Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2  (Read 8366 times)

Offline kartman

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2
on: August 13, 2006, 04:55:02 PM
After lurking around for 8 months and making an occasional post here, I decided to join the audition game and post my first recording:

Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2

The dynamics and timing could've been better on the third page. The rest of the piece I'm happy with.
Looking forward to hear your comments!  :)

Offline pedroarvy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 05:43:11 AM
You's gots' de notes waaay down, now its time t'make it special.

It sounds likes ya' are audi-fivein' drough de moshuns wid dis piece.  Almost as if ya' are playin' along t'a metronome.  Ah' would likes t'hear ya' suffa' as ya' play dis piece. Ah' wanna feel de tears uh an impossible romance runnin' waaay down yo' cheeks as ya' play. Slap mah fro!

Now t'do dis, ah' dink ya' need t'play by 'esaggeratin' dese feelin's and den brin'in' it back fum dere.  It be often difficult t'change daamn characta' of ones playin' widout really pushin' it hard in de oda' direcshun fust. Dats what it is!

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:43:28 PM
   Possibly the most played nocturne for solo piano, the way the LH accompanied the RH melody was very good, you never bash the piano which is really good, the tempo was really good.    the only thing that might need some attention is the way you shape the melody. Thanks for posting. 8)
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 04:32:12 AM
I like your deep bass notes, they draw through as they should, they are warm, they caress the melody, nice. Your overall playing is very clean and tidy.

The eveness of your playing is good, the secret of Rubato in my opinion is to have a steady support (of your LH in this case) and let the melody be more free. I prefer to hear Chopin even and steady than tastless overdone rubato. It is funny, when I was younger I loved Chopin with overdone rubato but eventually I saw that the music will sound much better with more more control and restrain. and SUBTLE touches on the melodic lines.

The high Rh notes just before the ending needs to be much more gentle.

Nice work!

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:59:25 AM
agreed with lostinidle and the above posters, too, about freedom.  you definately have the idea of a sparkly singing treble.  the only thing i hear that sticks out is the 'too quick' arpeggiated chords.  i would take a bit more time. 

Offline hiline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:25:53 PM
Nice work !  ;)

By the way, if you don't mind, what is your piano brand? It sounds lovely.  :)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline kartman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 10:38:17 PM
Hey, thanks for all your replies! They're very useful. It's especially great that you can get feedback from different people here. 4-5 different opinions that are all worded differently, and that all stress different things. It really gives me a good impression what are the good and bad things about my playing.

After listening to my recording some more, I can only agree with all your comments.

Hiline: Cool to hear that you like the sound of the piano. It was played on a Kawai CA7 digital piano. Would you have guessed that it was a digital piano?

Offline hiline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 01:38:38 PM
Hey, thanks for all your replies! They're very useful. It's especially great that you can get feedback from different people here. 4-5 different opinions that are all worded differently, and that all stress different things. It really gives me a good impression what are the good and bad things about my playing.

After listening to my recording some more, I can only agree with all your comments.

Hiline: Cool to hear that you like the sound of the piano. It was played on a Kawai CA7 digital piano. Would you have guessed that it was a digital piano?

Never could I imagine that to be a digital piano.  8) You must be happy with that instrument, kartman.  ;)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 06:21:10 PM
im not a professinoal but all i can say is that  its beautiful and maybe a but to "rushed"
but really good work :)
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 06:35:58 PM
Itīs a lovely recording. very clean and good dinamics too. I just wish I could listen less to the left hand, but thatīs a problem with digital pianos. ;) Anyway, You make it beautifull. thanks for posting

Offline xinox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 04:56:52 PM
overall, very nice..

I've been playing this Nocturne for 6 months..

It is good (and can be better) but I really do not like your ending, try to follow written cresendo, and much, much slower..
And try to soft your LH ( I am fighting with this too)..

Speed: 45/80 <>
Bars: 22/83 <>
Performance: 1/10 <>

One day I'll wake up and play my perfect Ocean etude. That day I'll be simply...happy
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert