe orchestral voices for composition purposes.  where does one look for one of these (around philadelphia) that would be weighted like a real piano.

Offline thetrojanhorse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 05:37:56 AM
2 Bosendorfers.  A 214 and a 275.

trojan

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 05:52:41 AM
two?  are you independently wealthy?  you must be an artist.  or very rich.

of course the thread did say 'play on.'  i suppose if you went into a piano store every day you could literally 'play on' your favorite instruments and not necessarily own them.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 06:26:10 AM
two?  are you independently wealthy?  you must be an artist.  or very rich.

of course the thread did say 'play on.'  i suppose if you went into a piano store every day you could literally 'play on' your favorite instruments and not necessarily own them.

Hey, hold on a minute - it's not as though he/she even mentioned a 290...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 06:30:00 AM
i have a boston gp 178. its a nice piano with great sound. i also have a yamaha keyboard just for fun.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 06:30:16 AM
A baby grand Mason & Hamlin (1928, fully restored 1981) and a Steinway B (1896, desperately in need of a complete overhaul - "like its owner", as someone will no doubt say - but it will sadly have to remain in that state for the foreseeable future, as I happen not to have the requisite £10,000 or so pocket change to remedy the matter).

Both somewhat wasted on me, I suppose, since I am not a pianist and, as a composer, I don't even use either when composing (I never compose at the piano).

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thetrojanhorse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 07:09:07 AM
The 214 is in my home in AZ.  I spend a lot of time at my godfather's vacation home and found a need for a piano there as well.  That's where the 275 came in.  Pianist...yes.  Independently wealthy? Not by AZ standards.

trojan

Offline sinspawnammes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 05:48:12 PM
But can you play these pieces on a real piano? Otherwise, it's actually easier on an unwieghted keyboard.

You'd be surprised.  It's actually harder to play on my keyboard because 1) my pedal sux, so I can't EVER cheat on legato passages, and 2) you can't pull off dynamics without pressing the notes extremely hard, so I've had to bash on the thing a lot.  I guess both those two help overall when you move to a grand with better action.

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 06:04:23 PM
A baby grand Mason & Hamlin (1928, fully restored 1981) and a Steinway B (1896, desperately in need of a complete overhaul - "like its owner", as someone will no doubt say - but it will sadly have to remain in that state for the foreseeable future, as I happen not to have the requisite £10,000 or so pocket change to remedy the matter).

Both somewhat wasted on me, I suppose, since I am not a pianist and, as a compoer, I don't even use either when composing (I never compose at the piano).

Best,

Alistair

Oh!  In that case, I will take them.
 ;D

Walter Ramsey

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 06:20:19 PM
Oh!  In that case, I will take them.
 ;D

Walter Ramsey

Sadly not, I fear! Nice try, though!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianochild

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 03, 2006, 06:35:33 PM
I play on a yamaha Clavinova, and i want a real piano bad!!, Even though they are sort of pianos, just electric its not like a real one. Sadly im only 15 and have a paper round, hardly going to earn enough to get a "nice one", i say nice as i would not go under £1,500 as that is my digital price, sothers ,no point.
Piano Obsessed

Offline jason2711

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: July 03, 2006, 10:38:08 PM
normally I play on an Offenbach baby grand at home.  I like it, especially when seeking to play furiously, but at the minute its gone a bit out of tune and a D is sticking, so I really need to get a tuner out...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: July 03, 2006, 10:44:52 PM
I currently play a Yamaha C3 at home.  It's around 20 years old, and my family bought it 2 years ago.  It has recently developed an annoying squeaky pedal that I have been trying to fix for months. 

I used to play a Kawai CX-5 before that.  It got quite beat up, and playing on it made it seem like playing almost any other instrument was much easier to achieve what I wanted. 

I also have a Gem F-30 spinet organ.  I'd really like one with at least 2 manuals and full pedals. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline moi_not_toi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 11:38:21 PM
I play  fairly old Wurlitzer Spinet.
It's pretty nice, but after playing on Steinways for a whole week, It doesn't seem quite as good.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Vote for Bunny!
Vote for Earth!

Offline richy321

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 02:50:26 AM
You'd be surprised.  It's actually harder to play on my keyboard because 1) my pedal sux, so I can't EVER cheat on legato passages, and 2) you can't pull off dynamics without pressing the notes extremely hard, so I've had to bash on the thing a lot.  I guess both those two help overall when you move to a grand with better action.

The second of these habits will not help you at all, in fact, it could be a shock to you when you switch to an acoustic piano.  When I practiced on an expensive digital piano (for 10 years  :-[ ) I thought pounding out as hard as possible would strengthen my fingers.  Wrong.  I found that I had lost all ability to control the softer dynamics on a real piano.  I has taken me nearly 4 years to regain control of  the p, pp, ppp ranges, and it's still a struggle.  I hope you can make the switch before too much damage has been done.

Offline banano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: July 06, 2006, 07:02:26 PM
 1 year-old Yamaha Clavinova CLP-130. Very good sound.

Offline moi_not_toi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: July 09, 2006, 06:41:07 PM
1 year-old Yamaha Clavinova CLP-130. Very good sound.
I like those!
They have them at UGA. Very good sound for a synthesizer.
If that's what ur talking about
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Vote for Bunny!
Vote for Earth!

Offline bella musica

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 06:08:15 AM
6'1" Young Chang, 16 years old.  I bought it when it was 13 but it was in practically new condition because it had just been for decoration in someone's house.  I'm giving some meaning to it's life now...
A and B the C of D.

Offline hummel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 09:49:33 AM
Boston - GP 163

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 09:41:05 PM
Im getting a Yamaha U3silent delivered next friday and cant wait!! when I teach out I teach on anything thats going ranging from some truely awful unnamed uprights to pretty decent new yamaha grands.  At college I usually used to work on either steinway model B's or Bosendorfer 275's occasionally a nice Bechstein grand and often a Yamaha C3 (they just bought a load more)

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 10:20:54 PM
I play on an upright Kimball. It's a piece of crap. I want to trade it in, but my mom likes it too much (considering she never plays it anymore).
"When I look around me, I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion and I must despize the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation beyond all wisdom and philosophy."

Offline klick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 01:48:03 AM
Kawai K-25 at the moment, but trading it in for a higher Kawai model. Should be here any day now   ;D. The K-25 lost its tune way too fast and I was finding the action was uneven over the board, so it was time for an upgrade :).
Ev/Klick

Offline kaiwin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 03:14:50 AM
Yamaha upright :-X LOL If I continue to play the Ocean Etude any longer I sware that my Eb string is gonna break. Doesn't have the tone quality you want like a grand piano but its great for practicing.

Offline firebolt145

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: July 22, 2006, 05:11:37 AM
I play a Yamaha Baby Grand, though I have a digital piano as well which I rarely use.
I broke three strings in one chord last week on my grand playing Mephisto Waltz (Liszt). Damn they're expensive to replace.

Once you become more advance and if you're commited to the piano my opinion is to NEVER use uprights or digital pianos unless as a last resort. And even then, I only favour Steinway, Yamaha and Kawai.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert